Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any decent rear calipers with integral hand-brake

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

Default Any decent rear calipers with integral hand-brake

Hey people I am using some ae82 calipers on some corona disks right now on my custom diff I am using. Now the handbrake is giving me absolute hell, I only ever got poor locking ability out of it and now after a while I go and check and one side is not working at all anymore.

For those that dont know the ae82 calipers have a mechanical over-ride and a normal hydraulic piston in them working together (meant to be anyway!). I know I have the leverage right and all that so the problem isnt that. Also I used to own an ae82 and had a friends and it was the same story; all crap.

Now I am not a drifter and I dont give a crap about locking it up around a corner, I just want it to hold on a steep hill so it doesnt run me over. I also dont want to convert to a disk over drum setup. So what other calipers are available with this setup? I know R31 skylines have them also but I also know these can be troublesome. Is this design flawed and can never work right or is there an ok caliper out there?is there another option all together? and no I dont want two calipers and no hydraulic handbrake

-sam

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

Default Re: Any decent rear calipers with integral hand-brake

Series 6 RX7 Calipers, Sam. Very easy to mount, mechanical over ride handbrake built in.

and works well? not that it matters much but what size disk do they original suit? solid rotor?

I sayit doesnt matter because right now I am using a caliper made for a 230mm disk on a 280mm disk and it fits fine.

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

Made for 280mm disks from memory, i think they're a vented rotor but shouldnt matter how thick the rotor is if beld properly should it? From memory the rotor is only 17mm thick in vented form.

Works well, havent tested yet but you'd assume so. :-) I have some spare mounting brackets here for these rotors to hilux diff, straight bolt on affair (with rx7 disks that is) if wanted....

Cheers

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I'm going to say no there aren't any decent ones. The MR2 also uses this style and it is pretty much rubbish. My current setup works OK but it is using the pads with the highest co-efficient of friction I could find on a 324*24mm rotor. It still won't lock with the car moving at more than walking speed though.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

pretty much all mazdas use intergrated h/brake calipers, some nissan, ie 200sx,

what size disc does it have to cover? thickness and diameter? will make it easier to identify a caliper to fit,

you could ditch it all and go for a hydraulic handbrake (not road legal tho)

EDIT, dont go r31 calipers, they seize up like a bitch!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I am also about to use the AE82 calipers on my diff and in my research looked at the S13 caliper too. There seems to be a part available for them to increase the handbrake capability of the caliper (leverage) through the addition of a small part. It is of course marketed as a drift product.

I think the AE82 units will do for me and if they don't I will look at the S13 units.

I will be using the S13 rear disc.

280m diameter disk and about 13mm thick by memory

280m diameter disk and about 13mm thick by memory

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

I picked up a cheap set of AE86 rear calipers on US ebay recently, postage is only $39 in a flat rate box. They seem to go cheap and there is a set on there now at USD $0.99.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Nissan pintara wagon - but they'll be no better (and probably worse) than the mazda offering.

Thought about adding a hydraulic handbrake?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Q
    Hey people I am using some ae82 calipers on some corona disks right now on my custom diff I am using. Now the handbrake is giving me absolute hell, I only ever got poor locking ability out of it and now after a while I go and check and one side is not working at all anymore.

For those that dont know the ae82 calipers have a mechanical over-ride and a normal hydraulic piston in them working together (meant to be anyway!). I know I have the leverage right and all that so the problem isnt that. Also I used to own an ae82 and had a friends and it was the same story; all crap.

Now I am not a drifter and I dont give a crap about locking it up around a corner, I just want it to hold on a steep hill so it doesnt run me over. I also dont want to convert to a disk over drum setup. So what other calipers are available with this setup? I know R31 skylines have them also but I also know these can be troublesome. Is this design flawed and can never work right or is there an ok caliper out there?is there another option all together? and no I dont want two calipers and no hydraulic handbrake

-sam
    IMO, any change/swap/upgrade for something like this, whatever an AE82is, is probably going to be much more work then fixing or modifying the original.
    Were they totally inadequate right from the factory for everyone?
    Was the AE82 a much lighter car?

considering other posts, the E-brake system should be looked at by someone - all pivot points & cables & linkage & adjustments.
    What pads? Hard rear pads are great for endurance races & mostly usless on daily drivers with caliper and even disk temps at about 100C or less.
    Stock/softer/less area pads.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Id even go as far and say they are all crap. Thats why i went for the internal drum setup. works great!

The AE92 dont have as much problems as what i hear us ae82 owners complaining about.

Somewhere on the net there is some info on modifying the ae82 caliper handbrake cable mount to get more leverage.

I think its on twincam.org. I cant find it now though...
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I was under the impression the AE82 and 92 rear calipers were the same? Perhaps not?

Internal drum would be best for handbrake power but as far as parking goes all I have to do is turn the front wheels and the car won't be going anywhere, so it's no real concern for me.

If I ever have the need for handbrake use at speed for any sort of competitive stuff I will just fit an additional hydro setup.

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

Q:- But why calipers with integral hand-brake, when RT142's are so good..??

"how to fit RT142's rear disc's"

cheers
    Project: '82, GA61 XX