Page 283 of 392 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by TRD184 View Post
    Hey 18rg gurus! wondering if someone has had a similer problem to what im having with my 18rg at the moment, spent saturday morning changing my fuel lines to Aeroflow fittings, cleaned the car, and started driving to harry's cafe in liverpool, stopped for petrol, drove out the servo, then suddenly the car wouldnt idle at all. had to give it heaps of throttle to keep it from stalling, after that wouldnt start again even with start ya bastard, first thought was bad fuel, had a look at it, and it was totally spotless.cleaned all the jets, which weent overly dirty, still no good, checked spark which was good and strong, cleaned the plugs, which were pretty carboned up but not so bad. after which it started up just, but sounds like a rotary and pours fuel out the exhaust, barely running, it still feels good under load, but off throttle or idling it wont idle or run properly, shaking like nothing else. any thoughts? timing is good, spark is strong, lots of clean fuel getting to the carbs, and the jets are nice and clean...
    What about ignition timing?? Have you checked it with a timing light? Maybe your vacuum advance is also rooted?

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    That crazy 18RGT Corolla is back in the Top 10 4 cyls drag list
    I.
    love.
    that.
    car.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by cheviotrola View Post
    Can anybody tell me if smog gear has to stay with a smog equipped engine in a transplant? 1981 Hilux 18RG to 1977 Celica...
    Unequivocally yes if you want it legal.

The emissions requirements are essentially that you must meet whichever is the later standard, year of car manufacture or year of engine manufacture. What the car was released with is immaterial.

What you'll get away with is another question though. As has been pointed out it's not that likely that the rego people will pick the nuance of 18RG or 18RGEU. Personally I've had an 18rgeu with twin webbers rather than the injection gear. I had to connect the pollution gear for the carbs but no-one ever checked that I met the standard of the EFI setup on the 18rgeu.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    Unequivocally yes if you want it legal.

The emissions requirements are essentially that you must meet whichever is the later standard, year of car manufacture or year of engine manufacture. What the car was released with is immaterial.

What you'll get away with is another question though. As has been pointed out it's not that likely that the rego people will pick the nuance of 18RG or 18RGEU. Personally I've had an 18rgeu with twin webbers rather than the injection gear. I had to connect the pollution gear for the carbs but no-one ever checked that I met the standard of the EFI setup on the 18rgeu.
    Unequivocally? My engineering papers would suggest otherwise? Emissions requirements always used to be based on the requirements of the chassis and i wasn't aware that the NCOP changed this?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

nice datsun Backyard Mechanic TRD184's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    What about ignition timing?? Have you checked it with a timing light? Maybe your vacuum advance is also rooted?

yeah i checked it, was good, total timing is 32 degrees, swapped the dizzy from my RA40 just to be sure and didnt help, at any rate it was 2 things!! the car indeed has a vacuum leak! getting rid of the soft mounts i think... and the needle and seat ws stuck open on the back carb.
    my RA23 http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=57060&page=2"]
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    - Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Unequivocally? My engineering papers would suggest otherwise? Emissions requirements always used to be based on the requirements of the chassis and i wasn't aware that the NCOP changed this?
    I don't think the NCOP changes this, it's the ADR's. Engines need to meet the standards applicable for their year of manufacture, not the chassis. In real terms I couldn't gainsay your engineering papers other than note, the guy I'm using for engineering says there is no way I could expect to use 1976 ADR's for emissions on a gen 3 1GGTE when getting mine engineered.

I'm not sure how often the ADR's have been updated but perhaps your 1UZ and chassis are near enough in date of manufacture that the same ADR's apply for emissions. There is more than a decade between my chassis and engine but only a few years for yours no?

Pinched this stuff below from the NCOP thread

Summary of Emission Requirements for New Petrol Passenger Cars In Australia 1972 - 2010

Standard Date Introduced # Exhaust Emission Limits (petrol vehicles) Source Standard / Test Method
    HC CO NOx

ADR26 1/1/72 NA 4.5% by vol NA Idle CO test

ADR27 1/1/74 8.0 - 12.8 g/test 100 - 220 g/test & 4.5% by vol NA ECE 'Big Bag'

ADR27A 1/7/76 2.1 g/km 24.2 g/km 1.9 g/km US '72 FTP

ADR27B 1/1/82 2.1 g/km 24.2 g/km 1.9 g/km US '72 FTP

ADR27C + 1/1/83 2.1 g/km 24.2 g/km 1.9 g/km US '72 FTP

ADR37/00 1/2/86 0.93 g/km 9.3 g/km 1.93 g/km US '75 FTP

ADR37/01 1/1/97 - 1/1/99 0.26 g/km 2.1 g/km 0.63 g/km US '75 FTP

ADR79/00 1/1/03 - 1/1/04 0.25*g/km 2.2 g/km 0.25* g/km UN ECE R83/04 (Euro 2)

ADR79/01 1/1/05 - 1/1/06 0.2 g/km 2.3 g/km 0.15 g/km UN ECE R83/05 (Euro 3)

ADR79/02 1/7/08 - 1/7/10 0.1 g/km 1.0 g/km 0.08 g/km UN ECE R83/05 (Euro 4)

# where 2 dates specified, first date applies to vehicle models first produced on or after that date, with all new vehicles required to comply by the second date.
    + ADR27C introduced a number of administrative changes, based on procedures of ADR37/00.
    * ADR 79/00 has a combined HC+NOx limit of 0.5, so the HC:NOx split is indicative only
    "NA" means no limit applies.

So looks like there was a really big change in 86 and then nothing until 97 so I'd guess with your engine chassis combo, they were identical.
    For my combo it's a big change
    For Cheviotrola...doesn't look to be much if any difference so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by masterofsinanju; 30-01-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added some stuff from the NCOP thread

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

There's no difference in age, but the only pollution control gear i was required to have was the charcoal canister (on chassis), the PCV and a cat...that's it, which means a metric farkload of vac lines, valves etc went straight to the bin The emissions test was based on ADR standards @ year of manufacture eg if i now dropped in a 1UR it would still only need to meet the 1991 regs, not current Euro whatever standards.

I think your engineer is wrong, but they commonly like things as up to spec as is reasonable and it's their sig so they can ask for whatever they want in reality

As stated though, i doubt anyone would pick any difference in pollution gear from one 18RG to another...or from an 18RC for that matter
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

I'm not game to tell my engineer he's wrong, that might be asking for things to become more difficult. I just want the papers that say vroom.

For Cheviotrola though, if he's still at the stage before the engine goes in, I'd play carefully. Other stuff can always come off later.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Pollution shit which must remain (and will be looked for) is charcoal canister and PCV. Everything else is foreign enough to most inspectorates that they simply can't tell, and the pollution standards by comparison with current requirements (or requirements of the 90's even) are so lax, it isn't hard to meet. Remember the 18R-C had to meet Californian emmission standards, which were the Euro5 of the 70's. ADR27A didn't have such stringent requirements.

If you are concerned, I would add a catalytic converter, which should take some of the horrid smell out of the exhaust fumes anyway (unleaded is dirty shit, far worse for you than leaded)
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Some engineers will tick the emmission standard box by saying the later model engine was manufactured to stricter standards and so meets the chasis emission requirements as long as all the emmision equipment that was originally connected to the engine is in place including catalytic converters where applicable. Otherwise its off for an expensive emmision test to prove it meets the adr on the chasis plate.

Glen.
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Can anyone confirm the double valve springs from a 270 head can go straight into a 250 head? Is there anything else needed from a 270 head like the matching spring top?

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Best setup is put the dual springs inner one together the single spring.The have correct interference and just work great!
    Only that they don't allow high lifts..
    The retainers mix and match.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

anyone looking to buy one beautifull agricultural lump of cast iron and ally

seem ok but price is getting up there

Toyota 18RG 4 cyl twincam for Hilux, Celica, and Corona no reserve, $1 start | eBay
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

I need to know whether 4agze injectors will work fine in 18rgeu.
    they are twin pintle instead of single pintle.
    They are top feed, low imp so that is fine. But will the spray pattern affect it too much.
    ALso is anyone selling single pintle 300cc to 390cc injectors for same application?
    Last edited by Omegaman; 16-02-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

I think you want the singles man NQS

But check this thread the info is in there somewhere

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...ce-manual.html
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

i know the single are the way to go. but i can't find the 300cc to 390cc range to suit.

edit. got to page 9 of the turbo thread. seems dual pintle is out.. still reading though.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 16-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.