Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avatars

Magical Mushroom Grease Monkey Willy's Avatar

Default Re: avatars

About 2 days ago I was browsing the forum and rather than peoples avatars being displayed, they came up as link saying for example "Joshtix's Avatar" then I had to click on it and it would take me to another page to view it, it seems to have fixed itself now but I thought it should be brought to your attention...
    Relax, i'm with goatse...

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

Arrow Re: avatars

it was giving me the shits when i couldnt get my avatar up.
    also when i couldnt post in the parts wanted section..

but i had a browse around and it all kinda makes sense..

i think this new set up of the forums and the site will keep alot of tym wasters out of here..

reguards

DQIKST
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

Nice ****** Grease Monkey rvrolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    no, its not kinda weird, it's how the forums have been configured.
    If you read the FAQ (just to the right of User CP) it should list a whole bunch of the specific configurations we have used for these new forums.

A few to note are:

# The use of the reputation system
    # Post count only increments in Tech & conversions and General Car Talk
    # Non-financial member new signups cannot post new threads in the classifieds, have an avatar nor see what reputation they have been given
    # Moderated signup proceedure

there are others, but these are the most commonly queried.
    Ok, I agree with hat you are saying here, but I think that people who have donated money for the new server/website should also be able to have these privialages. I am not a member as I do not get out to any Cruises, Dyno Days etc anymore. I used to be a full member (member # 80 I think it was) but am too busy with other things and have not attended an activity for a long time, hence not renewing membership.

However, I frequent these forums for the knowledge and generally nice e-community and donated money to support these forums so I can continue to enjoy spending quality work time on them.

*EDIT*
    Link to thread to show my contribution:
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

rvrolla,

what we dont want is a situation where people are basically buying posting rights and avatars - if we were to give avatars to people who donate, then that's no doubt the situation we'd end up in.

Forum donations are donations, and shouldnt be a way of purchasing an avatar
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Look, I can understand where you are coming from, but here is where I'm coming from.

We are asked to help fund the new server etc, so we donate our money, but when the new website comes we get half the privilages.
    People who are members, some of who haven't donate for the new server are getting the full privilage and people who donate and are members are no better off.

what we dont want is a situation where people are basically buying posting rights and avatars
    But are happy for people who do not attend Toymods outtings, be it because they are across the other side of the country or because they simply don't have any interest in attending them to pay full price for membership just to use the forums.

I did make my donation a while ago I understand that, but for people like myself, I now wish I didn't make the donation to help fund a new server where we wont get the full forum privilages and stay on the old forums.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

rvrolla it appears you do not understand what the word donation means Definition of donation. A donation is not a purchase, you do not donate blood to the blood bank then go back and ask to get better access to transfusions.

Your post seems to be suggesting that the restrictions on the new forum are aimed at forcing people to join the club. This is in no way shape or form the intention. We do not want people to join the club to get more access to the forum, in fact I personally think people who would want to pay money for more rights on an internet forum are sad and need to get out more.

What we do want though is for people who contribute to the forums to be rewarded. This is why once a person gains the required reputation they will then have access to having an avatar and more posting rights.

The other point is that the forums are provided by the members of the Toymods Car Club. Full access to the forums is just one of the benefits of being a member of the club. I know some people see this as prefferential treatment, and it is, but the fact is that the owner of anything tends to get more rights to it than guest who are using it.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Just a note guys I think the avatars have shat themselves again I can't see anyones.

rvrolla it appears you do not understand what the word donation means Definition of donation. A donation is not a purchase, you do not donate blood to the blood bank then go back and ask to get better access to transfusions.
    No need to be smart.
    in fact I personally think people who would want to pay money for more rights on an internet forum are sad and need to get out more.
    Now your just being childish and NOW I really wish I hadn't made a contribution towards this forum. This is coming from and Administrator of the forums, to a person that likes to spend quality work time on these forums.

I seriously dont care that much about the Avatar, it the fact that i have made a donation and get as much privilage as someone who doesn't give two hoots about the place.

Obviously you have all made a decision and thought this is the best scenario, I just thought i would throw in my two cents. I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way. But rest assured this is the last you will hear of the issue out of me.

Cheers.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I'm not trying to have a shot at you in particular, just pointing out that a donation is a donation not a purchase and that the club does not want to have people joining just to get more rights on the forums.

Not your average Grease Monkey nb86's Avatar

i like the idea, the old forum has got so out of hand with weirdo's and keyboard warriors it's a good intitiative to try to limit the behaviour.
    also if you recieve bad reps im guessing you can lose priveliges right?
    that would be good if someone pretends not to be and idiot until they have full rights...
    This is a really far out, witty and clever signature.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

correct.

if someone's reputation goes down they start losing privledges as they are moved back down into lower user groups.

In fact i think there's even the "Wookie" group set up... where if your reputation goes down to ZERO, you get the title "WOOKIE" and perhaps a big "i am a wookie" across your signature

hahahaha!! I cant wait for the first victim.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    correct.

if someone's reputation goes down they start losing privledges as they are moved back down into lower user groups.

In fact i think there's even the "Wookie" group set up... where if your reputation goes down to ZERO, you get the title "WOOKIE" and perhaps a big "i am a wookie" across your signature

hahahaha!! I cant wait for the first victim.

and in that sense, it makes EVERYONE a moderator

if someone makes a really stupid post... and 50 people decided to give them bad rep.... whoops, there they go into wookie land

in fact, i can't wait fopr the first wookie to join so we can see how quickly rep can go down
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gentle giant Backyard Mechanic h3ff44's Avatar

ha im liking the sounds of all this...
    if bubbles signs up he should just make his name wookie