Thread: What manual transmissions will mate to a 4Y-E engine?

Forum Member

Default What manual transmissions will mate to a 4Y-E engine?

I'm making a sports car (a Locost - Lotus 7 replica) from a donated 1989 Toyota Van with a 4Y-E engine and auto trans. I'd like to switch to a manual tranny.
    I know they did make manual trans for the Van, but as I'm on an island in the Pacific, I can't hold out for one of those to come my way, besides, the shifter is on the side and uses two levers and some sort of cable arrangement.
    I'd like to find out which bell housing will fit the 4Y-E and which transmission will fit that bell housing. And of course which cars are the donors to look for.
    I'm under the impression that the Celica trans might be a straight bolt on, and that the trans from the Supra might work with the correct bellhousing, but am terribly short on particulars.

I have lots of time to look for parts as this project is going to be a long one, but I need to know what to look for. Any suggestions?

Ian Sights

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: What manual transmissions will mate to a 4Y-E engine?

The manual van box behind the 4YE is a w5x variant. You can convert the cable setup to a gear stick if you have the right parts from a w5x box such as a w55, w57 or w58.

The bellhousing off the 4YE manual van box is the one you need to run a w55/57/58 as the gearbox bolt pattern to the bellhousing is the same. You can also use a 3Y manual bellhousing as they are the same.

Forget about a 70's celica box (T50) as it will not fit to any bellhousing that I know of.
    You'll find the w55/57/58 in Japan made coronas, supras and 80's celicas. There is a difference where the shifter is located on the box but you can swap parts to get the right length if you can find them.

Good luck
    Last edited by stidnam; 16-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Check out YN** Hiluxs and YH** Hiaces.

My folks YH71 had a G54 (side shifter linkages and box looks identical to a W55/W58) behind its 3Y. That box also bolts to a 4YE.

Also it may be easier to get a W55/W58 (from one of the models listed in the pictutre above) and bolt it to a bellhousing from got from a Y motored vehicle.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info in these replies. It's an excellent start for me. Unfortunately the Hilux and Hiace don't make it to our shores in the USA. But I'll keep an eye out now that I have an idea what might work. Looks like the most hard to find item is the bell housing. And there are all the clutch parts as well.

Ian