Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4ag into ma70 chassis

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Default Re: 4ag into ma70 chassis

Quote Originally Posted by mdcmotorsports
    Well we were looking at the 4ag simply because its very available here in the states. The 3s is hard to find. The 4ag is also the premier engine in the older toyota atlantic racing car series here in the states.

We got the idea from Top Secret of Japan when I went to Tokyo about 2 years ago. They put in a 3s turbo engine into a mk4 supra body. Their goal - 50/50 weight distribution with about 450hp. They achieved thier mark and really opened up some eyes.
    the formula atlantic engine is like $20K... it hardly even resembles a 4AGE anymore, finding one of those would be like finding tits on a bull as theyre the wet dream of every AE86 owner worldwide..

i think i see where youre going with the idea of weight distribution. that particular SA80 was on the High Octane 2000 DVD as well.. its a nimble car thats for sure but the 3S is no weak engine either..

you realise that throwing out the heavy arse cast iron 7M already takes a huge amount of weight out of the A70 though right? anything with an alloy block is going to still have a good weight balance. R154 is probably not the best choice of trannie for it either due to the fact its a truck gearbox practically and shifting on it isnt the smoothest (even though its bulletproof). I would go a W58 to be honest... theyre capable of 400hp without much drama, its only if youre going beyond that that you would need something stronger (but i hardly foresee a 4AGE going over 350hp)

Classique is right as well... get a 3SGTE from an Alltrac if you want turbo powah.. or get a 3SGE Beams from an Altezza ... only prob is finding a RWD box to suit.. not sure if the Altezza box would mate up or not...yes the BEAMS is a hard one to get but worth it in the end.

Figures speak for themselves..

stock 4AGE 100kw version - 130hp | 1.6L
    stock 3SGE BEAMS (gen4) - 210hp | 2L

personally i wouldn't go NA in this instance though.. not to pull a heavy arse 1600kg car.. unless its a 1UZ then that would be my choice for torque/power/balance
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

While I understand your intentions, I'm with them in saying a 1UZ would be a better option, even try a 1MZFE to be different? It goes without saying you don't need an R154, a W58 would be a much better proposition.

The MA70 weighs around 1575kg with a 7MGTE. The 7MGTE is well over the 200kg mark. The 1UZ is a smidge shorter and would be a good 50kg lighter. The 1MZ would be both shorter again and lighter.

Gutting it, you're still going to end up with something fairly heavy, given the overengineering that went into the chassis, probably somewhere above the 1250-1300kg mark even with stripping it.

While not trying to poopoo your idea, I'd recommend a lighter chassis or a bigger engine. And yes, the Mk3 weighs more than the Mk4 by a good 70kg.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    Holy crap! Youd need to sit in the boot just to reach the shifter!
    no you just make a remote shifter!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

or find a large hilux 4cyl engine and bolt a large turbo onto it?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

3rz-fe chuckster
    Really torquey engines

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    3rz-fe chuckster
    Really torquey engines
    I wouldn't imagine the 3rz would be a great racing engine by any stretch of the imagination. 10 sec quarter miles is one thing, 30 sec at WOT followed by 2 sec of closed throttle followed by 20 sec at WOT ad infinitum is another thing completely.

1mz-fe is a good idea.

Seriously though, what are you aiming to acheive with this thing?
    you know what I mean this electric stream
    and my tears in league with the
    wires and energy and my machine
    this is my beautiful dream

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

i'm in favour of the 3S-GE.. no matter how light you got the car, it's still a cube thing and aerodynanically it has more resistance to something smaller like a corolla.. well it's just my thoughts.. the 4A-GE is high revving and not much torque down below especially under race conditions where i assume u wan high revs. boosting the 4A-GE won't give u very much when compared to the 3S.. if i'm not mistaken the most powerful 4A is 240 kw or something.. but 3S-GEs could go for a whole lot more.. 500 hp? Top secret's supra uses a 3S-GE as well and goes sideways on 18", shredding slicks..

also there's one thing about getting 50/50 balance.. means it's suited to the driver then? hmm.. then there's another thing about overall weight.. the 4A is light, so rear could be heavier? (fuel tank, diff, rest of the shell etc etc..).. then again a 1UZ / 3S would make it easier to balance out.. hmm.. just my 2 cents..

good luck with it eh..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    3rz-fe chuckster
    Really torquey engines

1uz into ma70 isnt the best of transplants, 1 you cant get nice headers due to tright space, 2 theres gonna be SFA room in there - excess heat. MK3 supras were meant for inline 6's only

Gl with the 4cyl towing 1690kg tho

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    1uz into ma70 isnt the best of transplants, 1 you cant get nice headers due to tright space, 2 theres gonna be SFA room in there - excess heat. MK3 supras were meant for inline 6's only
    dont forget the a70 has a wicked makeshift vent / gaping hole under the right headlight which can be used to pipe cold air into the engine bay...
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

"...put em into a round room and tell them to hide in the corner.........." sorry... thats the thought that comes to mind reading this thread..... or would Pavlovs dog be a better anology

has anyone noticed the poster has only the one post in this thread.... nothing clarifing his needs?????

I need to hear more??? a 4AG in an xA70 chassis is like putting a 2.4 F1 V8 into a NASCAR stock car... yeah... you'll get it to move... but whats the point other than to say you did it????????
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Has anyone noticed you've just dug up a thread that's been dead for over a year?
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association