Thread: RA60 Celica - suggestions? advice?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RA60 Celica - suggestions? advice?

I have a 1982 RA60 Automatic Celica with 21R-C engine that I want to drift. I live in Brisbane by the way but possibly moving to Launceston soon.

I have a few questions, first, I want a bit more power out of it so if anyone has any advice of what I could do to the 21R-C to get more power out of it.

Next one is, if its just not worth bothering with the 21R-C, anyone know what engine would suit? I dont necessarily need a shitload of power, just want enough to be able to slide. N/A or turbo, doesn't really bother me, just whatever will give me enough power and correct weight etc.

Also, obviously need to get it manual, not sure what gearbox etc to use, most people have suggested W58 box, would this be a good way to go or not?

For LSD, I want a 2 way, I think I can get a Cusco from AJPS, but anyone know anywhere else I can get an LSD for my car.

Also with coilovers, I can get some from AJPS, but once again what other options do I have as far as suspension.

But just for now until I know what to do to set it up so it can drift. There's brown stuff mixed within the coolant, there is still some green but yeah fair bit of brown in there too, I have heard alot of different possible reasons for this such as rust etc, it doesn't fully over heat, but sometimes it does get quite close to the red.

Also, when the engine is cold it runs really rough and really low revs and blows a fair bit of black smoke, but at one certain point it just jumps up and idles normally (around 1000rpm) and stops blowing smoke, anyone have any ideas what this could be?

I think thats about it for now, any advice/suggestions/help even about anything else I haven't said would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

Default Re: RA60 Celica - suggestions? advice?

black smoke is the auto choke, mine does it.
    ditch the 21RC, in favour of pretty much ANY other engine, sr20, 4age, 2jzge, commo v6.
    w57/w55/w58 doesnt make any difference.
    If its track only just weld the diff.
    Ma61 whiteline swaybar front will fit, coilovers would be fine but they can limit wheel choice depending on where the spring perch is welded on.
    stock handbrake is pretty rubbish to so a hydo would help.

good luck with it.
    check this thread
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...500#post487500
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra