Thread: ae92 4afc gearbox oil

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default ae92 4afc gearbox oil

hi

mums corolla is starting to get alittle crunchy in the gears, and after inspecting the car, i have noticed there is a small amount of oil comming from the gearbox. nothing major, probably a pinhole leak thats not worth fixing, so i need to know how to top up the oil in it...

car: 1994 ae92 corolla 1.6l fwd with the snail powered 4A-FC engine - car has done 145xxx km's

1) how do i top up the oil in it? is there some type of measurement thing aka: dipstick?

2) how much in total should the gearbox have? ie: 5 litres???

3) if i find out what oil was origionally put in it (serviced by trusted machanic 1000km ago) do i have to drain it completely or can i just pour a bit in????

also i belive the second gear syncro is gettting abit dodgy, will adding/ topping up oil make gear changes smoother?

thanks for the help
    connect

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: ae92 4afc gearbox oil

First offf, Is it manual or auto?

1) If manual, there will be a bung in the side of the gearbox. On level ground, undo the bung and stick your finger in and feel for the oil, should be just below the level of the bung.

2) till it starts to come out of the bung/filler hole.

3) depends if he put new gearbox oil in, if so then a top up would be recommended.

You can get an additive that will assist with synchro crunching etc or you can change to a top notch oil such as Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil ($115-130 per gallon). I'd probably try an additive first given it will be cheaper to try.

Quote Originally Posted by inertia
    First offf, Is it manual or auto?

1) If manual, there will be a bung in the side of the gearbox. On level ground, undo the bung and stick your finger in and feel for the oil, should be just below the level of the bung.

2) till it starts to come out of the bung/filler hole.

3) depends if he put new gearbox oil in, if so then a top up would be recommended.

You can get an additive that will assist with synchro crunching etc or you can change to a top notch oil such as Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil ($115-130 per gallon). I'd probably try an additive first given it will be cheaper to try.

thanks for the responce mate, however do you have an idea of where this bung is?? im still learning

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

On the radiator side of gearbox there will be a nut about halfway or so up, I cannot remember the size, but it's a larger one.

Failing that, a haynes/gregory's manual is a great place to start learning about your vehicle . It's what I started on before doing my first oil change all those years ago.

say yes to boobs Grease Monkey mc68's Avatar

probably a 22 or 24mm bung

hi

just had a look to find this bung type thing

is this it? it requires an alan key to remove
    http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=at...c99c087ca3be42
    the one in question is above the white plug

anyone want to reply to my above post plse

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

allenkey?? hm..

a 22mm / 24mm spanner / socket sounds right ..

start from the basic.. get access to your gearbox.. hoist the car up so that u are looking straight at the gearbox...(or lower yourself to see it) my general rule of thumb is that the nut you are looking for always sits just above the drive shaft.. and there would be more than one nut / bung thing. the one you want to open up should be just above the drive shafts.. and the easier one to open up. Maybe your mechanic has used plumber tape or the nut has some marks to show it has been opened before?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child