Thread: Just a quick question ...

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Red face Just a quick question ...

Hi, I just wanted to ask u guys real quick. I am changing my 4-AGE to a 4-AGZE (whole engine replacement). Me and my mates will be able to mount the engine in to the bay by ourselves at home. I just needed to ask bout the computer and wiring, does the GZE computer plugs straight on replacing the old one or the whole car will need to be re-wired?

Thanks alot anyway

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: Just a quick question ...

you should change the loom. the plugs for the ECU will possibly be different. (i am pretty sure they are)

also there are several extra plugs on the GZE loom that you will need to make the GZE engine work. what type of GZE is it ie big/small port. DLI or dizzy? these things will affect the loom type.

i would just swap it over, not too hard and will save some headaches, me thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

what slide86 said is right..

try to get a loom and ECu from the same engine and it should be good
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

I see, but wouldn't it cost to much to re-wire the whole car? Or it is something that is possibly able to do by yourself? The engine does come with wiring loom and ECU. To mount in engine itself cost me almost 1.5k not including front intercooler mount and fitment of BOV and wastegate all those. And if I have to re-wire the car it would probably cost me my year salary all up then

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

When I did my conversion, I transferred all the wiring from the frontcut over and adjusted things like gauges/switches etc to suit my AE92 aussie dash.

In your situation, you'll need to take your current 4AGE loom right out, lay it out. then lay out the GZE loom and work out howto merge the 4AGZE bits into the 4AGE loom.

For starters, there's two plugs for the ECU that come straight from the 4AGZE engine, these will just plug into the GZE ECU and won't need to be touched (i think).

Then you need to worry about the 3rd plug that comes down from the dash loom to plug into the GZE ecu, you will need to find out what each wire in this 3rd 4AGZE plug does and then match it to the corresponding wire in your 4AGE loom.

And I don't even want to know how much my gze conversion cost, but i'd be tipping about 3-4k ontop of the frontcut... includes tools, clutch, new waterpump, radiator reco, heatercore reco etc. It's worth doing the job right so you don't end up with problems that were easier to fix when the engine is out .

Oh well, Doesn't sounds so good to me. Looks like I am facing a real probelm here and I might have a totally flat pockets for the rest of the year then. If it is around 3-4k on top of the frontcut then I'd be ending up spending around 7k or more on this conversion!!! ... Well what about getting the 20V conversion, does it costs the same by the way?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

If you have a front cut you should have everything you need being the wiring loom and ecu that came with the motor.
    Need to marry the engine management loom from half cut with the lights/gauges loom in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by progkamol
    Oh well, Doesn't sounds so good to me. Looks like I am facing a real probelm here and I might have a totally flat pockets for the rest of the year then. If it is around 3-4k on top of the frontcut then I'd be ending up spending around 7k or more on this conversion!!! ... Well what about getting the 20V conversion, does it costs the same by the way?
    It all depends on your approach to it mate, you can just dump the engine straight out of your frontcut and into your car without changing anything at all except fluids...

Myself I went the middle ground, not a full rebuild, just replaced things that would likely give me greif, rallystanza did the majority of conversion with help from myself, stockae86 and henn.

I purchased

Genuine
    Waterpump
    Fuel Filter
    Oil Filter
    Cam Valley Gasket
    Spark Plugs
    Coolant
    EFI Main Fuel Line
    Timing Belt

Other Things
    Belts
    2nd Hand EFI tank/pump
    Radiator Reco'd
    Heatercore Reco'd
    Driveshafts Reco'd
    Front Wheel Bearings Changed
    Koyo Timing Belt tensioner pulley
    Engine Crane
    Engine Stand
    Socket Set
    Metric Spanners
    Metric Pipe Spanners
    Torque Wrench
    Jack Stands
    Jack
    Funnels

HD Exedy Clutch Kit
    Brake Pads
    Rear Disc Brake Setup
    K&N AirFilter

Oils Etc
    Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil
    Penrite HPR15
    Loctite BlueStick

There was a myriad of stuff that I bought and yes the bank account emptied mighty fast .

inertia:
    you mentioned about I can just dump the engine in. What do you mean by that, will it just work that way? i mean I've heard that everything will need to be change eg. ECU wiring joints seals brakes and others. Anyway by doing the way you did how much will I have to spend and how long does it takes to finish the whole thing u reckon? Are there anyone in Perth who willing to mess around with this thing? If there are then I am willing to buy all the crane and tools then we can have fun doing the thing (I hope) .......

By dump it in, I mean just simply lift it out of the cut and bolt it all in without changing the clutch, replacing waterpump/timing belt etc. Sure it might work, but for how long?
    There's a long list of 4AG's that have had waterpump failures from sitting around dry.

In my opinion it was better to take the time and spend money now rather than later. It's much easier changing the timing belt and waterpump whilst the engine is out of the car. And we changed the timing belt tensioner pulley cause they can be very noisy when they die and also a pain in the backside to change in car.

Timewise... well, we took our time, didn't work on it everyday, but we started pulling the 4af out around the end of february 2005 and the car was totally finished by the end of july... if hard pressed i'd say could have it done much quicker... but I had other transport and rallystanza did most of the mechanical work with my assistance.

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progkamol
    mount and fitment of BOV and wastegate all those.
    errrmmm.. you wont be needing them if your putting in a 4agze.

What I was thinking is to move the supercharger so it is before the throttle bodies (just like turbo set up). Mainly because I wanted to listen to sound of BOV.
    I have no idea that it will make faster or slower but I just know that setting up that way is possible.