Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3sgze Vs 3sgte

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Default Re: 3sgze Vs 3sgte

mine has equal length driveshafts due to the box i use, thats why mine doesn't suffer torque steer
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

3sgte is the way to go in my opinion. Torque steer in my camry is hardly noticable with equal length shafts.
    I have never really found traction a problem either, even with stock suspension and standard 195's on the front it would out launch a wrx unless they wanted to destroy there clutch.
    Ran 13.8 at drags with standard $90 195's, open diff, heaps of crap in the boot and 100% stock 3sgte on standard boost
    having all of the weight sitting on the driving wheels seems to help

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

The s53 g/ box in my st162 must have equal length shafts then. the driver's side has the half shaft with the bearing, which is bolted to the back of the block..

that would be standard in all 3sge 162's.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camrygt?
    3sgte is the way to go in my opinion. Torque steer in my camry is hardly noticable with equal length shafts.
    I have never really found traction a problem either, even with stock suspension and standard 195's on the front it would out launch a wrx unless they wanted to destroy there clutch.
    Ran 13.8 at drags with standard $90 195's, open diff, heaps of crap in the boot and 100% stock 3sgte on standard boost
    having all of the weight sitting on the driving wheels seems to help
    how much does you camry weigh? (out of curiosity)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

Have you considered a late model 3S-GE with some cams+exhaust+intake?
    N/A power man, it's where it's at!

... but it's expensive...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

yeah i have considered it. But when I eventually got used to it I would want more, and easiest option for that is 3sgte, new turbo/up boost etc. More power easier than higher compression from new pistons etc.

mmMMmm 13.8 stock. That does sound tempting.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Yeah, I'm like that too. When that S14 blew past me without trying, I was like "I want turbos. "

But then when I blew past him in the corner I was like "hrm, your coilovers not as good as my stock suspension? Awesome!"
    I love taking corners quick, and the fun and responsivness of N/A is just fantastic.

But then, if you'd rather go in a straight line fast, I totaly understand that too. Just expect your handling to suffer a little.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

camrygts 3sgte is from an st205, gen3. and yes fwd are ok for drags, but you have a little more trouble getting evenly off the line, unless you take off with little preloaded throttle

Nim if you blew past an s14 with coilovers in a corner, i dare say he wasn't trying
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Ive got a feeling you might be right Wiso. There is no doubt an S15 is a damn nice piece of machinery, no matter who makes it. Sexy too! I know Id sell all my cars for one.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

The S14 was pushing it. He said he was bloody impressed with my ability to corner... and 'blew past' might not be as accurate as 'was going a bit faster than' (he had let me catch up, 'cuz on the straights he was so much faster it wasn't funny). The GT-R I had a play with on the same night could take a corner a bit faster, but he was running coilovers, and semi-slicks so it's kinda expect. The main test was when we entered a corner neck and neck, while he did have the inside line, so had to turn harder, like I said he was well up-spec from me. I was sitting neck and neck with him up to about 2/3 the way through the corner (with his tyres making those 'I wanna lose traction' sounds) which was rather surprising... ofcourse on the exit of the corner I was left practicaly standing still compared to him...

I'm not saying the VTiR is the fastest cornering machine in the world. And it's by no means a super powerfull car, but it is surprising that some cars I wouldn't expect to have a chance against have so much trouble shaking me.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Honda did great work on the Integras. They're not one of the best handling FWD's for no reason, and it doesnt surprise me that you could out turn a silvia. Power at the front can be a great asset when used well.

Yeah, I like my Integra. It's just a VTiR though. The suspension is far too sloppy for taking corners REALLY hard, it has no LSD, and it rides too high.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    how much does you camry weigh? (out of curiosity)
    the rego says 1170kg but after conversion it was 1350kg on the weighbridge for engo cert.
    its a gen 3 3sgte, made 165Kw at the fronts with standard everything except the airbox which is half the size of the one in the GT4 and the front heat exchanger which is also about half the size it should be.
    takes a fair few mods to get the same power from an SR20 (or most other 2.0L motors)

Quote Originally Posted by camrygt?
    the rego says 1170kg but after conversion it was 1350kg on the weighbridge for engo cert.
    its a gen 3 3sgte, made 165Kw at the fronts with standard everything except the airbox which is half the size of the one in the GT4 and the front heat exchanger which is also about half the size it should be.
    takes a fair few mods to get the same power from an SR20 (or most other 2.0L motors)
    ... Ya what? That's a fair wack of power! I didn't know the 3S was that ballsy.

But really, what other 2.0L motors are you talking about anyway? Of course comparing to N/A engines to turbos is silly, so the main turbo 2.0s I can think of are:
    FJ20 - 205kw (earlier models had more like 190kw)
    4G63 EVO engine - 205kw (again, earlier models had more like 190kw, and of course the one in the Gallant had less, like 170 or so I think)
    SR20DET (Redtop) - 150kw
    SR20DET (Blacktop) - 170kw
    and the 3S-GTE

So really, the 3S with 165kw atw is only beating the SR20 (and so it bloody should! Who puts rockers in a non variable cam engine? I mean really).

I don't really know where I was going with that... but yeah.
    Last edited by Nim; 15-02-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    ... Ya what? That's a fair wack of power! I didn't know the 3S was that ballsy.

But really, what other 2.0L motors are you talking about anyway? Of course comparing to N/A engines to turbos is silly, so the main turbo 2.0s I can think of are:
    FJ20 - 205kw (earlier models had more like 190kw)
    4G63 EVO engine - 205kw (again, earlier models had more like 190kw, and of course the one in the Gallant had less, like 170 or so I think)
    SR20DET (Redtop) - 150kw
    SR20DET (Blacktop) - 170kw
    and the 3S-GTE

So really, the 3S with 165kw atw is only beating the SR20 (and so it bloody should! Who puts rockers in a non variable cam engine? I mean really).

I don't really know where I was going with that... but yeah.
    the gen 3 is pretty ballsy stock it makes significantly more power than gen 2 and 1

I was comparing it to 2 litre turbo motors of similar years ie mine is a 94 model back then WRXs, evos, even 6 cyls like rb20, 25 all had less power than toyota's claimed 191KW.

And remember 165KW that is the wheels with all running gear on the motor, on a uncorrected dyno. The same dyno saw only 160Kw atw from a 1J in a cressida, auto with exhaust, pod and boost wound up, and 140Kw atws from a SR20DET running 15 psi, big front mount, exhaust and a well tuned microtech

On 15psi it made 173kw atw's with a worn turbo and now with just a turbonnetics to4 bolted on (standard management still) it feels like much much more (I've just been to lazy to strap it to the dyno yet)