Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into track racing ae82's?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Default Anyone here into track racing ae82's?

If so, I'd like to know a bit about suspension setups.

What spring rates work well, what shock brands are best, what compression/rebound best matches each setup. What rate sway bars were good, and ride height.

I'd like to set up my car best for winding hilly roads. A sort of cross country setup - sort of like bathurst looks but with more focus on the top of the track.
    I prefer a fairly neutral setup with a tendancy to lift off oversteer.

Currently I have a fairly decent setup with what look to be progressive rate springs, adjustable front shocks, whiteline handling pack (with the rear swaybar on max), and a good wheel allignment. Ride height appears stock and wheels are 15".
    It's definitely got great handling, but I cant help feel like there's more potential.
    Sometimes the high speed weight shifting feels a bit odd, as if the car is diagonally rocking. It's not really a problem, and it still corners faster than anything I've been in, but it does reduce my confidence a little.

I figured it'd be nice to hear from some pro's

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone here into track racing ae82's?

there was a guy in track talk... not sure if it was this or last forum, (or perhaps PF) who was doing respectable times... or maybe it was AE92.. much of a muchness
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    It's definitely got great handling, but I cant help feel like there's more potential.
    Sometimes the high speed weight shifting feels a bit odd, as if the car is diagonally rocking. It's not really a problem, and it still corners faster than anything I've been in, but it does reduce my confidence a little.

I figured it'd be nice to hear from some pro's
    Sounds like a monster!

What your describing is natural physics. I quickly drew this for you;

In this picture, you are accelerating around a corner.

Therefore an additional percentage of the cars weight will be placed on wheels 2 and 4 due to their 'grip' which resists the centrifugal force on the car. But since the car is increasing its speed, the wheel 4 will have an even higher %age of the car's weight on it. So in theory, wheel 1 has a small %age of weight on it and wheel 4 has a large %age of weight on it. The car will then rock diagonally on wheel 4. No matter how stiff your suspension is, this will always happen.

The only thing I can suggest is to get your car's centre of gravity even lower to the road. So a lower driving position, even some V8 supercar style weights on the passenger seat rails will help too (this will also counteract your weight on one side of the car).

Hope this helps a bit?

Sadistically Perverse Chief Engine Builder Disturbed1's Avatar

im keen to follow thread im thinking about track racing my mz

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

From memory Lauren Gray was doing her IPRA stint in Vic in an AE82, seemed to be doign quite well too. Has since moved to PRC with an Echo.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

AE82 should be a great choice for beginners track car. Infinite parts for 4AGE, CHEAP and plentiful spares, and a light chassis. Does the Twinky come with rear discs?

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

yeah twincam ae82 come stock with 4 wheels discs.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

friend used to go to wakefield alot with his ae82 seca twin cam all he had was trd springs (with blown shocks) adjusted the camber in the front with the factory adjustment to as far as it would go to get about 2-3deg -tive camber and semi slicks.All he had done to the brakes was a set of metal king pads. Was lapping wakefield in 1min 17 not too shabby imho with some new shocks he could have run alot faster i think.

edit: might be worth investing in some urethane bushes to tighten all your susspension as the stocker bushes would be pretty worn by now

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Trade it in on an AW11 myles

Seriously I am quite impressed with the handling of your car man. Replacing the bushes should help it out though.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

The only bushes that havent been replaced with nolathane are the front 'front lower control arm bush' and rear lower control arm bushes. Those bushes are about 25mm in total diameter so there's not a lot of slack in them in the first place. I do plan to replace them anyhow and I was quite dissappointed they werent in the whiteline kit.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic smt_007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPho3nix
    Sounds like a monster!

What your describing is natural physics. I quickly drew this for you;
    Nice info.

Yeah it is, but I still dont understand why it'd rock back and forth between wheel 1 and wheel 4 several times during a corner. Most of the weight would be on wheel 2, because it's FWD and the front tyres take a real hammering.
    Perhaps I've experienced the reason behind corner weighting?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i'm keen to get my ae82 on the track, what shocks do people recommend, will be puttin in all new bushes in the next few weeks but am thinking my stock twinky suspension aint gonna cut it anymore

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

if your gonna hit the track regularly then adjustable dampers might be what you look for. Koni's if they still make them or KYB if they make em for the 82.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    Yeah it is, but I still dont understand why it'd rock back and forth between wheel 1 and wheel 4 several times during a corner. Most of the weight would be on wheel 2, because it's FWD and the front tyres take a real hammering.
    Perhaps I've experienced the reason behind corner weighting?
    perhaps it's because of swaybars.

if you are cornering as pictured, and most weight is on wheel 2, and you have big front swaybay, when it is pushed up (into body) it will pull up wheel 1 also.
    if the rear swaybar is too small, then wheel 4 will not pull up wheel 3 as much. so you have a situation where wheel 3 has least load and is extended, wheel 4 has load and is compressed (as you would expect from rear wheels), BUT, at the front, the high load on wheeel 2 is sucking wheeel 1 back into the body (think cold day ), and this results in unloading of wheeel 1...

so either your rear bar is too small, or your front bar is too big??

i might be completely wrong, but all i can think of right now
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!