Thread: AE82 GZE questions

Junior Member Grease Monkey gbanger's Avatar

Default AE82 GZE questions

hello all, just wondering about a few questions that i have regarding twin cam rollas and 4AGZE's. Firstly, apart from pistons, ECU, blower and manifold, are there any other differences between these motors? is it possible to simply convert a 4AGE to a GZE with the right parts. Would it be worth doing it this way?

Secondly, a friend of mine swears by his life that he went for a ride in a GZE powered twin cam and that the owner had fitted a switch to the supercharger, allowing him to simply turn it on and off. Now ive scratched my head for hours about this trying to work out how he would have done this, or if it is possible at all. Can anyone shed some light on the topic for me.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but if you dont ask.....

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: AE82 GZE questions

gday mate. it would be an effective and worthwhile upgrade to fit the GZE engine to your ae82. its a fun engine and power upgrades are easy to achieve.

it is possible to switch the s/c on and off, it has a magnetic clutch which can be switched on and off. sort of like an a/c compressor clutch/

if you decide to go down this path, then i would start with the factory management to get it running. it still works quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Low rep Grease Monkey

You can convert the Big Port 4AGE to 4AZGE spec by bolting everything from the GZE on it, but it would not be a worthwhile excercise in the long run. The standard 4AGE will run on 7psi boost very well, as I experienced when I turbocharged mine to test the lastability of the engine with the standard internals. The only problem that I had was the head gasket went. I hammered it and hammered it and that was the only problem that I had with the engine. So yes I can be done, but I wouldnt recommend doing it for the long run.
    I know that turbocharging and supercharging are slightly different, but they both share a common denominator : BOOST.
    Fitting a complete 4AGZE to the AE82 with computer, loom e.t.c would be the best way to go. But if you wanted to do some testing like I did, then go for it!!
    Hope this helps
    Regards, Ben.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i agree, straight swap for gze is best unless your wanting to do a rebuild anyway.

no need for a Domestic Engineer finney's Avatar

another thing to take into consideration is that if you bolt it all up onto the standard bigport the standard C52 gearbox may not handle the extra torque. There is a good chance that it will last if you treat it well but with some abuse there is a good chance it will go.

by going for the halfcut/engine package optin you will get the E series box which will definately last a lot longer especially if you decide to turbocharge it down the line.

Another thing that you haven't mentioned is brakes. A simple brake upgrade to the AE101 bigger single pistons or even the twin piston superstruts is something that i would stongly recommend. I upgraded my sx brakes to the AE101 single pistons and noticed a considerable decrease in braking distance. No point having a quick car that can't stop.

like the others i would recommend going for the gze from the start and doing all the upgrades at once.
    4AGTE SX - '4AGE' - 13.6 @ 103mph - 163fwkw @ 18psi - SOLD
    1998 JZX100 Tourer V - SOLD and now lives in radelaide
    1992 GTI - SOLD

Low rep Grease Monkey

Agreed!! I did the brake upgrade too, although I kept the standard G/box to test the results after being turbocharged. It handled it surprisingly well, but like Finney said, its best to get the E Series box with the engine if possible!!
    Oh and dont forget to get the driveshafts with the box aswell
    Regards, Ben.

thanks for all the help guys. regarding the breaks, your talking about the struts from the same levin that you get the engine from right? so im asuming that these bolt in fairly easily? And one other question if i may, are there any differences in the exhaust manifolds on these two engines? ie, if i get extractors on the GE, can they be swaped for the GZE? again, thanks heaps for all your feedback.

when you get a half cut you will generally get the factory extractors and also secondaries. no point using the old manifold and secondaries with the GZE as there will be far too mucg restriction in the exhaust to get the full benefit from the swap.

even swapping from the smallport to the 20v there was a considerable size difference in teh secondaries. I ended up replacing my rear mufler for something with more flow to accommidate this as there was too much backpressure in the system which was hindering teh engine at high revs.

in regards to the brakes they will bolt up to your factory hubs i believe, however the twin piston brakes off teh superstrut require some modifications i believe? maybe someone else could clarify this with the sigle pistons from teh 101 onto the 92 there was little hassle there and they just bolted up without any modifications.
    1992 GTI - SOLD

Low rep Grease Monkey

The single piston calipers from a AE92 GTZ Levin/Trueno will bolt straight up the the AE82, but dont forget to use the AE92 disc backing plates aswell, you will need them. Your brake lines will also bolt up to the AE92 Calipers.
    The AE101 twin piston caliper will NOT bolt to the AE82 hub. My mate tried this and it wouldnt fit. But the AE92 discs/calipers are big enough for the AE82 anyway.
    I didnt use the complete AE92 Strut, just the calipers, discs and backing plates. Its a bit easier that way.

what i was acualy talking about was an aftermarket set of headers, but i get the point anyway. well thats about it for my questions really, thanks heaps for the responses guys, you've all been really helpful. +rep for everyone!!

actualy one thing that i didnt get... so it is possible to have an "on/off" switch for the SC, but would it be worth it? for fuel economy? or being gentle on drivetrain + internals?

you don't really need one. you can quite easily drive a gze around off boost, just shift a bit sooner. i remember my mates old gze MR2 and he could easily drive around without the little supercharger light coming on. so simply grab a boost gauge and just monitor that
    1992 GTI - SOLD

Low rep Grease Monkey

No worries, im glad that I could help