Thread: 4a water pump/pulley measurement

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default 4a water pump/pulley measurement

when i turboed the gze i removed the s/c and idler pulley obviously. so, having left the altenator on the left hand side of the engine i needed to space the water pump pulley forward as to use the same belt as the altenator, on the front half of the crank pulley. wanting to just get the car going i used a few washers behind the pulley rather than make up a correctly sized spacer, its not perfect and the belt isnt perfectly lined up but it works.

anyway a year and a half later i thought i might get around to machining up a proper spacer so i was wondering whats the best way to measure the thickness needed. im using a differerent w/p pulley which moves it close forward but i dont know the correct measurement required for the spacer. i spose i could use the original pulley and use a much thicker spacer and just measure the distance between the first grove on the front and back half of the crank pulley but thought it better to use the different w/p pulley meaning i can use a thinner and lighter spacer.

sorry for the long rant for a simple question heres a pic just so you can tell what im on about, not a good pick but only one i have on the puter.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: 4a water pump/pulley measurement

Can you find a standard ZE and simply measure the distance between the belts?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Either that, or measure distance of the first groove out from the timing case on both the crank pulley and the water pump pulley.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Using the standard ZE pulley and pump, the spacer needed is 21.5mm [EDIT - Just went and checked].

I measured this by laying a straight edge across the face of the crank pulley and then measured from this edge to the first peak set into the crank pulley. Then I also measured the distance from the edge to the first peak set into the water pump pulley. The difference was 22.5mm.

Machined up a spacer and the belt seems to sit pretty straight.

Hen
    Last edited by Hen; 20-12-2005 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I am a 1337 h4x0r

all good ideas, thanks guys. yeah hen i just might use your measurement and use the original ze pulley (if i can find it) rather than the one im using now, if i can get it made up in alloy weight wont be an issue anyway.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

OK, just went and measured. My spacer is 23mm, but sits about 1.5mm too far forward. So I'd say aim for 21.5mm and it should be pretty good.

Hen

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

On mine, I ended up shifting the alternator down the bottom on the drivers side, welding a bracket for it onto where the blower used to sit. I also removed a lot of the unnecessary heavy cast iron crap in the process.

yeah i would love to move the altenator to the drivers side down the bottom and inturn having the passenger side free to reinstall the airconditioning, but unfortunatelty my crank angle sensor is in the way, as you can see below. i could move the CAS to the passenger side and the alt to the drivers side but i dont think its worth the hassle unless i can get my aircon back.