Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket throttle body - for 1UZ - what options are there?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Unhappy aftermarket throttle body - for 1UZ - what options are there?

hi guys

just wondering if anyone knows of any larger after market throttle body's for the 1UZ? due to engineer restrictions, i cant TT,single T or super charge the 1UZ in my 180sx, so figure i'll do some intake mods and get a couple extra horsies that way... plus a decent shot of Nos after i pass rego so yeah, what options do i have to upgrade and up size my throttle body?

cheers
    Greg

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Re: aftermarket throttle body - for 1UZ - what options are there?

the reason u cant put a blown 1uz in ur 180sx is the stock kerb weight wouldnt be over 1336kg, i had this problem with my ma61 - which i wanted to put a blown 1uz in.

Mods for more power:

Port and polish upper and lower intake manifold
    port and polish heads
    Buy some decent lift cams off lextreme.com
    i wouldnt bother upgading the tb, its well big enough for a 1uz NA
    Maybe try and delete some of the anti pollution bullshit - theres plenty on the 1uzs.
    Extractors are always goood
    If you dont want extractors soarer/ celsior headers flow better than crown
    aftermarket ecu - u can adjust timing, fuel, afr's etc

Blake
    Last edited by Robbos_Toyotas; 25-01-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Your best mods are extractors, exhaust, and ECU. These will make a bit of power. For any decent increase, you'll need a cam change. You'd need the former mods to facilitate this anyway so it's best they're done first. As Blake said, there is no point in a larger TB, it's plenty big enough.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

off topic sorry, frank - what happened to the ga61?
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Check under Callum's Celica XX, username H1TMAN or something like that in the Members section. I'd find it myself, but my internet is shaped.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeOrlando
    Check under Callum's Celica XX, username H1TMAN or something like that in the Members section. I'd find it myself, but my internet is shaped.
    its cool, shame on u for selling tho...mines sitting under my back deck awaiting a 1uz transplant - got 8k for the 302!!
    sorry to hijack thread

thanks guys. yeah, i've been talking to Ray Spence about the engineering side of things and he advised he wouldn't pass it and rego would knock it back... so for the time being, it'll be a pretty stock 1UZ.

i dont particularly want to open the motor, so as far as mods go, i'll have a custom set of extractors made, not shitty ones, but a good set, i'll then finish the header back system.. cold air intake and adaptronic ECU.. if u guys reckon the stock TB will be fine, then it'll stay..

question tho, is there a TB option available for the 1UZ's, that dont have the traction control butterfly? ie, just one butterfly not 2?

cheers
    Greg

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic KARNAGE's Avatar

if you had a bit of money you could always get the individual throttle bodies for it and some food trumpits on it, mix that with a good exhaust and a well tuned ecu and you will have lots of fun with that.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1jz180

question tho, is there a TB option available for the 1UZ's, that dont have the traction control butterfly? ie, just one butterfly not 2?

cheers
    Greg
    Yup, there is a non trac control TB. Easy just to mod what you have though? Took me 10 minutes with a hack saw and file to have a neat trac control free TB.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Thanks Justen.. will have a crack at that ...

the aim with this conversion is cheap.. not cheap shitty parts, but only doing the things i need to and picking mods based on the gains they offer V's the money they cost... at the moment, i'd love some trumpets, but it's a lot more work and money than i want to spend. after i pass rego, i'll look at other things i can play with..

just out of curiosity, what sort of gains power/response/torque would i expect to see from a set of trumptes over the stock TB??

Quote Originally Posted by 1jz180

just out of curiosity, what sort of gains power/response/torque would i expect to see from a set of trumptes over the stock TB??
    A bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question Depends on so much more than sticking some ITBs on. With only bolts on's ie good ITBs, exhaust, ECU i have seen an early UZ do just over 300hp flywheel......even with an unopened engine this is not cheap though, as any ITB setup will set you back some decent bucks.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

hmm, might give it a miss then... i learned after the 1J conversion that if i dont set myself a limit, i wont stop... and i'm tired of doing mods in other ppl's sheds.. need to get a house so need to keep a lid on this one

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    Mods for more power:

Port and polish upper and lower intake manifold
    Maybe try and delete some of the anti pollution bullshit - theres plenty on the 1uzs.
    Don't bother with the above ones.
    a) the factory 1UZ manifold doesn't flow very well at all. There are lots of gains to be made by removing it and replacing it with something better.
    b) there is no anti pollution 'bullshit' on a JDM 1UZ. None what so ever. (I'm not entirely sure about the ADM LS400 motor though).

But most importantly, you won't make much power without opening up the motor. Its a simple at that.

Try and get another engineers perception of the rule. Just because one says you can't do it, doesn't mean another won't say something different.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Don't bother with the above ones.
    a) the factory 1UZ manifold doesn't flow very well at all. There are lots of gains to be made by removing it and replacing it with something better.
    b) there is no anti pollution 'bullshit' on a JDM 1UZ. None what so ever. (I'm not entirely sure about the ADM LS400 motor though).

But most importantly, you won't make much power without opening up the motor. Its a simple at that.

Try and get another engineers perception of the rule. Just because one says you can't do it, doesn't mean another won't say something different.
    I wouldn't say that at all PeeWee...the manifold flows pretty well as evidenced by my 600+hp and have seen upwards of 800hp from others.

the issue is the torque curve the manifold's tuned length gives which results in peak hp at a lowish mid 5000rpm.

As you say though, for n/a you need to open the motor to make big hp....n/a power needs revs and stock internals will only take so many.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I'm just going by what Damien did with his ported heads, cams, ITB's (on the stock lower manifold).
    He picked up like 15-20rwkw over a tuned stock motor.

Granted there hasn't been enough research into using different lower manifolds (even though you yourself said you made gains by changing it and nothing else, IIRC), and all the companies selling ITB's making large claimed (albeit none substantiated by people who have bought the product).

I realise in FI the manifold appears to flow well, but anything will flow if you put enough boost down it.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS