Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1G Single turbo donor playoff

Junior Member Grease Monkey Mr Multivalve's Avatar

Default 1G Single turbo donor playoff

I have done some searching and found some donors for a 1G single turbo application: Has to be to fit a T3 flange.

CT26 turbo from a 7MGTE(told they are reliable and would come on boost at 4000rpm)
    VG30 turbo(told they are steel wheel and reliable)
    RB25DET turbo(have heard they are good but do not like too much high boost)
    T3/T04 hybrid(good choice but come in a huge array of specifications for different applications)

I have searched the old forums and gotten a lot of good info but am still seeking more clarity on the issue.
    My question is out of these turbos which is best bang for buck and which would provide the most response and roughly when would they come on boost. As I am looking at doing a 1G single conversion on a tight budget with street drivability as a preference. I would be happy with something that gets me 200rwkw or close to it. My cheapo budget is $300 - $400(or cheaper ) for the turbo. What are the specs on these turbo's A/R ratio's etc..

I know you can use t25 and t28 turbos as well and they would come on boost quick but I am not looking at paying $1000 or there abouts for one. I have seen them cheaper but still at around $500. Something second hand but in good nick will do me.

Any other turbo's out there that can be obtained for a good price with a T3 flange? Idea's and experiences would be great. I do not claim to be an expert in any way, shape or form and am hoping to glean off the knowledge pool here at toymods to make a good informed decision.

Thanks in advance
    Corona Creed:
    Good to Drink, Great to Drive, keep them separate to stay Alive!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Default Re: 1G Single turbo donor playoff

I recken you should aim a bit higher than 200rwkw. My stock 1G mate 170rwkw with the stock turbos at 15psi. $300-400 for a turbo is seriously going to be pushing it to get anything decent, but more likely to be a flogged out old t04. To put a "kit" through a standard bearing turbo will set you back at least $250. Stear clear of those t3/t04 "garrett" labeled turbos on ebay as ive heard they fail within a couple of days as they apparently are not balanced or something. But then again if you look around you might get lucky and grab a bargain, more likely to be a t3/t04 for that kind of price and exhaust flange that you want. Also you have to decide if you are going to go internal wastegate?
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Gidday

I would not worry too much about the flange. To make an adaptor is just a piece of half inch steel and angle grinder/drill. opens up a whole world of choices.

Craig

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Just a heads up the CT26 doesn't use a T3 flange.

Roadhouse Automotive Encyclopaedia emp?'s Avatar

if u dont care about boost at 4000rpm then get a Super T70, i promise it will be fun
    KE38 - 2TG
    MS65 - 1UZ

Conversion Master Grease Monkey Whiplash's Avatar

if you want a good t3 type turbo go for a rb30 turbo. internal wastgate and decent amount of power from them. but your looking for around 600 for one of them but may be able to find one for a decent price and if u find one without the wastgate actuator i have one lying around here. hey if i can find a brand new gt35r for 700 bux im sure you can find a l one cheaper. think they have a near .63 rear housing on em so wouldnt be too laggy and they have a t3 flange

as joshstix stated ct26 does not have a t3 flang but a flange of its own. it is a square type with a hole basically. if you are chasing a ct26 i have one for sale and is in excellent condition with no shaft play at all. and you can have that for 400 with manifold, turbo lines and dump pipe. you could use the manifold to either cut off the flange and use it as an adapter.

if u specifically wanted a t3 type turbo and for around the 400 mark id try find a really good rb25 turbo. problem i they aint all that good condition most of the time. id say this type for turbo would be better suited as the spool up would be in the right area and they have a t3 flange

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

GT35R for $700 new = stolen?
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

haha just luky. i was searching for one for around a week and got fed up cos could only find em for around 1500 mark. then i randomly asked a dude i did an alarm install for if he new of any and he said hes got one siittin at home and been trying to sell it on silviawa for ages. and i expected around 1500 but he said i could have it for 700 bux. brand new nd genuine as i had it checked out

just luky i guess

Would a CT26 be a little bit laggy ?
    Any ideas on the vg30 turbo are they worth looking for?

With internal vs external wastegate, would you say internal is better for setups running less boost and smaller turbo's? What are the pro and cons?

I will call a couple of jap wreckers to see what they have lying around as well. RB25 option is looking pretty good as it would be an easy bolt on.

I have heard the chinese turbo's flooding ebay are crap as well.

Hey Pube that is a good figure for a stocko 1G I was just trying to not be too optimistic

Thanks for all the info
    Corona Creed:

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

I hesitate to recommend the CT26, it's not going to make a huge deal more than factory Gen3 twins, at the expense of lag. Doesn't seem worth the effort.

The RB25 option is good, although the same applies, I can't see the difference being worth the expense and effort.

I'd be looking for a secondhand GT25 like Witzl picked up, or a secondhand one that places like Importbitz has in stock.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic SIKTOY's Avatar

I got my ct26 for $200 and a custom manifold for $1500 There is no cheep way of putting a single turbo on this engine so start saving

Ben

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SIKTOY
    There is no cheep way of putting a single turbo on this engine so start saving
    Y-pipe joining factory turbo manifolds together, matched to the outlets. Not too expensive for any decent exhaust shop to knock up. Get them ported, cleaned up and HPC coated and you're laughing.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

With all due respect dude,

Do it once, do it right
    and DON'T buy an ebay turbo
    they are un-balance, peices of crap and they will shit themselves real real quick.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

yeri was coned into an ebay turbo. quickly sold it and yer got the guy on ebay in trouble. and banned. theres too many of em going around and just not worth it. justbasicaly dont buy a turbo without any real codings on it

So unless I can get manufacturers code that I can call the manufacturer about to confirm its brand then not worth the risk eh..

Well then 2nd hand in good nick looks like my best option.

Or 2nd hand in really shit nick and get it rebuilt

Anyone got any contacts to get cheap turbo's

Thanks
    Corona Creed: