Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front drive shaft removal - st165

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default front drive shaft removal - st165

Hey Guys,

Im trying to remove my front left drive shaft from my st165, as i need to replace the (excuse my lack of proper terminology) but the either the balljoint/Cv joint. the basturds at pedders who changed my wheel bearing did the bold up too tight, and whilst driving it has snapped the screw/shaft/whatever you call it right off!

What is the best way to do this! is it easiest to pull out the whole drive shaft? does anyone have a writeup on how to get the shaft out?

Thanks,

1st car - 1988 Corolla ae82 4ac
    2nd car - 1988 Corolla 4age 100kw
    3rd car - 1989 Celica st165 GT4
    (and toyospares has been the second home for all of them! hehe)

1st bike - 2002 Kawasaki GPX250

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Re: front drive shaft removal - st165

This exact thing happened to my AE92, but i am sure the bolt wasnt to tight, perhaps to loose...

Anyway, get a whole shaft as its best to do both inner and outer CVs. You can get just the outer and pull em apart and replace it, but unless you know what your doing its prolly not best, plus thats alot messier...

First you gotta drop the box oil. Undo the hub bolts that hold the hub to the strut (two fat ones behind, usualy 19's.
    This should give you enough room to slide the cv end out of the hub. If not you might have to undo the steering arm..

CAUTION dont twist the steering arm once youve undone it. be very careful and very sure that it stays the exact same direction that when it came out...

Then you gotta get yourself some leverage from the gearbox end of the CV and pop it out... They are sometimes pretty easy, and sometimes really fuck off hard...
    at the gearbox it will go boot than big metal bit which is the actual joint, than the yoke goes through into the box, you should be able to get a big flat screwy or a crowbar into the space between the box and the joint bit and lever it out...

Once on a magna, i couldnt get it out for the sake of me.
    So i pulled the outer CV off, took the old boot off, greased the shit outa the new one, slid it on, and replaced the Boot and Cables ties...
    It was messy and the Inner CV went like 3months later.

Cheers,
    Jase

Oh yeh, good luck
    Last edited by Smokey228; 20-11-2007 at 11:05 AM.
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

HOLY SHIT!!! How the fuck did that snap off!!?????

You need to replace the outer spline on your CV drive shaft.

OK... well start by undoing the hub upright (the part that the CV shaft goes into in the pics above) from the strut. There should be two large 19mm bolts at the lower end of the strut, these are the two you need to undo to separate the hub from the strut.

Once you have undone these, the hub will nicely fall away from the strut, and you can pull it away from the strut so that the CV shaft outer spline (the broken bit in your pics) starts sliding out of the hub.
    Now you should have the outer end of the CV shaft loose and flopping around, unattached to anything else.

Now to the annoying part... that looks like the front passenger side shaft, which has a little circlip on the inner spline that kinda "clicks" it into the gearbox.

NOTE: DRAIN YOUR GEARBOX OIL BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE SHAFT FROM THE GEARBOX!!! Undo the gearbox filler bolt first (will need a 24mm socket), and then undo the drain bolt. This ensures you dont drain the gearbox and then find that you are unable to undo the filler bolt.

To remove the drive shaft, what i usually do is get under the car and use a big long screwdriver, or pry bar, or something long and hard with a pointy end.... which i use to "tap" out the cv joint using a hammer on the pry bar.
    You'll notice the inner CV has a large metal housing, with some ridges on it. Put one end of the prybar/bashing object on the inner CV joint's ridges, and use a hammer to tap it out. I usually rotate the CV every couple of taps to avoid munting anything.

It will eventually just "pop" out. Just dont bash the rubber boot.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Guys thats brilliant,

Thanks so much for the detailed posts.
    I'll give that a shot tonite.

although i must admit i havent changed my gearbox oil before either, hopefully that will be straight forward enough!!

Cheers, and thanks again!!
    Jarrod

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

The hub looks broken to me

Undo it where the balljoint bolts to the lower control arm, push down on the LCA and pull the balljoint away from the LCA.. doing it this way instead of taking the strut off the hub means you'll save your camber adjustment

Witzl, it's a gt4.. they both have a circlip on them that said gt4 CV's are piss easy to pop out of the box

Also considering it's a GT4 you might want to drop the transfer case oil as well
    I am the sun

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

BGB has a step by step guide for taking the drive shaft out, I followed it on my 165 and had no major dramas!

Make sure you use the little holder thingys to keep the joints together when you pull them out.

From memory there was no need to drop the GB oil, but I only did the drivers side (furthest from the box).
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

DALE there is no broken hub! dontfreak me out!!! lol

Squid, what/who is BGB????

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

The Big Green Book is the toyota service manual - it contains all sorts of useful info for pulling your car apart, and even better info for putting it back together

it can be found online at:
    http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchi...online/bgb.php
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The splines don't look like they're locking into anything at the front of the hub though....

Also was there a washer on there?
    I am the sun

carsanacta,

Another thing to look out for are your wheel bearings... I just remember now, that although i couldnt find a definitive reason as to why mine snapped off...

Coincidently, i found that my wheel bearings where absolutely shot beyong repair. So either the broken hub nut killed the bearings, or the bearings played a part in the wheel nut snapping off...

I ended up replacing the whole hub, and than the bearings aswel, as the old hub had worn away, and the 'press' fit bearings and cups and holders and retainers all fell out..

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

well the wheel bearing was replaced not so long ago. So im thinking it should be ok, and this snapping was more than likely provoked due to something they did when they changed the wheel bearing on this side.

It broke whilst driving over train tracks

ok so i've taken off the hub etc, but haven't started to undo the 6 bolts on the gearbox side of the shaft. i'm wondering am i able to remove the boot from the outer CV joint and replace the outer CV joint alone?

these drive shafts were reconditioned by toyospares about 2 years ago, so the inner CV should be fine, and i don't really want to have to replace the whole shaft.

don't undo those bolts, just pop it off the box... those joints are extremely hard to get back together if they come apart

Yes you can just replace the outer CV joint, first cut the boot off, or just slide it back away from the CV and clean away excess grease. Next place the outer CV in a vice and give the shaft a few good pulls, use it like a slide hammer and sometimes they'll come off... if this fails you'll need to get a big hammer, and a lot of patience
    I am the sun

I dont know what bolts your are looking at, but no bolts should come off. Maybe if there are plastic sheilds to keep dust and dirt away. But nothing major!

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

smokey - GT4 driveshafts are different to most others, they're flanged to come apart at the gearbox

anyway, new outer CV joint to suit st185 which I highly suspect would work in an st165.. fiddy dollah
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CV-JOINT-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I am the sun