Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Ocean Road Crusie

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Default Re: Great Ocean Road Crusie

Divine sausage rolls?? This I gotta experience...
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Is a Self Employed Grease Monkey wombat's Avatar

hey all sorry I've been working to much to reply to most of this.
    I'll be reviewing SS planed cruise, but as for time for a TCCA one it won't be for a couple of months.
    Me and Rinmax are actually going down there to check out some roads tomorrow for a cruise to be held in late march. have another one big one down there 2 months after that.
    but at the same time I gotta alternate curise from each side of town, I think april may have a cruise from Emerald to Diamond creek.
    After that I'm unsure.
    but as for GOR runs they will be on when it's not school holidays.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder Classique71's Avatar

start of feb = outside of school hols - this is why id suggest this as a clint/feb cruise - the kids go back at the end of jan

Anytrhing after april and the weather starts to get ordinary

wombat/rinmax - if your thru colac way - let me know - would be nice to catch up while your down checking stuff out

and clint - even if this doesnt go ahead when you plan to come thru - your still welcome to stop thru here and ill take you about ..

bring on 2006 guys - the year of the vic cruise maybe ? we nered more of this sorta stuff happening.
    Saphira - ST205 Celica GT-FOUR Group A NZ No:1/4
    "Mongrel Garage - back on Aussie soil! "

Is a Self Employed Grease Monkey wombat's Avatar

classique
    we will be up that way so pm me your number or jump on msn
    [email protected] is me.

we'll call in on the way through. plus some extra suggestions would never hurt.

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

actually i think i recommend the reverse of my above route; basically prefer winchelsea to lorne to skenes creek to birregurra for a few reasons;

1. winchelsea an easy place to meet up and fuel up
    2. can meet in winchelsea between 10am and 10.30am, leave at 11am and still be all parked and settled in lorne for lunch around 12.30 without rushing, then drive the afternoon away on a full stomach with focus levels high
    3. can stop in apollo bay mid afternoon if that's desired
    4. i prefer the skenes creek to birregurra run in that direction, rather than the opposite/alternate
    Last edited by SeptemberSquall; 08-01-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Hey, I knocked this up, have a look if you like, especially Stu.

Recommended programme;

1. PRE-MEET POINT
    (for Melbourne boys)
    BP Little River
    Geelong Road, Little River

TIME - MEET: 9.15AM APPROX
    TIME - DEPART: 9.45AM SHARP

BP is halfway between the Ring Road/Geelong Road merge at Brooklyn and the Geelong city limit. There's a BP on each side of the highway, and both of them advertise $6.99 Bacon and Eggs with a banner about fifty times bigger than you. Understandably, there is a heap of truck parking here, so hopefully room for a few battery-powered toyo-boxes. Good place to get 98 octane fuel for the day, and fuel yourself too if you've had no breakfast and you think $6.99 for microwave bacon and eggs is a good deal. Understandably, meet at the outbound-side BP, lol.

2. MAIN MEET POINT
    BP Winchelsea Roadhouse
    Princess Highway, Winchelsea

TIME - MEET: 10.30AM APPROX
    TIME - DEPART: 11.00AM SHARP

There should be 95 octane fuel here, but no promises. If you didn't come from Melbourne, or you were too slow to the premeet point to have time for your bacon and eggs, more greasy roadhouse food is available here. We collect here and work out a basic pecking order for the procession into Lorne.

SPECIAL STAGE ONE

TO: Lorne Pub

There's some long open straight sections across the flats to begin with, nice to settle in and work out who's going to want to cruise faster than another etc. By the time we get to the twisty section at the coastal mountains for the climb and then decent into Lorne, we should have established enough space and enough of a processional order that nobody comes afoul of anyone else.

[B]3. LUNCH MEET POINT/B]
    Lorne Pub
    Lorne (duh!)

TIME - MEET: (depends on your pace!)
    LUNCH: Seated at 12.30 SHARP.
    TIME - DEPART: 3PM SHARP.

Meet at Lorne Pub to remedy all troupe members poisoned as a result of their inability to get organised early enough to make breakfast and their consequential consumption of roadhouse plasti-bacon and instant eggs. Seated by 12.30PM, out of the Pub by 2.30 PM, cars rolling at 3PM sharp. Not too many beers yet, the best part is yet to come.

4. SPECIAL STAGE TWO
    TO: Apollo Bay

Depart Lorne, hopefully with a better idea of who wants to lead and who wants to follow. The GOR ahead has relatively new sealing in most sections but is double lined (no overtaking) and in most cases only patch-resealed, ie. new shoulders and broken sections filled, not new shoulder-to-shoulder tarmac) and is consequently a little changable. Consider yourself warned. Turnouts are available for slower traffic to yeild approximately every kilometer, but sometimes are missing for a few kilometres, be patient, not crazy about this fact!

