Thread: Seat swaps for TE-72?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Seat swaps for TE-72?

My TE72's seats are so nasty it takes two washings to get all the yellow foam off your clothes... so i'm looking for a swap. I was to go low buck and get some "sporty" stock seats from another model.

Will any other model toyota seats drop in pretty easily? I think I could find some MR2 or supra seats at the junkyard pretty easy. I was hoping to find an easy swap, but if not I've got enough fab equipment to make up custom brackets. I searched around the junkyard this weekend and by the measuring tape it looks like mk2 supra (or celica GTS from the same era) seats use the same mounts and should be a drop in. Anybody tried this?

I'm in the US so I don't have access to any cool australian cars or japanese only stuff [sigh].

Thanks for any ideas!

james

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Default Re: Seat swaps for TE-72?

seat covers = teh win!

other than that, all i know is that supra seats are veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy comfy, and that FTO seats are a somewhat common conversion into older cars.

Eldar.O.

Sadly we don't have the FTO over here (sweet car). The mk2 supra seats might be the winner, since for some odd reason they seem to be pretty common in junkyards here (I've NEVER seen a te-70 series corolla or older in any of the yards i frequent).

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

aw11 mr2 seats should just about bolt in (have to drill one hole in car) & they are very adjustable

T

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

One guy from the US on the Classic Celica forum has fitted 1984 Celica GTS seats to his TE72 Corolla, but I just can't remember his name at the moment.

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

gt-s ae86 in us of a had basically ma60 type seats in it - these should bolt into a te72

T

I checked out the old supra and celica GTS seats... they would definetely drop in but the seats I found were questionable... hard to find nice examples in such old cars. Luckily I found a set of AW11 seats that looked pretty good so I'm going to take a shot at putting those in. The bolt pattern is definetely a bit different but I should be able to make it work.

james