Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3tc conversion to efi + turbo + rebuild

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3tc conversion to efi + turbo + rebuild

Hey all

Thought i might throw up my conversion in progress for anybody who might be interested.

Started out with a stock 3tc that I wrangled into my KE70 which while a lot better than my 4k still missed some oomph and didn't like corners all that much.

Decided I might have a crack at putting programmable timing on the engine mostly for the learning experience.

A Ford edis setup was purchased along with a Megajolt controller.

This setup worked well with the subaru coilpack but was unreliable at high revolutions. I believe this was due to the crappy trigger wheel that I made so I went back to dizzy until a better method could be used.

Carby then decided to pack it in.After much fiddling with carbies I decided I'd had enough and wanted some EFI goodness.

A 2tgeu intake was had along with a wolf 2d. A custom adapter was made and all put together.

A surge tank system had to be made and one completed I then had to get the damn thing tuned.

Decided i'd like to have a crack at tuning myself, so I bought a Techedge 2j1 http://wbo2.com/2j/default.htm and hooked it up. Took the car out to Baskerville and did some "tuning" Got the engine to the stage where it was running quite nicely but it felt like that was all I was going to get out of it.

That is where the engine is at at the moment. I've bitten the bullet and decided to do a rebuild and turbo to see if I can get some more power out of the old girl.

Low comp wiseco pistons arrived Friday along with forged Eagle rods. Engine will go in Next week to be put together. Then I just have to plumb it all back in and get a professional tune.

Default Re: 3tc conversion to efi + turbo + rebuild

very interested mate, ive got a 3tc in my ra28 just sitting there doing nothing, eventually i want to do something with it. keep us posted with your results
    87' z20 Soarer - 1jz Gt35r -

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Nice work mate.

Subscribed!

Looks vaguely familiar in some peverse way...
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Haha, love the 4AGE sticker on the rocker cover.

Thanks guys. Will definately keep you up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by NME308
    Nice work mate.

Subscribed!

Looks vaguely familiar in some peverse way...
    Had a look at yours and was very impressed.

I figure that mine is build to a budget also but with a rebuild thrown in. The total cost for efi with computer and programmable ignition would be sub $1000.

I actually had a setup on a previous 3tc that had a draw through stromberg.

Unfortunately me being an idiot it got low on oil, which meant the timing chain wasn't tensioned and it skipped a few teeth. Hello mr piston, meet mr valve.
    Managed to get up and down my street before it blew.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

ey i remeber this carby setup, as im pritty sure i build it how did it go on your car.

gotta love the 3tc's

im hoping all have some low comps and egale rods soon also. what comp did u go for? and what u end up getting the rods and pistions for?

dan.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane
    ey i remeber this carby setup, as im pritty sure i build it how did it go on your car.

gotta love the 3tc's

im hoping all have some low comps and egale rods soon also. what comp did u go for? and what u end up getting the rods and pistions for?

dan.
    Turbo was stuffed by the time I got it and blew smoke everywhere.

Went for the 7.5:1 but god know what it will actually make the engine. Rods and pistons were about $1100 delivered from the States.

someone say 2t-ze? Automotive Encyclopaedia gerald1's Avatar

ive got a 3t-c, well actually its a 2t-c with a 3t bottom end. I am currently looking at getting some of the original 3t-eu gear onto it sometime. I've found the manifold but still need to find a computer and a whole lot of time to get it to work.

How long did it take you to make the custom adaptor plate for the 2tgeu efi gear?

I am hoping to one day do a similar thing using 3tgte gear OR strap an sc12 onto it. I think it would be cool, adding some new to the old.

but currently I should just try and appreciate what it is cos i seriously lack the funds to do this... and its only been 3000km since the engine was rebuilt.

anyway its interesting to see someone else who has got EFI cranking on their single cam 3t. good work

Gerald
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

Front Yard and Backyard Mechanic white_sandshoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY View Post
    Haha, love the 4AGE sticker on the rocker cover.

+1!!! it's the little touches like this that confuse all the non-toyota lovers... hehehe
    "Think of it like customer service, but the customer is *not* always right. And, you'd rather not have their repeat business." - Mullett

"well I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine is a good start for me..."

Quote Originally Posted by gerald1 View Post
    ive got a 3t-c, well actually its a 2t-c with a 3t bottom end. I am currently looking at getting some of the original 3t-eu gear onto it sometime. I've found the manifold but still need to find a computer and a whole lot of time to get it to work.

How long did it take you to make the custom adaptor plate for the 2tgeu efi gear?

I am hoping to one day do a similar thing using 3tgte gear OR strap an sc12 onto it. I think it would be cool, adding some new to the old.

but currently I should just try and appreciate what it is cos i seriously lack the funds to do this... and its only been 3000km since the engine was rebuilt.

anyway its interesting to see someone else who has got EFI cranking on their single cam 3t. good work

Gerald
    Port spacing is the same for both the manifold and the head. I just took in the head, the 2tgeu manifold and an original manifold in and told them to make it fit. Only took them a couple of hours and cost $120. I supplied the Aluminum and that was the part that took the longest. Finding the right size stuff.

Dropped the engine in today with all the gear to get machined and put together.
    Getting the following things done off the top of my head:
    Deck Shaved
    Block honed
    Crank balanced
    Lightening the flywheel
    Adapting a holden pressureplate to the flywheel. (engine builder says he's done this to many 3t's before for both the t50 and w55,w58's.)
    Turbo cam grind
    Double valve springs
    Skimmed head
    New gaskets
    New bearings
    Then putting all the tricky stuff back together and i will put the final stuff back on myself.

4 weeks cant go by quick enough.

sounds good. I still think the 3t-eu EFI manifold is sexier so im gonna stick with it :-D

If you could get the camshaft grind figures/numbers off of him and post them up that would be great!

When i had my camshaft reground the blokes at the camtech cams said the standard springs are really pretty good and you dont really require double valve springs... but i guess it cant hurt getting them.

this build all sounds pretty rocking.

more info on the holden pressureplate setup?
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

Fair enough on the 3teu. Love the backyard look Toyota obviously went for

Will get the cam specs when it's done. I figure that the valves were meant for a certain pressure and now I'm going to chuck boost at them I may as well get the rate upped. Don't want all my lovely boost escaping

No idea on the holden stuff. He just mentioned it today. Sounds like a Holden pressure plate from the strait 6 modified to suit the standard flywheel. Then just the right clutch plate to fit the Gbox spline. He said there were ones for both the t50 and w series.

Got the engine back today finally!!

Need to run this bad boy in at the local track. 250 laps should be ~500km

Will tune it to around 11-12 lambda and run it without the turbo. Then can get it booked in for a proper tune.

Pics ahoy

yeah boy! looking good.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

good on you mate for going the 3T.
    i did something similar in my TA22 with a rather large (too large) turbo running straight LPG thru a gas research throttle body - went OK, but needed more LPG...