Thread: What clutch? - RA23/18rg

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Default What clutch? - RA23/18rg

Hi all

Can anyone share experiences / thoughts on what clutch kit they would recommend for an RA23 with an 18RG?

The car is intended to be a street/club motorsport car, so it will be under a little bit of pressure, but not huge amounts.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice pwrn's Avatar

Default Re: What clutch? - RA23/18rg

i used RPM performance clutch kit (you can order from REPCO) for my 28 celica it responds very quick and drives sweet, feels very thick and tight compared to my other 23 which i dont know what clutch but it feels very loose and slow. (the 28 gearbox was off a ra40)

EDIT: it cost $214 dollars

now 18rg powered... Grease Monkey 18rc turbo's Avatar

I'm running an exedy heavy duty clutch behind my 18r-c, it puts out just on 200 hp at the wheels, the clutch has been in the car for almost 20 months with street and drag strip use, and i haven't yet had a problem with it. It has a slightly firmer than stock pedal feel and next to no vibrations, cost me approx $220.
    3 x RA23's + 2 x RA28's = No Backyard!!

18r-g + straight lpg + t25 turbo + 14 psi = FUN!

The latest Toy : http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=807137

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

I have an exidy heavy duty clutch as well, but I am not very happy with it. It slips when I take-off, almost impossible to get wheelspin. The clutch was brand new and the flywheel was machined. Haven't had time yet to pull it apart to check what could be wrong. BTW, engine is stock 18RG.
    Projects: No project cars left ...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice pwrn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RA23
    I have an exidy heavy duty clutch as well, but I am not very happy with it. It slips when I take-off, almost impossible to get wheelspin. The clutch was brand new and the flywheel was machined. Haven't had time yet to pull it apart to check what could be wrong. BTW, engine is stock 18RG.
    i'm no mechanic but i could guess something's up with the clutch fluid or the cable that releases the clutch since you say the clutch&flywheel's new
    i can spin the wheels on my 23 but way more with the orange 28

edit:: both engine's stock with extractors

Quote Originally Posted by RA23

i agree with pwrn on this one, it doesn't sound like your clutch plate is the problem.

My RA23 had an adjustable 'leg' attached to the piston on the clutch slave cylinder, this controls how much the clutch is released from the flywheel. This 'leg' needs to be readjusted everytime you replace the clutch, just like your drum brakes need to be readjusted when you reshoe them.

If the clutch is adjusted wrong, it will be as if you are driving around with your foot half on the clutch, because the adjustable leg is stopping the clutch from properly engaging. (meaning your thrust bearing is holding a slight but constant pressure on the pressure plate, which in turn lifts your clutch plate slightly off the flywheel, making it slip. Depending on how bad the adjustment is, you may only notice it under medium to heavy accelleration.)

Does your clutch pedal 'bite' in a different position to what it originally did??? because thats a dead giveaway that it needs some adjustment. 10 minutes with a mate and a couple of spanners should fix it.

or that might not be the problem at all... just a thought

back to the original topic, silver RA23 i think it all depends on how you intend to drive the car. As far as brands of clutch go, i think you'll find they are all mostly the same, it just comes down to cost and your own experience with the brand.

What i think you should be looking at are wether you go with a heavy duty kit, a semi (cushion) button clutch, or a brass/ceramic button kit.

All of these will give different levels of performance and driveability, with heavy duty being the best for street (and also the cheapest!!) and a full button clutch can handle the most torque. If your interested in the different types of clutches available, i suggest you have a look at this site http://www.exedy.com.au/products2.as...=sports%20tuff it gives you a bit more detail about what the different types of clutch do or don't do.

But it really all comes down to what you want to spend...

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 18rc turbo
    i agree with pwrn on this one, it doesn't sound like your clutch plate is the problem.

My RA23 had an adjustable 'leg' attached to the piston on the clutch slave cylinder, this controls how much the clutch is released from the flywheel. This 'leg' needs to be readjusted everytime you replace the clutch, just like your drum brakes need to be readjusted when you reshoe them.
    (sorry to hijack the thread)
    I adjusted the 'leg' when I installed the slave cylinder and there was a bit of play when my foot is off the pedal, so that can't be it I guess. I also bled it, so as I said, I need to spend some time under the car...
    Maybe I should check the adjustment of that leg again, as I haven't touched that since I installed the clutch.
    Thanks for your comments, guys!
    Projects: No project cars left ...