Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting more power out of a 2T-C

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Default Re: getting more power out of a 2T-C

have you already got the 2t, have you thought about an 18rg? is there a capacity limit

18rg engine number star with 18r and you can bore/stroke it to 2.4L

hig comp pistons, cams, 22re rods, mod'd zx12r quad throttle would see some good power

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

well... ill start from the beginning (get some popcorn, a rather good story )

i was getting bored wiht my day to day car situation, the supra isnt interesting enough to modify, and i cant race it, cause if i break it, im fucked for a daily.

so ive retired the supra from race/power/skid duties, and im using it as a runabout (2.5 litre twin turbo runabout FTW, its better on fuel than my mums 2006 1MZ camry!!!)

this was fine for a while, but i started getting bored, and skids etc. started happening again

so a plan was struck up, to buy an old car, do it up, and fuck around with it on weekend, doing budget mods until it was a good enough state to race in rallies/motorkhanas/etc.

so i bought one, off triptek on these forums (mark and phil) and with the help of a mate (Ezra- Byteme) we bought the car and had it transported to his house ready to get stripped down and rebuilt into something light and moderately powerful.

in the mean time, i bought an 18RG that i was gonna use for that purpose, meanwhile, parents went balistic at my growing stack of parts + the motor, and i was ordered to fuck everything off, which i did, (still have too much shit laying around though!!) and the car we too

it went to a mate of a mate, who had another one, that was gonna make a decent car using my shell, and parts from his other one.

so i sold the shell to him, with plans of helping him build it up, then buying it off him when he got bored (hes 21 and had more cars than he can remember)

so while this was happening, he brought the car into his workshop and had a massive fight with his business partner.

as a result, the guy took one of the celicas (my old one) and my mate lost interest and offered me the other one, which i took up. (its a 5 speed LT with the "better" badges, painted matte black with gold glitter through it)

now, this is where it gets complicated, both the celicas are still rego'd, however my old one is running out soon, and, as its still registered under my name, i have to hand the plates in!!!

so im gonna give the guy a call soon and try get my car back..

so as it stands, i have the black 2T manual runner in my possession, if i can get the other one, ill strip it, scrap it and hand the plates in (it has good interior, uncut dash, good bumpers, good diff etc.)

in the meantime, while i paid for the car, a mate of mine has jumped on the bandwagon, and is pitching in his spares from his AE86/KE70 projected (T series cusco 2 way, surge tank, fuel pumps, blah blah) but he wants top go for an SR20DE+T as we have all the turbo gear needed, but i think nissan are gay so i dont wanna do it

so yeah, hell long post, sorry about the essay

i dont want to go 2Tg or 18Rg as they're old, and rare, so parts and the motors themselves are very expensive (for what they are)

we have, as it stands: the 2T, a 4A (16v bigport), an SR20DE (need gearbox) a CA18DE (needs box and new headgasket) and a CA18DET...

not to mention a butt-load of nissan spare parts!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic byteme's Avatar

1.5jz it ! i know of one stting in someones shed
    Hamgatan says:
    i pwn my momma

wicked handling spec

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic byteme's Avatar

hahah what ? drag car yo
    Hamgatan says:
    i pwn my momma

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    boat anchor jokes aside, lets say, for the purpose of this thread, that i need to retain a factory motor in my TA22 to be able to qualify for racing in a certain class, and 2TG's are ommited as well (thank fuck, they're horribly overpriced).
    OK, so what are your limitations, other than finances and not wanting a nissan motor?? Cause you can occasionally pick up a 2TGEU for a reasonable price... whack on a CT20b and your laughing. Or... get a 3T-GTEU and be done with it.

All that aside, injection wont yield that much more power over twin carbs, but it will give you much more predictability and tuneability, as well as being able to save a motor if conditions are poor (you can run it further to the edge safely)

How are the intake port spacings compared with a 22RE?? Cause you might be able to use a 22RE manifold and injectors, get somebody to weld it all onto the 2T-C manifold flange, get a MegaSquirt, and your laughing... will cost more than $300 if you cant find a secondhand MS, but it will have aforementioned longevity benefits, and torque curve benefits. XF foulcan 70mm throttlebody would be beneficial in that setup too.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    wicked handling spec

mid mount FTW imagine the skids

someone say 2t-ze? Automotive Encyclopaedia gerald1's Avatar

go the 2t. ya know you want to. nissan is gay. 4A's are gay unless tis a 20valve.

go 2t dude. please, do it. still....a mildley worked 4a will make the same power or more at half the cost (if you got all the efi stuff already.

i dunno, what ever.

nice read.

go 2t

gerald
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

If you have all the injection and turbo shit... turbo the 4A
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

someone say 2t-ze? Automotive Encyclopaedia gerald1's Avatar

o man. why would he go 3t-gte if hes got a ca18det already (even if it is gay nissan crap). 3tgte's never end up being a simple conversion it seems, shit always goes wrong with them - makes sense they are getting on in years.
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

at the risk of being neg rep the fuck out

EDIT: gerald1 beat me to it

if it is purely a race car u know the cheapest and most easiest option is goin to teh gay sr20 with 40,000 spare parts available on ebay on any given day and you already have the parts

then you wont feel so bad about strapping the shit outa it either

OR

sell all motors you have buy a jza half cut and beat the shit outa the trans tunnel which is what im planning on doing when my 1g shits itself

Gerald... only one reason, and its cause nissan is teh gheyness!!!

Or get a 3S-GTE... they arent such a pain in the arse when you dont need to worry about roadworthyness, just cut the firewall uleh!!
    Cheers, Owen

we've got a 3S, but we took one look at the work involved and said fuck that.

ill let linden jump in if he wants to, as he seems to know a fair bit about the RWD 3S's.

yeah, the SR20 would be a "smart" choice, but i dont think it'd be a "good" one...

as i said, a mates got all these spare parts ready to go (hes putting a ca into his ke70) and we have a mutual friend that fucks around with silvias that has bucketloads of spare parts, as well as another mate that owns an RB26 skyline, and hes fucked around with silvias before the 'line.

the car will be completely stripped of headliner, carpet, and then everythign from the front seats back.

ill retain the sun visors, dash, door cars etc. for "legality" and saftey purposes.

we wont cut any metal out to save weight, but will cut a few bits in order to fit a nice cage (rear hoop at first, then we'll figure the front section out) etc.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

just line up th emotors randomly..

fit first motor and drive till it blows up.

then fit next motor and drive it till it blows up..

etc
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

As I said, for a non street vehicle, 3S isnt that bad to convert to RWD... just cut and shut firewall.

But failing that, bomb the 2T... you will be happy with it once it has compression, cam and carby
    Cheers, Owen