Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Quirks of Mikuni/Solex's and Webers

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

Default Re: Quirks of Mikuni/Solex's and Webers

Quote Originally Posted by joey
    I'm not looking to put big lumpy cams in the 20v if i go down that path,
    you're gonna carby a 20v??? i can understand why with a 16v, but a 20v no way

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Domestic Engineer joey's Avatar

Got a question for you guys.
    Taking off in my celica, i cant seem to get a good launch without babying the clutch and letting it out slowly whilst holding up the revs. If i dont do this it just piss farts, stutters ect and eventually starts picking up normally around 3.5K.
    Is this because it is running lean in that early rpm range as shown on the dyno chart?
    Or is it normal to run a bit lean in the low range rpm and even out as it progresses?
    Its a 2tg running twin 45m webers if you dont know.

Chart:

(the really rich dip in the middle has been sorted already)

Thanks,
    Joe
    Mr Shabadoo.
    Joeys 1975 TA22 - the weird lookin' front one....
    Daily JZX100

New additions: RA23 Circuit racer. 180sx drift box. R32 GTR Daily. MS65 Crown cruiser.

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Joey,

Hesitation such as this is usually caused by the pump jets. What are the sizes for all you jets including the pumps?

Even your engine should run ok down low. Addmitedly it maybe sluggish to accelerate until the revs rise and will not respond to rapid throttle opening from low down but it should not hesitate one bit.

Could be a too large Pump jet causing a short over rich fuel shot. The duration should be several seconds and for me I have #40 pump jets in the 44s producing the 85rwkW.

I would allso say it is running too rich through the mid to top on full throttle.

Once you are crusing in 4th at 100k how does it run?

For a good comparison to a pair of 40mm Webers and even to my dyno sheet with 40mm Solex, see the xT series results and check Akaoni's sheet. Akaoni's shows a very even mixture and the 98kW speaks for itself.

Regards

Rodger

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Every pair of the 18RGU style solex carbies that I've come across has not had the pump jets adjusted to actually work. We've had to put washers under the springs to get them to work.
    The deadness upon accelleration was solved when we put the washers in. Just make sure that too many washers aren't put in and the spring bottoms out.
    It's only the type T solexes where we've found that problem.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Domestic Engineer joey's Avatar

Sizes of all my jets atm are:
    40 pump jets
    140 main jet
    F16 emulsion tube
    190 air corrector
    45F6 idle jet
    36mm chokes
    unsure of venturis

Cruising in 4th at 100clicks im around 4 - 4.5k rpm, pulls quite nicely from there aslong as there is no incline (suspected lightened flywheel or bad jet size? causing poor incline momentum). Also is there any way that i can check the pump jet mechanism is working on my webers without taking the carbys off the manifold and unscrewing the inspection plate?
    Might get another dyno reading mid next week, just to double check the rich drop in the middle is at the right level now. So if anyone reckons my jetting is out, let me know and ill swap it over to see if it makes a difference. Cheers, Joe
    Last edited by joey; 23-11-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Mr Shabadoo.
    Joeys 1975 TA22 - the weird lookin' front one....
    Daily JZX100

New additions: RA23 Circuit racer. 180sx drift box. R32 GTR Daily. MS65 Crown cruiser.

Forum Member Grease Monkey smokem1's Avatar

gday im trying to tune my solex S5 40phh solexes on a worked 18RGU, short manifold, 25mm tall ramtubes and filter socks, current jet sizing is:

#140 mains
    #140 main airs
    #57.5 pilots

Problem is its running to rich, and loses power once throttle is bout 20%, with 60 pilots its even worse, any suggestions in what combination of jets to try next? smaller pilots? larger main airs?

this piece of sh!t hilux has been 3 years in the build this carby problem is only thing stopping me from driving it atm, oh and it has no brakes, which should be sorted by weeks end lol

any advice appreciated
    Last edited by smokem1; 04-11-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: update info

Forum Member Grease Monkey smokem1's Avatar

anybody?? any advice apreciated, dont hold it against me that i own a hilux

Cant get no replys thats cool im just goin to buy a variety of jet sizes and see if we can get this puppy running sweet thanks anyway
    Last edited by smokem1; 09-11-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: saw the light