Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake squeal - NOW faulty pads perhaps... anyone seen this before?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

Default Re: Brake squeal - NOW faulty pads perhaps... anyone seen this before?

That is very lucky you found that before a failure occurred.

It has happened to me before also with rear drum shoes. The friction material seperated from the backing plate... corner entry on a spirited run, not fun at all. A couple of quick pumps of the pedal gave me line pressure again but it was brown trousers time!

I returned the shoes to the place I bought them from and got them to machine the drums where they had been scored by the backing plate.

The shop was extremely apologetic, but when I took it all apart there was a small amount of diff oil that had found its way onto the shoe lining. I think this might have helped the bond fail but I'm not too sure...
    Anyway my point is, check for any small sign of contamination (brake fluid, shock oil, anything)

The other thing is, current OEM pad manufacturers have a rule that if a pad is dropped at all, it must be binned regardless of how good it seems. Any idea whether your have been dropped?

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Little chance of contamination in this case, shocks are brand new, and dry, calipers are less than 2000km old, and dry, hubs are sealed well.

Pads haven't been dropped since being in my possession, but that's not to say it couldn't have happened prior.

Will see what the shop says tomorrow......

Thanks for the pointers.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Interesting, my QFM pads have been a bit squeaky but I put that down to them being totally underused. Might have to pop them off when I get a chance and take a look.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Default Re: Eliminating brake squeal

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla View Post
    Manufacturing fault perhaps? Anybody seen this before?

Cheers
    Phil
    I have seen it many a time while working at the dealer.

Pad separation happens to OE pads and to aftermarket pads; it is usually more common with aftermarket pads.

Generally the two most common triggers seem to be age (presumably heat cycling) and rust. (In the case of my dealer, it was rust due to road de-icing salt.)

I am not accustomed to seeing this on new pads.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

QFM will be very interested - recommend you contact them
    Your Hoppers kit will be using VT twin piston calipers. They are noisy as HELL when you don't apply that red anti squeal stuff, I've changed many a pad on these and have had these sort of complaints - until the red anti squeal stuff was applied

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Tried... couldn't get a response to email or phone. GSL Rallysport on the other hand were very helpful in discussing the issue, even though I hadn't purchased the pads through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grega
    Your Hoppers kit will be using VT twin piston calipers

VT Commodes run a DB1375 pad? Since when? The Falcon calipers in my Hoppers kit are still similar PBR design, though not identical. I've run these calipers (2 sets) with 4 different brands/compounds of pad, and only the faulty QFM's made noise, the rest were/are perfect.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

This is also a recall campaign item. It could cause a serious accident.
    Last edited by petergoudie; 22-11-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Oh crap, I should definitely check mine today.

EDIT: Pulled the pads off, no gap. Noticed two other things though:
    1: Absolute shitloads of brake dust. Everywhere. MUCH dustier than any other pads I've ran before
    2: KU31's are a fucking awesome tyre.
    Last edited by the_random_hero; 22-11-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

have you checked to make sure the backing plate isn't rubbing on the disc?

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    have you checked to make sure the backing plate isn't rubbing on the disc?
    ...I don't understand. The pads are only 15000km old, still around 80% meat left on them

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

the shield on the inside of the rotor
    Last edited by william; 23-11-2009 at 08:09 PM.

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla View Post
    Tried... couldn't get a response to email or phone. GSL Rallysport on the other hand were very helpful in discussing the issue, even though I hadn't purchased the pads through them.

i would contact them again and let them know you are talking about your problem on a bunch of prominent car forums and would like the matter attended to so you can close out your threads.
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen