Thread: HELP! Toyota Aurion 2GR-FE V6 engone cold startup rattling noise

Forum Member

Default HELP! Toyota Aurion 2GR-FE V6 engone cold startup rattling noise

Hi everyone, I have tried to searched a similar thread from the forum but with no luck hence I created one, please help.

I recently purchased a Toyota Aurion 2007 presara from private seller.

However, after I purchased the car, I found there is a rattling noise from the engine at cold start.

The engine only makes rattling noise on the first cold start. It sounds normal on subsequent start ups and runs like a dream.

Please have a listen on the video clip on youtube, my car has a same engine and the rattling noise sounds exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMp7LELtNb4

I have put up this issue to other forum but no one can give me a clear solution.

Some suggested this is a normal sound from a dual VVT-i engine while others argued that the VVT-i controller must be replaced.

I have spoken to Toyota dealer on the phone and told them the symptom, they said the min charge of labor is $1500 dollars plus whatever parts are needed.

Do any people here have any ideas about the rattling noise and what caused it?

Do i need to get the car to the dealer to ask them to have it fixed and let them to rip me off?

Any idea will be welcome.

Thanks

Regards

Xcyrix

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: HELP! Toyota Aurion 2GR-FE V6 engone cold startup rattling noise

When was your last oil change? From what I know from other Aurion owners, it sometimes only comes around coming up to the 10,000km service interval, and goes away after a good filter/oil change. If it happens all the time, then the VVTi controller is failing and probably should be replaced.

Bear in mind that I haven't listened to the video yet (at work)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

This sounds like low oil pressure on start. Change the oil and filter, and see how you go. Remember than any oil thicker than 10W-40 will result in extremely poor VVTi operation or nil operation at all. Some clowns pay no attention to oil specs when changing oil and the next car buyer wears the consequences, a shagged engine!

The oil filter on the GR engines is not the standard cartridge jobbie and needs a tool that most of us do not possess to remove the filter element.

Luckily my son works at a local automotive servicing/ repair shop.

Cheers Chuck.

ps. I just bought an 07 Aurion Presara with 88k on it, top cars man.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by "Z" UTE View Post
    This sounds like low oil pressure on start. Change the oil and filter, and see how you go. Remember than any oil thicker than 10W-40 will result in extremely poor VVTi operation or nil operation at all. Some clowns pay no attention to oil specs when changing oil and the next car buyer wears the consequences, a shagged engine!

The oil filter on the GR engines is not the standard cartridge jobbie and needs a tool that most of us do not possess to remove the filter element.

Luckily my son works at a local automotive servicing/ repair shop.

Cheers Chuck.

ps. I just bought an 07 Aurion Presara with 88k on it, top cars man.

Thanks Chuck, what a coincident! My Presara 2007 is also just clocked to 88K!

The car was serviced from a Toyota dealer and the next service is due mid of this month.

It may be a little symptom to remind me to get the car back to the Toyota car dealer for service?

Hopefully by sending back to service center the rattling noise issue can be solved.

I read the log book and found the 90K service is a major service, I phoned Toyota and they are asking for $1000+ for a service, what a rip off.

But for peace of mind, I think I should go and let them have a rip.

It is good to see someone is having a similar car and we are both happy with them.

Cheers,

Xcyrix

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    When was your last oil change? From what I know from other Aurion owners, it sometimes only comes around coming up to the 10,000km service interval, and goes away after a good filter/oil change. If it happens all the time, then the VVTi controller is failing and probably should be replaced.

Bear in mind that I haven't listened to the video yet (at work)
    Hi Hiro,

Thanks for that. The last service was on 28 Nov 2013 (done by Toyota stealer) and the next service is due this month. It does not happen all the time but only happens on cold start in the morning. I will get the car serviced in a few days and see if I am luck enough to see the issue disappear. Cheers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

my aurion does the same thing
    all comes down to poor oil changes
    ive been slack and we had other issues too

the breathers in the orcker covers sludge up when they are poorly serviced , klugers and prados sometimes have same issues
    ours started blowing white smoke in mornings so I did 3 oil and filter changes in 3 weeks with good oil and white smoke went away
    I also removed front rocker cover and cleaned it but rear is too hard

a service prob wont help it, maybe look at a differnet oil viscosity
    ours still makes a noise on start up in the mornings even after the three oil changes
    its due for one this month so ill research if there is a better oil for it and try it

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The rattle on cold start is the intake cam gears (vvt actuators) as heard in the clip. We have revised gears where the pin is offset that fixes the noise. It takes about 3hrs to replace them and you need to replace both banks.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

my 2000 celica does the same on cold start, ive been told its the locking pin inside of the vvt cam gear.