Page 358 of 392 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358359360368 ... LastLast
Results 5,356 to 5,370 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

½ Bogan, ½ Dork Backyard Mechanic andrewzuku's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Hopefully you're not all sick of me yet...

The oil squirter bolt/nozzle for the timing chain was snapped when I bought my engine. The previous owner plugged it with a screw. So now my precious chain guides aren't being lubricated properly.

Being the 18R-G noob that I am, I didn't notice until after the engine was together, and I still haven't replaced it with the new squirter I got from stidnam.

Is there a way to get the snapped-off end out without dropping metal shavings etc into the engine? (an easy-out doesn't work).

Should I just accept that the motor has to come out

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

You could try stuffing lots of oily rags (dry rags are not as good) in there and a use a strong magnet close by to attract the filings while drilling and then keep swiping the magnet around till you get it all, you only need to use a 5 or 6mm drill then use a bigger easi-out, with the heat generated, this should come out easy.

Failing that, it is head off at least
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Get an left-hand drill..Hang ring magnet (from some old loudspeaker) around the stud and drill away.Use low rpm and push hard and the remains probably screw out nicely.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give that a go this weekend.

Meanwhile... I've managed to get the 2T-G + 18R-G Valve Timing Adjusting Guide (SST 09248-27010) as a .DXF file from Foxau2. He's given me permission to re-host it

It's also known as the 2T-G or 18R-G "Cam Alignment Tool".

18R-G_Valve_Timing_Adjusting_Guide.zip (64.7 KB)

The .ZIP file contains
    • Foxau2's original drawing as a .DXF
    • a stripped down version without text etc as a .DXF
    • An .AI Illustrator file
    • A .PDF

I'm waiting on a quote from a local waterjet cutting place. foxau2 was selling these for $50 USD in 1/8" (3mm) stainless, and $40 USD in mild steel.

I'll let you all know how much it ends up costing me.
    Last edited by andrewzuku; 04-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

I love you man.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I was reading through this entire tractor engine thread, and saw ra_28 was planning on doing exactly this. I contacted him, but his tool is in Qld while he's in WA. He put me onto foxau2 on 1stgencelica.com selling copies.

I got a copy of the DXF from foxau2, and he's giving me permission to share it

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Just a thought.
    Wouldn't these Adjust guides be useless 30 yrs later.
    I mean after chain stretching and worn guides, also the fact that most std cams now have a few degree's of adv or retard.
    It would be hard to use this guide and get things right, without having brand new chains etc.

I'm not sure. They should still be able to get the cam's notches at exactly 12 o'clock.

Unless they've been reground, shouldn't the standard cams be set there?

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
    Just a thought.
    Wouldn't these Adjust guides be useless 30 yrs later.
    I mean after chain stretching and worn guides, also the fact that most std cams now have a few degree's of adv or retard.
    It would be hard to use this guide and get things right, without having brand new chains etc.
    Your tensioner should take out any wear in guides and chain stretch. In theory cam timing should still be achievable.
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Ok, here's some more .DXF love from Foxau2...

18R-G/18R-GEU Intake Flanges and 18R-G Exhaust Flange as .DXF

18R-G_Flanges.zip (232 KB)

The .ZIP file contains:
    • Foxau2's original .DXF drawings
    • A consolidated .DXF drawing
    • An .AI Illustrator file
    • A .PDF version

[EDIT]
    I just received my quote from watercutting.com.au for the 2T-G/18R-G Cam Tool (they're just up the road from me).

$110 minimum order. I can fit 6 cam tools in the job.

It's going to be 6-8 working days. I'll put some photos up once they're done, and if anyone's interested, I'm happy to send one for what it cost me ($18.33) + postage.

I'd say they'll fit in a "tough-bag", so postage will be bugger-all.
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by andrewzuku; 05-03-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Oops, prices were Ex. GST

On a side note...

What are the negative effects of not having a crankcase breather on an 18R-GU?

(that's an old photo, but it has a clear view of the plate I mean)

I noticed my engine doesn't have one. I'm pretty sure it's a genuine 18R-GU block (engine number starts with 18R95... and it's upside-down when read from the intake side).

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

No great loss not having it, does help with the crank case breathing but not that important on a n/a motor. Mines blocked off at the moment and not causing any issues.

I will be going to use it but that's only because it's turbo charged and breathes a bit more than a N/A motor. I've run some fairly angry 18rg's in the past with no issues.

Alex
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Because there's such a large airway path up thru the timing chain cover you don't need the breather on the block. You very definitely need a breather though, even n/a, but the large one in the cam cover is usually sufficient. It's all I ran on my turbo RG with forgies.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

hi andrew
    put me down for one
    the cam tool that is
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

My death rattle has returned. I thought it was my top chain tension being too lose. I've tightened it up and the noise is back again. It's a metal on metal noise towards the front if the motor, engine has done 170miles since rebuild.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm