Thread: MA61 strut insert problem

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default MA61 strut insert problem

My AE86 project for the last 1.5 years has kept me busy. 1GGTE, Hilux diff, MA61 struts, RA60 lower control arms, MS65 hubs, MA70 brakes front and rear.

Problem 1
    I purchased a front coil over conversion with an insert. The conversion kit was for an AE86. On measuring the 2 components, it was determined the AE86 insert would fit the MA61 strut. When I tried this this afternoon, I found the insert actually got stuck around where the original spring seat was welded on. Due probably to deformation of the metal. 2 hours with a die grinder and hone fixed that. Now the insert gets stuck aroung the spot weld marks where the brake hose bracket is welded on.

Problem 2
    The coil over conversion for the rear requires the original shock mounts be used. I feel that these woould be too weak for long periods of use and would lead to fatigue failure, especially in the floor of the boot. The diff mount i will modify anyway.

Has anybody had any of these problems, or are there any suggestions. At the moment, I am looking at boring out the strut tube for the length of the strut about 1mm bigger diameter. I have also thought about replacing the original strut tube with a new one.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. This problem has stuffed me, for at least a day anyway.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: MA61 strut insert problem

im using st141 struts in my ae86. im pretty sure they are the same diameter as the ones you have.

so you think the tube is being distorted by the heat. perhaps filling the tube with water before you weld will help keep it cool and stop the distortion.

using new struts would help. i simply went to the wreckers, got two struts and cut the spring perches of myself with a grinder. i also shortened them myself with a drop saw. i didnt have any dramas with the shocks fitting

i have seen some radical mods to get coiovers in the rear. people go to the extent of cutting out the rear mount and welding in the shock tower from the front of another car. this would give a complete upper mount setup, same as in the front of your car, it would require some sweet engineering, but would be sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

User Conversion King

hopefully you should know this but have you considered the mega-super amount of +ve camber MA61 struts will give?

im only assuming here but if AE86 struts have the same stub axle - strut tube angle as RA40/23/28/XT130/RT132 etc, then your looking at getting something like ~4deg of + camber.

putting RA60/63/65 struts into the above listed cars give a couple degrees of + camber. also, people that own MA61's fit RA60/65 struts to gain a degree or two of -ve camber......so yeh, do the math.

maybe you could consider RA60/65 struts instead before you go to the trouble of the converting to coil over.

forget what i said is you already know etc.....
    hello

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thanks for the info guys.

I am using an RA60 bottom control arm which makes everything sweet. I have already measured this. The whole idea of changing to this version strut was the larger stub axle and 5 stud conversion to match the rear. It was easier the go 5 stud than to convert the rear hilux diff to 4 stud.

As I said, it was the slightly smaller inside diameter of the strut which caused the problem with the insert, especially around the original distorted welded areas. I can, and have fixed this with some course grit stones on a hone, an die grinder and a shit load of work. If I really need to, I can also machine less than 0.5mm off the outside diameter of the insert which wont affect strenght. By making the insert that tight, it actually improves heat transfer.

The rear coilovers actually are designed to fit in the existing shock mounts. The cost of the whole kit was cheaper than buying 4 new springs and shocks anyway. Being 36 way adjustable and rebuildable is an added bonus. Not to mention it has saved the hassal of mounting a spring seat onto the new diff housing. I will be reinforcing the rear shock mounts anyway.

I have taken a similar change of convention with the 1GGTE sump into the sprinter. It is actually cheaper and easier to install a dry sump with small sump and external oil tank than pay someone to make a custom sump and all the clearance issues associated with a decent size oil capacity, and you can get the engine nice and low without hassal.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Even with coilovers designed to fit the standard shock body mounts, I would definitely look at reinforcing around it. Have you got pics of the coilovers and how they fit?

Callum

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I've altered quite a few sets of RA60 struts (for Corollas and otherwise) and never had any trouble getting the insert in there. Also take note of what was said above and use RA60 struts instead of MA61 ones.

With the coilovers on the rear, you have to be sure you know why you're actually doing it. If you just want to be able to adjust corner weights, do it with a correct set of springs and shims. If you want to be properly cool, adapt/fabricate a whole new rear end (S13 if you must, or find something a little more oddball to be properly cool). If you want to be fuli sik, go the 'coilvers'...

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Fot what it' worth, I was told by someone once that ae86 and xA6x inserts were not exactly the same length... they are interchangeable one way but not the other. This might be somehting to do with your problem. Maybe.