Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Ocean Road Crusie

Is a Self Employed Grease Monkey wombat's Avatar

Default Great Ocean Road Crusie

yes I know this has been posted a million times.
    but the TCCA is planning to have one next year, which I have been asked to plan out.

so what I need is some good roads up that way to travel on, also the beest times to go, aiming for the summer months of course.

as a date is selected I will re post to let people know

so suggestions please.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder Classique71's Avatar

Default Re: Great Ocean Road Crusie

ironically i had thought of this as i did a ocean road cruise yesesterday witht eh parents

I have 2 routes to choose from , - or a 2 day cruise schedule already made including the otways hills and a few of the more sceneic bendy bits on good roads

the GOR itself is about 3/4 Ok now - all double laned , and still has roadworks about 10 KM this side of apollo bay - thaty causes delays - otherwise its all good or seems to be

theve put in more turn out lanes , but yeah 80KM's all the way along , all double lines - and i spotted one camera car - and a mobile radar uunit ... on a thursday ..helps being a local , sometimes , doesnt it ?

Anyway - the routs are there - 2 x 150 - 170 KM round dtrips to choose from , so you can get down , and back in good tme from the city
    Saphira - ST205 Celica GT-FOUR Group A NZ No:1/4
    "Mongrel Garage - back on Aussie soil! "

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Now this does sound good hopefully some people might attend this event, cause we all had a good time on the last TCCA run. I keep hearing of this cool Toyota but not seeing many.

lol - i keep hearing about this grey gt4 im meant to own .. I see loan repayments coming out - but no metal in my garage

havent seen it ina while so i dunno if its true or not ..

( hopefully ill have it back before xmas with the new brakes - otherwise its coming back regardless - sick of having no car )

so do you think you could e-mail me the route of the 2 cruises please?
    could be good to have both options available.
    plus when we do this that so called piece of metal may be able to come along!

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Any chance of making it on a Sunday? I've been interested in a few cruises that TCCA have planned out, but they seem to fall on a Saturday and I need to sleep during the day (in between 2 graveyard shifts)...
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Ill post the routes in here so everyone has ain idea of what i worked out ..

both routes start at colac - its the nearest place to both start and end routes with 98 ron

route one Colac - Lavers hill - Apollo bay - link back to colac Via forrest ( no main ocean road section , mostly hills thru the otways but very sceneic and flowing - all roads VGC - 172 KM round trip approx

things to see along the way with short detours : Otway Fly treetop walk , Triplet falls ( very pretty ) Hopekins falls - slightly more major detour but still pretty )

Route two - Colac - Deans marsh - Skenes creek to Lorne Via nicest section of ocean road then back to colac

Things to see - well - lorne beaches for starters - if anynes up for a swim , though apollo bay has nicer beaches + surf IMHO

Route 3 i had last night - which ill have to work KM's on but covers everything pretty much in one day bar a really nice cruixse back up thru the otways ..

Colac - Lavers hill - Apollo bay - lorne - back to colac - its about 200 KM's but its a Really nice round trip.

On this route you can still see the beaches , otway fly , and triplet falls with a 10 minute detour - worth seeing to break up the cruise if people want to look at stuff as well

There are roadworks continuing along the ocean road on the melb side of apollo bay - which did cause delays - but the rest of the road was pretty good .. id stress using the ocean road as a cruise only - its going to be heavily policed over the new years break - and is all double lines now so you cant pass ( though theres plenty of slow vehicle turn outs - folks juyt have to use them ) - It would suck for someone to loose their licence on this

On another good note - My brother now , is also the new bar manager at the lorne pub - So i can organise lunch there pretty easily for a group - meals are top notch - range from 12 dollar bar meals - to top line 25 dollar approx restraunt meals upstairs ..

car requirements are pretty basic - good brakes are a definate - though most on here have that covered . Good tyres , ie no really worn ones - roads are usually damp thru the hills , and covered in leaf litter , and of course working windows cause youll want the windows down for the scents of the gum trees and seaspray - Adds to the fun

As for my piece of metal - ill hopefully know more tuesday .. atm i dont think ill see it before Xmas unless im lucky so this might be a good after new years cruise when all the tourists have buggered off home .
    if it doesnt have its brakes on in the next 2 weeks - im bringing it home regardless as ive got a Show and shine to plan for early january ( ill post details if anyones interested in coming down this way for it )

Any other questions you have wombat - bombard me mate - ill get whatever you need

they sound like some good options, and considering the road works we'll probably only hit the ocean road for a little bit, but yeah, If you can give some road names that would be great. Good luck with the car dude. oh what's the show and shine you gotta enter?

Yian I am think that this will be a sunday crusie anyway. sometime next year as well. probably late jan early feb.

so hopefully we can get some more people to it.
    mind you if the old forum is going then I guess we'll have to post it on there too.

i will endevour to get names - but the ones off top of head are

colac - lavers hill road

great ocean road ( obviously - this encompasess the leaving point from lavers hill all the way to the other side of lorne )

colac forest road i think .. ( to get back to the princes hwy )

show and shines mid january here in colac - custom rod and bike show ..

attempting to ahve the Gt4 up to scratch to show by then , if the whole brakes thing goes to plan this coming weekend

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

Good luck Stu, hope all goes well, i might have something for you too

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

Sounds like a plan.. I'm probably in.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

so has this thing happened or is it still in the planing? if its still on ill be in whent for me first drive down it on SAT it was great, as for the 80 speed limit i was sittin on 120 most of the way and didnt get gone
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Give it time - you will be

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Haha... I drive like a grandma in most cases... So I do hope this cruise is somewhat... errr... tame?

I plan on keeping all my points on my license.. which I have done for a while now.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F