Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: not allowed to post in classifieds

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: not allowed to post in classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DriftSpec
    So you think it is fair for me to pay the same price for membership as NSW members do?, yet outside of NSW you have no access to the toymods events that this membership is meant to give. So you expect me to help pay for NSW people to have their dyno days... hey what awesome value for money.

No one outside of NSW should have to pay $50 + $40 a year.
    Membership fees only help to cover the COSTS of running the club, there is no profiteering by the club for charging the fee on an annual basis. You still have to pay to go to a dyno day, albeit a reduced (but no subsidised) rate to members. Dyno days are another method of fund raising for the club.

If there were no membership fees, there would be no forums, someone has to fork out some cash. Simple as that.

This whole rep this as dodgy as hell ... anyone that doesn't like your opinion even outside the tech forums can just take point off you... hey it already happen to me today because I didn't suck up and someone didn't like my feedback... in a feedback forum

I have read in other threads of people ripping rep of ppl because they gave bad info BY ACCIDENT , with all intentions of actually trying to help out. If this happen to me I will not be enthused to ever put info onto the tech site if anyone can come along and give bad feedback because they want to be c##ts.
    But if their reputations are not any good, they cannot affect your reputation. Only people with decent reputation can affect yours. I've had a few positive feedbacks that haven't counted as the voter hasn't got a reputation capable of casting a vote. Reputable people generally won't cast negative feedback unless they deem that you have done something stupid.

I don't think its your opinion. It's the way it comes across in writting and viewed as attitude.

Junior Member Carport Converter

I never said there was any profiteering involved.

If I was to join the toymods club, I would pay the same rate as you do in NSW right?

Yet I would not have access to a vast majority of events that NSW folk do, which unless I am wrong is where nearly all the club events occur. For example as part of your membership you get an events calender, so I gather there are alot of events outside of this forum that take place. Yet I am unable to attend these events due to my location yet I still pay a premium to be a member.

Ok so I can only gain rep in the tech section, yet I can lose it anywhere else in the forum. I know this is the case because I have yet to post in the tech section

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Yeah, it is fair. Perfectly fair. Have a look in that side bar there mate, you arnt the only one in another state, and yet some of us pay for membership.
    When you factor it all in, the $40pa it costs for membership is tiddlysquat compared to how useful the forums are. Hell i still pay $60pa to PIARC even though I havnt been to a PIARC meeting since Feb2004.
    So it is fair to everyone just because you obviously have no appreication for money?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Lets put it this way. Its getting closer and closer to 1/3 of a drift practice, or 1/2 of a crap tyre. We all have to face the facts, modifying cars is an expensive hobby, let alone competing in them. The $40pa which you pay goes a long way towards the upkeep of the forums. Which, given the traffic, cost a fair packet. Let alone the events which the club puts on.

Sure I may have a different attitude to money, especially when a single event costs about $400 in entry and consumables, let alone the $1000 for control tyres etc etc. But the $40pa which it costs you is really nothing. Like two CDs, or even one for the atrocious pricing which they like to put on "import" music. Hey, its christmas, ask your parents or friends for the membership...

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Lets put it this way. Its getting closer and closer to 1/3 of a drift practice, or 1/2 of a crap tyre. We all have to face the facts, modifying cars is an expensive hobby, let alone competing in them. The $40pa which you pay goes a long way towards the upkeep of the forums. Which, given the traffic, cost a fair packet. Let alone the events which the club puts on.

Sure I may have a different attitude to money, especially when a single event costs about $400 in entry and consumables, let alone the $1000 for control tyres etc etc. But the $40pa which it costs you is really nothing. Like two CDs, or even one for the atrocious pricing which they like to put on "import" music. Hey, its christmas, ask your parents or friends for the membership...
    I can well afford any of which you stated above including the membership, I don't think I need to ask my parents. It is not the cost it is the principle.

What I am on about however is the fairness which there seems to be none of. But I am willing for anyone to prove me wrong in the arguement, but at this stage I do not see the benefits of becoming a financial member.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

I never said there was any profiteering involved.

If I was to join the toymods club, I would pay the same rate as you do in NSW right?

Yet I would not have access to a vast majority of events that NSW folk do, which unless I am wrong is where nearly all the club events occur. For example as part of your membership you get an events calender, so I gather there are alot of events outside of this forum that take place. Yet I am unable to attend these events due to my location yet I still pay a premium to be a member.
    As far as i'm aware (not being a board member) your joining fee would be the same, yes.

No you wouldn't have access to the events. Having said that plenty of non financial members turn up to toymods events and have a good time with no financial incentive to do so for the members. Generally, there is no discount associated with an event and being a financial member, with the exception of the dyno days ($5 a run).

So to say that i am a financial member and spend $40 a year to save my $5 at dyno day is a bit much.

This is what toymods is all about: A bunch of guys and gals that have a common interest and an internet forum as a communication medium.

I have made some great friends both young and old (hey river) thanks to the club and i keep paying my membership to SUPPORT the club and keep it running and keep the communication medium operational.

The networking that has been developed has been invaluable from this club, which includes trips to meet people in brisbane and perth. The combined knowledge of keeping these forums afloat has given me the gift of knowledge and the ability to work on my cars, when 3 years ago i knew nothing.

I consider that the help i have recieved from people both on the forums and with conversions have collectivly saved me thousands of dollars.

So my $40 yearly investment in supporting the club over 3 year = $120. I beleive with the amount of work i have done and received, that $120 has returned me a saving of $10,000 in labour.

There is nothing stopping yourself getting together with like minded people in your area by using these forums and doing the same thing. These forums have allowed me to do just this, but by becoming a member, its been an even better response from a tighknit community. Hell, we had up to 8 guys come over and help another member on his car on friday night. I left at 4am and i have it on good word the last guy left at 7am saturday morning. Now thats, good friendship, good times and great help.

One other benefit you receive as a member that hasn't been brought up is the sponsor discounts.

Ok so I can only gain rep in the tech section, yet I can lose it anywhere else in the forum. I know this is the case because I have yet to post in the tech section
    No, you can gain reputation anywhere and lose it anywhere. In the other thread in the feedback section, i mentioned that the majority of the reputation will be gained in the tech section, and i'm sure this will remain the case.
    Last edited by BlackSupra; 18-12-2005 at 05:54 PM. Reason: stuffed up the quote box

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

It's only $50 to become a member, then you can free range of the forums. Also, your funds will go with all the other financial Toymods members to maintain this web site.

Now, if you've bought most of your stuff from the (old) Toymods site, then $50 isn't a high price to ask. Furthermore I'm sure you've also got over $50 of useful technical advice and tips regarding your Toyota from these forums. So, why not quit your whining and put your brass bands into your skyrockets and pull out your bugs bunny and become a member?

I'm in Adelaide and although I can't get to all the cruises and meetings the forums still allows me access to technical knowledge and (being a member) access to the For Sale sections.

In regards to finding it hard to get parts for your car, and even KE15s, you oughta try and gets parts for an RA25!!!!

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

I can well afford any of which you stated above including the membership, I don't think I need to ask my parents. It is not the cost it is the principle.

What I am on about however is the fairness which there seems to be none of. But I am willing for anyone to prove me wrong in the arguement, but at this stage I do not see the benefits of becoming a financial member.
    you get a T-shirt, a sticker, a newsletter..... and you get warm fuzzies for being part of the club... just like every other member....

as was said, all events are open to the public, even board meetings.. so if you wanted to come to sydney and join in, then there is nothing stopping you.. member or not...

the reason people join (apart from the sexy t-shirt ) is because they APPRECIATE the club, and the effort that goes into it, and acknowledge that it costs to provide... toymods doesn't make money.... and they want to feel part of it....

i didn't become a member until recently, but i have been around since before it began... but due to various issues, i did not officially join... now i live in japan... i cannot access events either.. but i will be the coolest kid on the block if ppl can see my toymods sticker under the snow

but also.. if you are a member, it is more likely (well.. maybe before) that other club members help you out... ie, say you wanted to come look at a car in sydney, or were just pasing thru... from friends you make here, you may have a place to stay and a fun night out, as well as grease under the fingernails

anyway.... as has been mentioned a number of times, there is NOTHING stopping you from buying parts on the forum anyway.. you can PM the sellers and buy stuff right now.. so what are you bitching about?? you can't sell your stuff directly or post wanted ads, but you can still buy your precious MA70 parts...
    as river said, RA25 bits are a bitch to get and especially in japan, they command prices that would make you feel sick... (like $1000 for a set of new rear stop light lenses.. no surrounds)

as for the members rides... i don't want non-members to see what kind of car i have, or when i come back, what sort of car i have, because i know it will be a target for thieves, and the less advertising the better

and as for the "personal attack" (and no i didn't give you neg rep in this thread either ) it was purely in jest, and related to the number of funny comments posted by AE86 owners and dorifto kiddies.... i know not all of these ppl are daft, and some are very clever, but there seems to be more than a casual correlation between 86 and drift as part of peoples user names, and poor posting... for me and others, it's funny, and has no bearing on you at all.. it was not intended to be a personal attack in the slightest and i apologise if you feel that was the case.... it was a flippant remark intended for humour

Cya, Stewart
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

You do makes some good points.

apology accepted oldcorollas, I am sorry I took it the wrong way.

lol river, you have a way of saying things

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Not to mention you also get discounts with the club sponsors as well. You could easily get the membership fee back every year in a couple of purchases.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    there seems to be more than a casual correlation between 86 and drift as part of peoples user names, and poor posting...
    Now just to run those T-tests eh....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

You do makes some good points.

apology accepted oldcorollas, I am sorry I took it the wrong way.

lol river, you have a way of saying things
    no wuckers, no harm intended....
    but constructive posts in the tech section are highly desirable
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I just want to make one thing completely clear here, the Toymods Car Club Inc does not want people to become members simply to get more access to the forums. What we do want is a responsable comunity of Toyota enthusiasts with no tools/profiteers who simply join to exploit the forum as a free classifieds service. This is one of the things that was commonly complained about on the old forums.

On another note, the Toymods Car Club as a whole definately do not agree with your opinion that there was nothing wrong with the old forums. We would not have gone to all this effort to try and improve the behaviour of the online community that is associated with Toymods if it was not hurting our reputation and making the members of the club uncomfortable to be associated with.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

How about you try helping yourself out abit and Maybe seeing if a busness in your area wants to join in the sponsors on this site and give you a discount for being a toymods member or something similar???
    Just because you don't live in NSW or sydney doean't mean you cannot make the membership work for you if you stopped bitching abit and did something to help yourself.
    There are a few financial members from other states and even 1 that I know of from another country!
    Try finding out what type of sponsors we have go find yourself one, then contact the board with the details so they can set up the finer details.
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Driftspec,

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but what is stopping you and a few mates from starting your own SA branch of Toymods?
    In WA we have about 6 or so members, and we'll be looking at starting a WA branch in the next 12 months.
    Last edited by CrUZida; 19-12-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: State correction
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS