Thread: Engine combo

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Engine combo

Hey ive been doing some reading up on hybrid engines and just wondering if any one done one ive got a 21r in my celica keeping it stock for time been for rego but i was thinking about building a 22r with 20r head and has any one tryed any of these setups below or can recomand me some setups and places were i can get the parts from cheers
    luke

souce from http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...tech_notes.htm
    some Recommended Set-ups:

For stock configuration- the 20R / 22R / 22RE engines are very easy to work on. Due to different emission requirements for the different model years, try to work on the original engine. Porting the head will increase breathing and will not hurt emissions- so basically to stay legal and improve performance- the cylinder head must be ported. The early 22RE pistons can be used to upgrade the 20R to 2400cc.

For modified configuration- the 20R head on top of early 22Rs will instantly give higher compression. All heads must be ported with big valves installed. Be careful of camshaft choice, just remember that all slow modified 20 / 22R / 22RE engines have been over-cammed. Do not try to install cams with duration over 280 on single carb or fuel injection models. Twin side carburetors are the best way to go. For limited budget use the Weber 38 DPS. Headers installed with 2 3/4" exhaust will be optimal. A heavier flywheel will help 4WD models, that should also have the gear ratios changed to compensate for tire sizes.

For racing configuration- basically these engines are truck engines. For off-road truck racing and high performance street use (both pick-ups and Celicas) the Toysport Spec SCORE / HDRA set-up is reliable and impressive. See the parts list for the 20R / 22R engines.

Although we have successfully used the 22RE in circuit racing and rallying, and truck off-road racing- the only reason these engines were used was because of the race regulations. The handicap is the block configuration- which was built for torque and longevity- meaning slow and heavy. The cylinder head modifications, if properly done increases head flow by up to 200%.

For turbo set-up- forged pistons, ported head with open chambers, big valves, TO4 or CT26 turbo, 3" exhaust, mild cam, Carillo Rods, boost controller, blow-off valve and keep the boost under 25 psi!!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Engine combo

For this plan to work you'd need to get your hands on a 20R head, which you'll find very difficult since they were never sold here.

The Yanks love their 20/22R hybrid engines but they're very overrated. After you've built your hybrid engine you're halfway to the cost of a 1G conversion, which will crap on a hybrid from a very great height.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

By the time you've bought a 22R, setup an EFI pump, etc etc, you've quite likely spent as much as a 1G conversion, let alone rebuilding and doing major work to the 22. The yanks love them because they have a crap selection of import motors, so they're forced to live with what they got delivered. Here, no so trouble SSS Automotive had 1G-GTEs for around 1k, even if it costs 2k to get it fitted (heaps), you're laughing...

RM.

do i need to get a engineer cert if i was to do this 1g converion into my ra60?? and were abouts in nsw i live in the upperhunter muswellbrook how easy is it to get power out of a 1g?? cheers
    luke

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Yes you will need engineer certification. As for power, the 1G-GTE has 210hp out of the box which is much more than you can expect out of a 20/22R hybrid. With stock turbos 250hp isn't hard to acheive.

do u know any wear around my area thay would do it???