Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 1uzfe mods

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

Default Re: 1uzfe mods

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    I'm going to go against the grain here, I don't think it needs to remain an auto, but it depends what you want. Just because the car started off as a luxobarge, doesn't mean it can have some sporting nature about it, including a manual box. The car has stonk, it has decent suspension and decent brakes. It's not that dissimilar to your big German car ala previous model M5.
    My point exactly. If you want it to have more go, why not give it a gearbox that'll make the experience actualy enjoyable? By the way, the BMW M5 is 1,830kg, and comes in manual.

If there's no point making it a performance car, then what point is there in modding the engine at all? Just leave it stock.
    Last edited by Nim; 16-02-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    My point exactly. If you want it to have more go, why not give it a gearbox that'll make the experience actualy enjoyable?
    Hahaha, better factor in a V160 then, another $6k

If there's no point making it a performance car, then what point is there in modding the engine at all? Just leave it stock.
    200rwkw and 1800kg can hardly be considered a performance car IMO.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

You're not a 50yo doctor.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    You're not a 50yo doctor.
    or a bogan aussie with a BA gt
    If in doubt power out

Sports car then, whatever term you wanna use. And yes, if I had to chose between a manual Celsior and an auto, I'd chose manual. Perhaps I find just 'cruising' to be downright boring? I've driven a few auto cars, and never come accross one that I'd rather not have a manual box in.
    With 200rwkw at 1.8 ton, that's 111kw/ton. For comparison, a stock JZA70 has around 94kw/ton. I'd call that pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    As I said to you before, as you advance one cam, you RETARD the other. and vice versa.
    So when tuning a car, you're supposed to retard the exhaust cam while advancing the intake cam to get more overlap? That doesn't sound right to me.

Unless you mean that they're linked in such a way that if you advance the intake cam, the exhaust cam will retard... but I see no way that that is even possible.
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

My point exactly. If you want it to have more go, why not give it a gearbox that'll make the experience actualy enjoyable? By the way, the BMW M5 is 1,830kg, and comes in manual.

fair enough, but once you get a certain amount of power/torque ( ), then an auto can make it much more enjoyable!! ie you are not forever changing gears to keep up.
    manual is great for small cars with not so much power, but for heavier cars with a lot of grunt, an auto can be better... if it wasn't for snow, i probably would have gone auto with my current car...
    a good friend of mine with an XF falcon, went from auto to manual, to turbo (1bar on 4.1L motor ) and is now going back to auto because a) it's faster, and b) better launch control.

how many fast drag cars are manuals with a manually operated clutch?

of course each to their own, but once you start driving cars with serious gobs of power/torque (sub2L non FI does NOT count ) you may reconsider the whole manual/auto thing

anyway..... twinscrew the 1UZ, keep the A340e and have fun
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

So when tuning a car, you're supposed to retard the exhaust cam while advancing the intake cam to get more overlap? That doesn't sound right to me.

Unless you mean that they're linked in such a way that if you advance the intake cam, the exhaust cam will retard... but I see no way that that is even possible.
    Hmm, I may have my physics backwards here...
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

With 200rwkw at 1.8 ton, that's 111kw/ton. For comparison, a stock JZA70 has around 94kw/ton. I'd call that pretty quick.

but how many people on here would call 100kw/ton quick? thats about a stock spoontah??? 200kw/ton is FAST... ala a few cars on here...

as for cam gears.. study this pic
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

And this is why you're getting smashed in this thread, your 1UZ knowledge is lacking. The cams in the 1UZ, and all of the F series heads, use a scissor gear to drive the second camshaft.

They have one gear on one cam meshed with one gear on the other cam. If one of those gears turns clockwise then the other one must turn anti-clockwise.

See if this thread was one about, should I have torque low in the rev range or high then your input would be quite suitable. The fact that this thread is about modifying an engine that you don't seem to know a whole lot about tends to reduce the value of the input.

oldcorollas... once your into 'fast drag car' area, you have more power than is sane. Especialy for road use. Once you're up around the 350kw/ton area or higher, then yes, perhaps an auto would be better... and less likely to brake.

But we're talking about a 1UZ-FE powered 200rwkw 1.8ton car, not a drag car.

You sound scarily like a V8 commodore owner oldcorollas. I don't actualy find gobs of power that much fun. I'd much rather a smaller, less powerfull engine, with a manual box, in a lighter car.

You sound scarily like a V8 commodore owner oldcorollas. I don't actualy find gobs of power that much fun. I'd much rather a smaller, less powerfull engine, with a manual box, in a lighter car.
    i think 350kw/ton is a little much also, but there is a MASSIVE jump between 100kw/ton and 350.... 1JZ747 (according the the zoom i brought back with me ) has about 330kw in the cressida.. what does it weigh?

but your above comment.. you would prefer a smaller engine in a smaller car with a higher powerband. thus... by logical reasoning, a 1UZ is not for you.. so you should stop bagging it out

i appreciate all cars and motors. I have an NA 1.3. I have a turbo 2L. i used to also drive a 320E merc and a occasionally a BMW 325. I hope to build a proper SC 1.6, and i would dearly love to build a proper SC 1UZ. by proper, i mean optimised for about 18-20psi, with a usable rev range of about 2000-8000. it is possible, you just need to MOD it correctly....

a big car with stupid amounts of torque could be fun much much fun measn you don:t even need to try... what was that merc? SL55AMG? i saw one ot those recently around here, and in Sydney i saw one demolish a HSVGTR... big car, lots of torque, regardless of gearbox = FUN

seems ike a good place to lock this...

want to continue talk on the 1uz gear/cam arrangement:
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...2149#post52149

ended...
    Last edited by ed; 16-02-2006 at 02:25 PM.
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38