Page 342 of 392 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352 ... LastLast
Results 5,116 to 5,130 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Hi guys,

I know it's a topic of interest (and was being recently talked about in the 18RGTE thread), but let's talk about lightweight flywheels.

I've been tossing up whether to fit one to my dead stock 18RGEU before it goes in, as far as i've read it'll be beneficial irrespective of how cranky it is.

I don't really want to go through Kameari or THA for their gear (which honestly looks just like fidanza gear...), my local clutch shop has been helpful but can't seem to source one.

Any advice or recommendations for suppliers would be appreciated.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Last edited by jabbatron; 27-08-2015 at 02:28 AM.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Why not Fidanza? The one I purchased looks pretty good quality, and has the advantage of a replaceable friction surface. The Kameari ones are completely different, as they are Chromoly, not Aluminium, and they are also very slightly lighter too.

Others have had success with the direct clutch units, so would say that's another viable option.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Last edited by jabbatron; 27-08-2015 at 02:28 AM.

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

I also need info on flywheels, my current one I dont trust due to it living under a tree in composting leaves for 20 years. Who feels its safe to use?
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i got mine from direct clutch services in QLD.
    http://www.directclutch.com.au/

had to be made there and cost around $500 to my door just had to put my old ring gear on.

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

I spoke with Direct Clutch today - extremely helpful bunch of guys. They knew what I was talking about straight away, still have the design on hand and you can spec your own target weight for the flywheel to suit your needs.

On top of that, the price is about pretty close to the mark. Quoted a touch under 500 before shipping if I supply (but they fit and balance) a ring gear, so after all is said and done (shipping, ring gear) it'll be cheaper than a Kameari unit but a little more expensive than a Toyhead auto unit. Not bad for an Australian made custom billet unit!
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Gentleman, finally the Sydney rain has eased.
    Back to my 18rgue, which is still cutting out.
    i gutted the cat converter as was blocked badly, this did not help.
    new plugs, dizzy changed, no vacuum leaks, wiring looks fine, coil and leads are good.
    Injectors firing, fuel pumps pumping, AFM seems good.
    The engine seems stronger than ever now. But still stalling.
    the only other thing i notice is when cold it runs longer, as it warms up it stalls sooner.
    I changed the temp sensor last time.....Sooo whats next.
    watch another vid to see the problem.

http://youtu.be/eaFrqVLqrRk
    Last edited by Omegaman; 03-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Did you check to see if it still fires the injectors and coil when the cut out occurs? (Did you monitor all those items at the time of the cut or while running?)

(I.e. whack an led/noid light on the injectors and a timing light on the spark plug and see what each does when the cut occurs, hopefully provides more insight as to where to look).

Cars can be a real headf*ck when sh1t just isnt going right, but you just need to be methodical and ruling out problems in stages.
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I've put the noid light and timing light on. Both are flashing till it dies. No signs of any sort to suggest a problem there.
    The pumps were working, the lift pump std filter was and is always full.
    I'm still thinking its a temp thing. At warm up stage it took a while for it to die, then shorter periods till death.
    I'm tempted to take out the ECU wiring harness and go through it from front to back. I don't know what else to do. ;(

edit...I've been watching the 6pm news and a light bulb went off in my head.
    I noticed that water in radiator was not flowing, and a little low, so im wandering if the thermostat is stuck closed. So no water flowing over the temp sensor.....????? Would that sound probable, that no signal from the sensor to the ECU?
    Last edited by Omegaman; 04-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.

If the injectors are clicking and spark is occurring that really only leaves fuel flow into the engine.
    Where does your fuel pressure gauge get it's reading from?

How is your FPR/fuel lines/Fuel pump hooked up?

Re: temp sensor, not likely mate. Easy to test though, disconnect the temp sensor, as the ecu will use a default value for it if it's not there and see how it runs.

Damn.... yeh injectors are firing and pumps pumping ok.
    As far as pumps, nothing to complicated. Filter, lift pump, surge tank, high pressure pump, high pressure filter to fuel rail then FPR back to surge tank then to main tank. Wiring seems ok, triggers from AFM, works fine.

Have you run it without the AFM triggering the fuel pumps? (i.e. just run the pumps constant to test?).

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

I've seen a few people hook up a fpr wrong, just check that its right. I hooked mine backwards one day. Car wasn't happy.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm