Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocate the dizzy on 3s-ge

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default relocate the dizzy on 3s-ge

Hei

since im looking into putting a 3sge into a rwd car, i wonder what the options is to move, or get ridd of the dizzy.

i heard something about cranck angle sensor, can anyone exlain what this involves and what it costs?

i would like to stay with the stock ecu, is that possible at all?

if someone can tell me the options about relocating the dizzy, what work is involved, price and where to buy thoose things, (best if its a webshop i can look on the parts myself)

Thanks in advance for all the info u can give me.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: relocate the dizzy on 3s-ge

if you want the stock ECU you need the stock dizzi.

I've got some pics somewhere of a 3SGE with the dizzi mounted onto the front of the engine (using simple dog tooth gear to connecto the two and a big alloy plate to mount the dizzi.

lemme look and i'll update the pic.

If you went crank-angle sensor, aftermarket ECU and waste-spark ignition then a simple 32-1 wheel on the crank would be the go.

edit: clicky to find post in the RA40 dedicated thread.

relevant pic:

TerryO (member on this forum) did the mechanical work i think.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Im in the same conudrum, but i can jsut hack the firewall if need be.
    I dont like the look of the front mount dizzy, are engineers happy with it? and does anyone know any problems with them?

Also, a budgo guide on google says a "90 degree adapter" for the dizzy? to make it sit "up" ways but in the stock position.

Is this for a RX12? Cause that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic lojik's Avatar

One would imagine that if you are concerned about engineering then you would be far better off moving the distributor to the front of the engine then you would be chopping up the firewall?

No mean to hijack the thread, but in my case, ive done it in a track car, either going to cut firewall or find a cheap alternative. But i think its such a good combo ive made i want a street car as well, so looking for legal alternatives.
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Thanks for ur answers.

That front setup would be excellent for me, is this a kit thats aviable to buy, or is this something homemade? i would like some more info about this setup if its possible.

a 90 degree adapter? hmm i guess that could be helpfull too, have anyone tried this and anyone know where to buy it?

crank-angle sensor, aftermarket ECU and waste-spark ignition then a simple 32-1 wheel? how much would a total of theese things come to in $? and is it a difficult setup, lots of wirering etc? is it possible to program/tune an aftermarked ecu without a dyno? i have absolutely no chance to get a dynorun, does that mean i can forget about get an aftermarked ecu properly tuned?

and where can i buy theese things, i been searching the web but i can find any stores that have any of the dizzy solutions for the 3s-ge.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkIIRx12

crank-angle sensor, aftermarket ECU and waste-spark ignition then a simple 32-1 wheel? how much would a total of these things come to in $?
    A lot.

The actual wheel and sensor and very cheap (in the US), its the computer that will be big bucks, $2k? maybe?

From my research, the front mount dizzy is the cheapest, but i havnt found anyone doing the 90 degree adaption,but i think it would be cheaper, but a little more complicated than adding a simple uni joint

As for the kits, google search "crank trigger", they are usually a fabricated alloy wheel and utilised common sensor (say from a ford).
    Here is a start:
    http://www.msdignition.com/mag_1.htm
    http://www.directignition.com/triggerkits.html
    http://www.autronic.com/technical_da...s/crankmag.pdf

And add 3S to the search, you will find a lot of kits made for them. Alternatively add MR2 ( as thats the most common 3S car to have engine work).

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I made the front dissy pictured (and the special manifold, and rebuilt the engine , rewired it etc etc). see www.roadandtrack.net.au. not simple, not cheap, but works perfectly

Thanks for ur answers

Ok i think crank trigger setup will be too expensive for me, im looking for a cheaper option since the engine is stock anyway, i would be fine using the stock dizzy too if possible.

TerryO, do you have any info on how ur front setup is? what involves in making the dizzy work like that? wanna make any more to sell`?

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

I have some pics of a front mount dizzy setup.....very easy to make.
    Will upload when I get home.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

These pics were in the for sale section so I have shamelessly stolen them. The item sold so I'm hoping 20valve69corona doesn't mind me posting them up.
    It pretty much shows you how to do it.

The important thing is to make sure you put the little drive plate on the correct cam so the dizzy rotates in the correct direction. Might cost you a few hundred in machining but way tidier than hacking a hole in your firewall and having to seal that off.

thanks for the pics, that doesnt look too bad.

im getting a 3sfe for free, and was thinking about machining and using this engines as a modell fit.

does anyone know if theese engines are so simular that i can put all the custom made parts over on the 3sge later? im thinking about the intake, wateroutlet on the back of the engine and the dizzy setup.

oilpan would also been good if i good make it from the 3sfe, but i been told this wont fit the 3sge, is this correct?

Thanks again for all ur help.

Hey, i did that! I got a 3S-FE for $10 australian, (ie free), but its a waste of time (unless u really cant wait for engine work shop stuff).

The 3S-FE cams and grears are COMPLETELY different.

Maybe get a gen 1 and use that as the dummy motor, they are as cheap as FE's.

p.s. thanks for pics GT, dont look to hard to make at all.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I'm happy to make these adapators and modify the dissy to suit. I really dont want to do 1-off's as they become too dear to sell . is there enough interest for a few??? Some-one who wants one can start a group buy. Just a few is all we need to make it "sensible"
    I doubt there will be any interest in 3SFE.

How much would they cost? I was just thinking of making my one, doesnt look like there is anything to it.