Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mx22 corona questions

i am a rollomatic Backyard Mechanic _gear2's Avatar

Default mx22 corona questions

after removing the fibreglass job that had been done to my boot ive found that the damm thing is completely rusted through, one god awful mess. Ive tried looking for a replacement but have had no luck, I was wondering as I drive the coupe version of the mark II, would a boot lid from the sedan fit in the coupe.

Also one of the back passenger windows doesn’t wind properly, it pops out of the track it follows after the window reaches it highest point, and u start to wind it down again. After having a look I found that the plastic wheel like bits that surround the steel pin that follows the track had broken off (I took photos but the damm usb cables gone missing, sry if my explanation doesn’t make sense) thus the reason they pop out.
    I was wondering if u can simply replace the plastic bits some how, as getting a replacement part is proving difficult. Or is there any other cars that would have similar parts I could use thanks. Remembering this is the back window on the coupe so its not a normal passanger window.
    i feel much better now that ive given up hope

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: mx22 corona questions

The rear of the coupe is considerably different. While I haven't compared the bootlids side-by-side I would be stunned if they were the same.

A good panel beater will be able to resurrect just about anything, but it won't be cheap.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

no, a sedan lid won't fit, completely different. i've found that the bootlid is prone to rust, which sucks.

it'd probably be easier to fix the rust than trying to find another bootlid, very hard to find parts for mk2's.

anywaysss, got an engine conversion planned?
    beer me!

yeah my rear windows are doing a similar thing, i've gotta check mine out to see what the prob is.

i think you should turn the bootlid into a bobtail like the gt500 mustang celica trust me, i had an slr5000 bobtail on my last mx23(RIP ) and it looks sweet!
    beer me!

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

with the window guide broken rubber.

measure the width of the track it slides into ... usualy about 20-30mm.

buy same size 'sliding' door roller wheel from bunnings. grind the old knob off. screw the wheel in place and never shall it need fixing again!

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...=window+roller

Riceburner has done a full write up for the TA22. Same principal for yours.

Oh and btw Pick and Payless Blacktown has a rusty MX13 in the yard.
    Cant remember if it was 2door or 4.... might b worth a look for parts.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

haha ta-022 i think the one at pic and payless has gone to car heven, got a few parts of it awhile ago, but when i went there on the weekend it was gone thanks for the window guide broken rubber it was perfect.

A good panel beater will be able to resurrect just about anything, but it won't be cheap
    my technical supervisor at uni’s an ex panel beater, and when I should the boot to him he just laughed and told me its completely fcked, and I though fixing the crappy riveted job in my cars boot was fun enough

in the way of engine conversions i chucked a 5m in the other day to get it running, but i think im heading in the direction of a 7m-ge i was looking at things from the jz family but i think il go the easy way and do something that bolts straight in what u think joecoolmk2?

Quote Originally Posted by _gear2
    my technical supervisor at uni’s an ex panel beater, and when I should the boot to him he just laughed and told me its completely fcked, and I though fixing the crappy riveted job in my cars boot was fun enough

in the way of engine conversions i chucked a 5m in the other day to get it running, but i think im heading in the direction of a 7m-ge i was looking at things from the jz family but i think il go the easy way and do something that bolts straight in what u think joecoolmk2?

get the ex panel beater guy to cut off the bootskin above the rust and shape and weld another bit of sheet steel into a bobtail spoiler. a tiny bit of body filler to smooth over the welds and voila! if you're gonna do it though, you'll have to preload the boot hinge spring-rods to cope with the extra weight.
    beer me!

if you don't have the tools, time and patience, and a fabrication workshop at hand then i wouldn't do the jz convo. the 7m would be a nice powerplant for the mk2 as long as you can keep the head gaskets up to it , and it's gotta be a manual.

edit: and a bigger wad of cash for the jz!
    beer me!

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

7MGE would be a fairly straight forward conversion, and could be done on a budget.
    As Joe said - a JZ conversion is going to cost a lot more.

Good luck with the bootlid and window, parts for these are getting impossible to find now.

Cheers
    -Phil

why don't you do a 1uz convo, they're easy

the only challenges for a 7m conv. are the wiring and getting a good exhaust past the steering.
    beer me!

get the ex panel beater guy to cut off the bootskin above the rust
    ahha that would be nice if it wasn’t rusted the whole way through we drilled out the spot welds etc etc, today separated the 2 parts and the inner frame collapsed on itself. Turned out the bootskin and a bit of fibreglass was all that was holding it together. So now ive started to make on from scratch, i truly hate rust. Least the windows sorted now

Yer i think il go with the 7m option, theres plenty of Cressida about that i could use for a donor. With the conversion ive had a scan of the forums, though slap me if im blind and stupid but i couldnt find any posts that go into much detail with the mark 2's engine conv's just wondering if theres any common lil things to watch out for with putting a 7m in like

getting a good exhaust past the steering.
    thanks again for all the help.

well, it's an M engine, just like the original engine was. it'll be the same as the 5M you said you put in, same engine mounts, and same gearbox mounts. you'll have to make a new exhaust, unless you've got a decent size one(2 to 2-1/2") already which you can mod to fit the 7M. then just wire her up and away you go. there are other cars such as the crown , which would be very similar to what you're doing. i know of at least one crown that's got a 7m in it. just search for 7m-ge crown etc.
    beer me!

You will probably have to swap the sump over and find or make a pickup to suit. You will need a high pressure fuel system too. Mx22's have a smaller radiator than the mx13 / 23 so you may have trouble with cooling?
    If you're not running AC & PS you may need to make up some idlers up to take place of the compressor and pump?

Just little things but worth mentioning.

Cheers
    -Phil

oh yeah i forgot that stuff. good one pure in sanity.

check what size master cylinder you have too. it might have 15/16" or 7/8".

i'd do the pug/hilux brake conversion too. let me know if you find a good sized radiator from another car, i'm gonna make the later mx13 3 core fit eventually.

oh yeah, does this mx22 have under dash hand brake or console hand brake? just curious.
    beer me!

If you're going to fit a mx13 radiator then there is a thicker one available from a landcruiser of some sought. 60 / 70 series i think?? It will fit straight in place of an mx13 radiator but it has an extra core or something. Gianttommato came accross this a while back.

Cheers
    -Phil