Enjoy the Monaco Effect out around Wye River.

Arrive Apollo Bay and collect at a convenient gazeebo in the park near the skate park. Coffee and Bakery is available for human refueling. If you skate, bring your skateboart maybe. Peruse the beach. Collect and depart when desired.

TIME - MEET: 4.30PM APPROX
    TIME - DEPART: BY 6.00PM APPROX

5. SPECIAL STAGE THREE
    VIA: Skenes Creek
    TO: Birregurra

Depart Apollo Bay, returning Eastbound along GOR to Skenes Creek (5km east of Apollo Bay. Turn where appropriate and climb the mountain. Best part of the trip, over the mountain and decent back onto the plains to Birregurra via Beech Forest area. Tight corners, short straightaways, meaning good fun at safe speed and also beautiful forest scenery to boot.

6 FINAL MEET POINT

Play Equipment
    Main St, Birregurra

Gather about at the playground on the left as just entering Birregurra. Swings and slides abound for weary travellers. There's a trendy eatery there now, dunno if it's any good or even if it'll be open. Never mind. By this stage it'll be about 7.30, tending towards 8+PM, probably darkening before everyone breaks up and filters off. Break up from here to return to your respective points of origin. Princess Highway is a stone throw away, easy cruise back for those who are heading back to Melbourne. A full tank of 98 octane should get most from the BP in Little River to the BP in Little River, remember it's on both sides of the Geelong Road. If you're hungry, there's always the plasti-bacon and microwaved eggs on offer while you refuel the car.

Open to suggestions or queries.
    Last edited by SeptemberSquall; 08-01-2006 at 02:51 AM.

Wow... massively early start. Let us know a definite date Stu/Clint.

I'll need to take the weekend off, otherwise I'll be half asleep at the wheel (graveyard shifts over the weekend).
    SHE LIVES!

If we don't start early we will not
    a) make it to Lorne for lunch
    b) get to Birregurra before the light fades

nods - SS is right - if you want to have a good day its a FULL day - the drive back from here to melb is fairly sedate - takes about 2 hrs all up from colac to melb cruising so you wont be home all that late unless your WAY out eastside yo ( might be good reason to make this a saturday cruise - so those who work mon to friday have a chance .

Id most likely meet you midway between winchelsea and lorne too - or straight in lorne for midday - saves doubling back on myself ! if clint and i leave early enough we'd be well in lorne before you guys come thru

My cousins own the Birregurra pub - food is top notch - so in lorne and in Birregurra - major foodstops can be arranged quite easily !

isnt that handy for us ?

As a side note - those with handheld cb's should bring them !

Quote Originally Posted by Classique71
    Id most likely meet you midway between winchelsea and lorne too - or straight in lorne for midday - saves doubling back on myself ! if clint and i leave early enough we'd be well in lorne before you guys come thru
    Bah, don't be a pansy, come to Winchelsea for the start.

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

Sounds good SSI, is there an actual date yet?

i should be able to make this meet, and Yian, u wanna meet up first?

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberSquall
    If we don't start early we will not
    a) make it to Lorne for lunch
    b) get to Birregurra before the light fades
    Ack, don't get me wrong. I wasn't whinging about it being too early. It's just, if I don't get time off work, I'll finish my shift at 8am, and leave straight for the cruise... Somehow I don't think it'd be too safe to drive after a whole night of not sleeping.

So a concrete date would be very nice (and soon too... we all know how bosses love the short notice on taking leave)

Quote Originally Posted by da_horse
    Sounds good SSI, is there an actual date yet?

i should be able to make this meet, and Yian, u wanna meet up first?
    Yeah, I'm all for that.
    SHE LIVES!

heh - might be a good thing for you huy - grab those brakes off me at the same time ?

Im just a set of hoses away , and fuinishing touches for having my big fronts up and running to

Hi,

Not sure on a date. Mid-Feb was bantered around; what about Saturday 18 February as an initial tentative date? Comments welcome on this one.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    I'd be looking at being in Melbourne for the weekends of February 4/5th and 11/12th - with the latter being my preference at the moment - also gives you guys decent lead in time to organise too.
    Just confirming I'll be in melbourne from Feb 6th for approximately a week. I'd like to be back in Perth on the 19th to play baseball, but if I can't make it back by then, I will definately want to be back for Feb 26th.