Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using AE86 Tachometer & Aftermarket ECU 12v output?

teq Grease Monkey

Default Using AE86 Tachometer & Aftermarket ECU 12v output?

Ok, I'm trying to wrap my mind around this and come up with what I consider an 'elegant' solution. What I want to do is modify the AE86 tachometer to accept the 12v+ signal from an aftermarket ECU. WITHOUT having to build/buy a signal booster.

Is this possible? Did the searching I've been doing for the last couple of hours been in vain (IE: give me a link!)?

Something similar to these ideas, is what I'm looking for:
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho....php?p=1165293
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~awcabren/ae86gzetacho.pdf

If not, I suppose the other option is to do tap a signal from each coil (-) and isolate with a diode and run it to the tach. Similar to what has been done on some GZE setups. As I'll be running individual coils.

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 08-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Aftermarket ECU 12v tach output & AE86 Tachometer

Maybe the ecu is doing a positive only trigger, and if the tacho used to be points then it's looking for a 12V- Ground pulse. I'd try a "pull down" resister- wiring the 12V tach output through a 560ohm resister and to ground. Wiring the tacho to the 12V side the tacho will now get a 12V - ground pulse, simple but it works in some instances.

teq Grease Monkey

From what I've read up on so far the tach looks for a (+) voltage spike from the coil (-) wire/ignitor.

EDIT: I may be wrong of course... anyone feel free to correct me and show me how/why/where and what to do.

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 07-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.

teq Grease Monkey

Default Re: Using AE86 Tachometer & Aftermarket ECU 12v output?

Still trying to get a handle on this. Looking at the following places:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...f2658&start=20
    http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_...considered.htm

Looks like changing the 'R4' resistor might do the job? Anyone else able to confirm this?

I'm also guessing the 1k resistor listed in the pic above for 'aftermarket ecu' would be used as a pullup if the aftermarket ecu had a 5v output?

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 09-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by assassin10000 View Post
    From what I've read up on so far the tach looks for a (+) voltage spike from
    the coil (-) wire/ignitor.
    I think you are going to have to do the emulator with the relay coil, or the diodes plus
    zenner circuit. The tach does indeed look for a voltage spike. Two diodes seems to be
    enough for two x 2-post coils; you will probably need four diodes for four x 1-post coils.
    This assumes that the coils are fired sequentially. If they are batch fired, then one diode
    should be enough.

Cheers... jondee86

teq Grease Monkey

Yeah, that I'm aware of... if that's what I end up having to do. Although in the 'old' forums there was something said about that type of 'circuit' overheating and damaging the components so at one point it will stop working. Dunno how true this is or not.

Andrew

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Did you try a pull down circuit? I've used them and pull-ups many times on aftermarket ecu installs to drive factory points tacho's... Factory points tacho's want a 12V/ ground pulse, but your not giving it the ground part of the equation for the tacho to trigger. 10c part and it may spring to life, worth a shot IMO

teq Grease Monkey

I'm currently wiring my motor up... since it's not running yet I can't experiment with different circuits to make it work. I was hoping someone else had... or at least would have enough knowledge/info saved somewhere to clarify it. I'm hoping to avoid having to wire in an adapter (even though I already have one).

Again, from what I understand at the moment... it's a 12v squarewave and should ground. In any case, I can give the pulldown resistor a try if other things don't work out. But my understanding of the circuit gathered from 3 days of searching, is that the tach is triggered by the positive voltage seen from the back EMF spike when the coil fires. Which would be higher than the Tach Output of my ECU, but by how much I don't currently know.

Anyone have a oscilloscope and a running 4age (I have neither... ) ? Or maybe know/saved the info of the output of the stock tach output of the ignitor?

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 09-11-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'm 90% sure the AE86 tach will work from your aftermarket ECU drive if you just follow the PDF linked above that I compiled.

I've done similar with MX73 and GX71 tach's which were able to be driven from an aftermarket ECU after the change.

teq Grease Monkey

Hmmm, interesting. Any idea what the GZE ignitor tach output is?

5v or 12v tach output on the MX/GX Aftermarket ECU's?

Andrew

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

the GZE ignitor outputs a low level signal. Wilbo did a similar mod to his NA JZA80 tach to accept the signal from his adaptronic. The MX73 and GX71 were running adaptronic also.

teq Grease Monkey

Interesting (and good to know). Nice to know that works with the adaptronic, which I think (although not sure) has a 12v squarewave tach output too.

In the mean time, I've pulled apart a spare tach to look at the circuit. Trying to dredge up what little electronics knowledge I had (and mostly forgotten) to figure this out. What I'm currently thinking will work appears similar in idea to what Wilbo did. As I 'like' what Wilbo did better since it only takes one jumper/resistor change, instead of two & a cap (less is more... and all that BS).

The PDF you compiled shows a 24k resistor on the 'pulse/tach' input, vs the original 30k. The Club4ag recommendation for the GZE tach is 15k w/no other changes. It makes me wonder what the 2nd resistor & cap change do to the circuit and how the IC works... which is currently beyond my meager electrical knowledge.

Also, according to notes/posts/info I've come across changing r1/r2 will alter the calibration/sweep of the tach. And this post: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=68162 shows a guy that changed more/different things to get a working result including r1/r2. But further down that same post someone else says it's innaccurate pretty much confirming those two would change the calibration. So I pretty much discarded it as an idea.

Any electrical engineers around want to reverse engineer the tach controller? I can do an overlay pic of the circuit board and get all the components identified...

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 10-11-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Andrew, So you trying to connect a 12V square wave output from your after market ECU to your tachometer which is design for negative coil side signal? What after market ECU are you using? If you post some high res.images of the back side and front side of the PCB and ID the parts I can backwards engineer it.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable

You can only ever have two..

teq Grease Monkey

Yes. It's a Vi-Pec V44.

Andrew

teq Grease Monkey

Just for shits & giggles I took apart a couple more clusters. One is from a GT-S (4A-GE equipped), the other 2 SR5 (4A-C).

Found out that R1 comes in various resistance values, based on the 3 I have, pics of one in the GZE tach mod, and reported value's on the Club4ag site. So I'm guessing it's different to adjust the accuracy of each individual tach.

GT-S #1 - 750k
    GT-S #2 - 270k
    SR5 #1 - 150k
    SR5 #2 - 16k
    GZE mod - 91k
    Club4ag - 15k

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 22-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.