Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA45 - GA45 engine conversion

Default MA45 - GA45 engine conversion

Well everyone.

Blown head gasket. Second time on the same engine, my M-EU. (on my MA45 Celica XX - Celica Supra.) Ive decided thats enough, and started looking for upgrades. The motor is a POS anyway, but it's a rare car, and I would like to keep it and put some work in.

My first thought was a 5mge. Not too difficult, bolt-in, a conservative engine, but with enough power to enjoy. However it's still gonna cost me a bit - I can get an incomplete one (but i think between my engine and this we have all the pieces) for $50 off a dude I know, however im honestly not sure of the condition - it's been sitting in his garage for a while and i would be putting some money into it anyway.

Now, I've started thinking. In fact, I woke up half an hour ago and couldnt get back to sleep for thinking about stuff. Anyway, regarding my MA45, I have a thought - I would love to put a 1GGZE in my ma45. Now according to SSS Automotive, at least the website there, I can purchase one that they have in stock for $1400, with a 5sp gearbox. Or else 2000 for an automatic 1JZ/UZ?

I tend to lean for the 1g - for some reason it sits more comfortably with me than an auto 1j, or even a 1uz. Partly because of the $600 price difference, but also because I would think it would be easier to fit? I also tend to lean towards the 1ggze - i know that once you get those two turbo's working, the gte will be quicker than the gze, however, for something that I want to be driving around town all the time, I like the idea of having more pull earlier on. However, I havent driven a car with any type of 1g in it, so i dont know how it would really feel - thats just off what I have been told.

Main question - If I get a 1g, is it a bolt in swap? Now I ask this, because I assume all the M engines are interchangable - i.e. they have all the bolts in the same places. Since there was both a ga61 and an ma61 - a ga70/ma70 - i wonder if the G and M engines would be bolt in swaps? Or are the G's and M's different? Is a 1JZ different again?

Any help would be welcome - I have a good mechanic friend who's happy to help me out with fitting everything up - and knows much more, however if theres lots of fiddly things to be done with a conversion, then I think I would be asking too much, of him and his time. But I would rather have him help me, as that way I can save some money, and learn stacks more myself at the same time, and get to put some of my own effort into it.

Thanks
    James

Edit - sorry it's a bit long/disjointed, Only woke up a little while ago. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktopspirit
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

Default Re: MA45 - GA45 engine conversion

Maybe what I should really be asking, is the MA45 the same as the MA61, in terms of how to fit things? Theres no documentation on MA45's, let alone on any engine conversions.

Ill post everything I find on them, in the faint possibility that maybe someone will come after me. Unlikely, but you never know who else will be as dumb as you.
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

or a third question, another alternative - get the 5mge - and I think I will need to use the wiring loom and afm from my M-EU - is it possible that this can be done? Otherwise ill have to find the wiring loom and afm off a 5mge somewhere.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

What sump does the MA45 run?

If the engine mounts are the same as the mounts in either an MA61, or say an MS123, or MS112, then you should be able to get GA61/GS123/GS112 mounts and make it bolt in.

I say should, only because I don't know anyone who has done a GA45, only GA40's.

Can you get any pics of your mounts?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Oh, and don't try to adapt one loom/ecu from one engine to another, it will just cause headaches.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Yeah ill get some pics at some stage, and post them up.

Oh, and don't try to adapt one loom/ecu from one engine to another, it will just cause headaches.
    Ive been told that its the same loom/ecu anyway, and everything should just plug in? I have the necessary modified dizzy as well. however, perhaps i should listen to you in this?

Most 5MGE's run electronic advance. This will have a completely different loom.

Only the early 5MGE runs vacuum advance like the 5M-E and M-E.

No point going to all this effort only to keep old technology.
    Unless of course you get a cheap early 5MGE and you are doing this purely to gain some experience in swaps. Then I say go for it.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Most 5MGE's run electronic advance. This will have a completely different loom.

Only the early 5MGE runs vacuum advance like the 5M-E and M-E.

No point going to all this effort only to keep old technology.
    Unless of course you get a cheap early 5MGE and you are doing this purely to gain some experience in swaps. Then I say go for it.
    Ahh yeah. It must be an early 5mge. This is intended to be only temporary and cheap - i need something to drive, and I would love to have the knowledge and experience of engine swaps. Id love to get a 1g - only for the next month or so at least, it's financially out of the quesiton. However, a cheap 5mge swap wouldnt be.

I think ill just have to make a decision after I get the engine - whether its an early or later one, etc.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

With the MA45 having a steering box you might find that the twin turbos on both the 1G-GTE and the 1JZ-GTE make fitting either of them quite hard with a conversion to rack and pinion (prbly more work that you are after!).

Why not a 2JZ-GE!!! They are quite cheap! ANd mounts can be bought to make it bolt in (I believe MA45 is front sump and shares MA61 mounts). There is a 2JZ-GE with loom and ecu up in Bris here for $950...

As cruz said, stick with the loom that comes with the engine, a lot more work trying what you were / are thinking.

If your on a real budget then there is no reason a 5mge won't be a goer...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

You wanna have a ride in a 1g powered car?

in the coming weeks I'm sure I could organize something...
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

With the MA45 having a steering box you might find that the twin turbos on both the 1G-GTE and the 1JZ-GTE make fitting either of them quite hard with a conversion to rack and pinion (prbly more work that you are after!).

Why not a 2JZ-GE!!! They are quite cheap! ANd mounts can be bought to make it bolt in (I believe MA45 is front sump and shares MA61 mounts). There is a 2JZ-GE with loom and ecu up in Bris here for $950...

As cruz said, stick with the loom that comes with the engine, a lot more work trying what you were / are thinking.

If your on a real budget then there is no reason a 5mge won't be a goer...

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Ahh i had never considered a 2JZ-GE. Definitely an idea. However, I am, sadly, on a budget - looking for a new job atm too, so it's a (very) bad time to be trying to afford an engine swap.
    However I picked up a 5mge on friday, that im gonna drop in in the meantime. Ill replace the gaskets and give it a clean up, but it should do. And it will still be a huge upgrade over the M.

Quote Originally Posted by stradlater

You wanna have a ride in a 1g powered car?

in the coming weeks I'm sure I could organize something...
    Ahhhhhhhh yes, yes I do.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Wear brown undies my friend. Coz Mr Fabio's car seriously scares the shit through me....
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

LOL. Sounding good already.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

7mge? 210Hp, uses M series engine mounts, bolts up to your existing gearbox? need i say more? And you can get one from as little as $400 with a gearbox, just look in engines for sale section