Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil cooler and remote filter kit, how to???

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Default oil cooler and remote filter kit, how to???

i am about to order some stuff for my cressy from the USA

i am gonna get a filter relocation kit and then buy a oil cooler seperately, can i just hook up the relocation kit and instead of sending the oil line straight back into the motor, can i send it thru a cooler too.

i know it'll take a moment longer to get full oil pressure when cold starting, bt is there anything else i need to think about

what do the thermostats do
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

Default Re: oil cooler and remote filter kit, how to???

I bought the GReddy kit from the USA - good bit of gear..
    yes, you can send it via a cooler or straight back to the engine.

There is a factory cooler on the 2JZ that seems to work pretty well, so I am not bothering with an external cooler - unless I see some extreme temps, it's just one more point for it to leak from

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

have you checked out earls???

in what way u mean sillycars
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DOHC
    i am about to order some stuff for my cressy from the USA
    You don't say what you are ordering or how much it is costing you (plus shipping) but there are local alternatives. In Sydney out at Seven Hills is Motorsport Connections. They can supply all that gear. I bought braided hose, connectors, and remote oil filter adapter from them. I alreayd had an oil cooler off a GTS-T with the correct fittings known as DASH fittings. Total cost about $450 and they even helped me by cutting the braided hose which is a bugger of a job to do right - you have to have a very sharp hacksaw and tape up the hose where you are cutting it. Motorsport Connections use a electric cut-off saw so it gives a perfect cut. Having a remote allows you to fit a bigger oil filter too, like a V01, about 2 or 3 x the size of the smaller passenger jobbies.

Look in Motorsport News or Auto Action - companies advertise there for these things.

i am gonna get a filter relocation kit and then buy a oil cooler seperately, can i just hook up the relocation kit and instead of sending the oil line straight back into the motor, can i send it thru a cooler too.
    I put the adapter block on the engine - that runs the oil through the lines, out to the remote filter mounted in front of the driver's wheel well, then to the cooler mounted in front of the radiator and then it goes back to the engine. It gives you about another litre/litre and a half of oil capacity which is good for hard driving.

i know it'll take a moment longer to get full oil pressure when cold starting, bt is there anything else i need to think about
    It's almost instantaneous so don't worry about that - the oil stays in the lines and cooler anyway.

what do the thermostats do
    For oil?

cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 20-02-2007 at 07:44 AM.
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

earls in sydney offer quality parts, as do road and track in Qld. www.roadandtrack.net.au. some of the 'cheap" US parts sold over the net, are just chinese junk. i have recently told 2 people bringing this stuff to me to take it away, and I sold them somehting that actually worked. make sure the adapator block going onto the engine is not a thin cast alloy part. you need at least dash 8 , and preferably dash 10 sized fittings, if you want to relocate the filter and have a cooler. dont buy a system for a raod car unless it has a thermostat. you will just overcool the oil and cost you power as it stays too thick.

I should have said this system of mine is in my race car, not a passenger car, so yes overcooling your oil is not a good thing so make sure you get a thermostat.

Peter

Show Us Your Tints Carport Converter Soarer_D00D's Avatar

Hey mate, i got an oil filter relocation kit from just jap for like $259 or something. Its a great kit, only problem with mine was i had to buy a 130 degree speedflow fitting that went onto the sandwich plate on the block where the oil filter was, so that the feed line pointed forwards, rather then towards the firewall, because the braided line supplied didnt like to bend that much. The kit comes with the sandwich plate, the oil filter relocator, all lines and fittings, and a 7 row oil cooler.

Check out my Members Ride thread (See sig) and check it out. Its on a 1JZGTE. If you have any other questions about it, let me know, because i just finished puitting one into the Soarer, and it worked out a treat.

Cheers
    Shazza
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    yeah jump start a planet sort of torque

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

heres what i picked up from just jap.... will fit the 7M too,

i got the complete kit, filter relocater, and the oil cooler, 19row,

was round the $400 mark.....which is almost cheaper than buying the hose's separately......

cts the cheapest i could find...as everything else was WAY OVER $600

you can see the oil filter over in the top right of the pic.. not an ideal location but,

Those damn Speedflow fittings cost a fortune. 90 deg are about $25 each and i needed four

Peter

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

but an fittings look nice

Show Us Your Tints Carport Converter Soarer_D00D's Avatar

I ended up paying lkike $40 for a 130degree fitting, $120 for a new braided line and sme other ridiculous prices for some other fittings. They really know how to screw you.
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    yeah jump start a planet sort of torque

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

mine was AU$300 (which included postage from the states and $40 or $50 for my mate for organising it all..

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

My new oil system uses Earls billett adaptor plate and remote filter plate and cooler, 9 feet of braided line and speed flow fittings. The oil runs from the adaptor plate to the filter then through the oil cooler and back to the adaptor plate. Check out my cars thread here to see some pics http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16089
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

i will make myself clear sorry

i am getting a Derale Tube and Fin Engine Oil Cooler, Tube and Fin, Aluminum/ Copper, Black, 7 1/ 2 in. x 17 in. x 3/ 4 in., for $30USD
    and am getting a Summit relocation kit for $35 USD, am also getting 2 autometer C2 guages with mounting cups, 2 fram XG oil filters, 12 BP7ES plugs and a big ass 6.5 x 14" FluidDyne trans cooler delivered for just over $500

so spending $250 just on an inferior brand relocation kit and then another 120 for a cooler, it makes sense to do it this way.

how does the thermostat work, does it restrict the oil flow, isnt this bad

The boobs are back