Thread: 2jz swap into an rx7

Default 2jz swap into an rx7

Hey, i'm prity new to this forum, signed up cos my rx7 is now half toyota

so here goes, car is 1984 series 3 rx7,
    has been thru a few different motor combinations over the last couple of years and made around 330rwhp before i decided to rip it out (after detonating on the dyno), and has sat under a car cover for the last 12 months..but is making a slow recovery after coming out of its coma, now running a 2jz (that has actually been in there since around june last year, soon with an r154 box heap of work still left to get it all running nicely, i've got 2 weeks of holidays to get it all happening and back racing again hopefully

also going to throw in a rack and pinion power steering as the steering is sooo heavy now

once everything is hunky dory, and hav had a few runs out at willowbank, twins will be replaced with a t51r (maybe a hks but probably a garrett), a microtech or haltech to keep it happy and 800cc injectors and then see what kind of power it makes and times it runs, rear tyres will be the biggest problem, as i'm not real keen on tubbing the car just yet, so anyways a few pics, also the engine bag will be given a thorough tidy up and a respray to match the rest of the car

first is the last rotary setup it was running..

the other few showing the new motor in there

and todays efforts
    because the radiator is sitting so much lower than the top radiator hose coming off the water pump, i'm installing a header tank up on the firewall that will be the highest point of the cooling system so i can ensure that all the air will be bled out of the system, i only really got as far as removing the radiator today as i spent most of the day driving around gathering bits an pieces

showing how much room there is up front

the missing top radiator hose..will probly make it in two pieces, as i cant find a hose that will fit,
    only really need 2 tight radius bends..so may even use silicon hose if i can be fucked

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: 2jz swap into an rx7

this will be odd - a turbo RX7 that doesn't randomly catch fire or destroy expensive engine seals whenever it feels slightly upset
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

80's stylin Domestic Engineer Sammich's Avatar

should certainly stir up the rotor heads as well

nice work on the conversion...actually surprised it fit without any dramas. More room up front in these things than there looks!

kudoz

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Odd but odd can be very cool

I've seen the 2jz swap done a few times into s6 rx7s in usa
    WOuldn't that be a sight? Opening the door to eighty modified Toyotas and their drivers. "Excuse me sir, we were playing with GoogleEarth and found a shot of your race track. Just thought we might pop by and say hello"