Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ra28 EFI fuel setup?

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Default Ra28 EFI fuel setup?

Hey guys.
    Getting the 1G-GTE sorted out in the ra28 at the moment.
    I was wondering if anyone has some pics or tips about how they have set up their fuel systems in their ra28's?
    I was planning a external pump and a surge tank but was wondering where to mount it etc. Does anyone know the regulations for mounting external pumps ect when its more of an in-cabin setup like an ra28, rather than just an in-boot mounting?
    I have read threads on modifying the fuel tank for an internal pump and agree that it would be neater, however i feel that it would be much simpler and less time consuming to do an external setup at the moment. If i have a bit of cash to throw at it down the track a custom tank would be good, however im focussed on getting the engine in and running first.
    I appreciate any positive suggestions.
    Tom

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Ra28 EFI fuel setup?

Tom

Engineers don't seem to like the tank plus pump in the car. Also the pumps are real noisy. People have put them under the bonnet - althougth with a 1ggte there you do seem to be a bit short of room, and there is lots of heat. I think the best place for the tank is under the back of the car. Have a look, there a couple of places it will go - although best on the RHS away from the exhaust, not a lot of room but enough to cope with a prepump a surge tank and a couple of filters and all of the tubing required. I have a TA23 and although I currently have the tank in the boot I intend to fit it under the car in the future (are to have an intank surge tank and pump). Remember to rubber mount fuel pumps.

If you have not already purchased the pumps and tanks I would highly recommend that you investigate the option of having you existing tank modified for an internal surge tank and pump. It is the best option and I am not sure the final cost will be that much great once you take into account high pressure tubing and all the bits required.

It is important that you don't skimp on the wiring for the pump(s). I used 30 amp wiring for the pump switched by a relay at the pump. I also ran a seperate earth lead. The (very) expensive pump that you buy does not like low voltage.

Hope all works out.

Craig

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

thomasbl, my RA28 with 1G-GTE ran a pre pump under the floor, just cut out a section of fuel pipe forward of the lower control arm mount. The surge tank and HP pump was mounted at the back of the LH strut tower in the engine bay. The engineer had zero problems with the set up.

If you need more info, PM me.

cheers Chuck.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I ran a simliar set up in my 28.
    had a lift pump at the tank pumping to a surge and HP pump under the bonnet.

while not engineered this set worked well ,and i had no problems with fuel shortage or surge while racing.

cheers
    Dom

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

my old ra23 had the prepump and surge tank in the boot. The high pressure pump was mounted on the inside side of the chasis rail

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

pics any1? im keen on al this too.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Thanks guys.
    Ill have a look at the amount of space under there tomorrow. What sort of pups have you guys been using? It seems like it would be a fair way to send fuel to the surge tank in the engine bay, do the low pressure pre-pumps hold up to it?
    Cheers for the feedback.
    Tom

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

I had my surge tank in the engine bay mounted on the chassis rail under the AFM and the pumps fixed to the rail. Worked well for the 18R-GEU.

In terms of the lifter pump being in the engine bay, the mechanical pump on the 18R-C does the same thing and works fine.

I tried to look for other options when I did mine and there wasn't any where under the rear that I was going to fit my tank.

But on another track in regards to surge tank size is there a formula for the tank size?

it is possible that you can locate a long shallow tank? I realise that the idea of a surge tank is to keep a fuel supply to the rail, particularly during heavy cornering, acceleration/decceleration etc but if the return line and lifter line are providing more fuel than the engine is consuming, is the depth of the tank critical? would say a litre and a half tank that is 50mm wide 100mm deep and 200mm long (say) work for a street application, with occational use?
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

here is a pic of my system.

it sits where the muffler used to sit under the left rear of the car.

the surge tank lifts out with both pumps and filter attached. plus it has half inch lines to the motor and from tank (not all lines on surge system are 1/2 inch yet as car doesn't need that much fuel so they havent been upgraded yet)....

Stew
    Last edited by Toy77; 16-10-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Where is your exhaust???

boy your quick!!!!!

who needs an exhaust... they are over rated.

it comes out in front of the drivers side rear wheel.

Stew

Is that engineer approved??

The legalities of that are questionable is why I ask, and I'd like to know if it is possible.

yeah mate - fully engineered only 2 months ago.

do a seach - i wrote a detailed thread on it,,, think it was called - engineering the toy

stew

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

This is my setup -

I wouldn't recommend it though having the surge tank in the boot of a RA28. Beautiful tank though made by Yellorolla. Holds around 4 - 5 ltrs of fuel so NO change of surge Evah!

Just its smelly is my main concern. The tank has no leaks.. Can only think its from the pipes.

When I find time i'm going to try and design something to fit under the car. Even if it means cutting into the boot floor a bit and welding a box over the hole to give it more room.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

I have a high pressure electric pump mounted under the RHS chassis rail at the back of my RA23. I modded the pickup to a 12mm pipe with a filter sock at the bottom joined to a half ich hose that runs thru a hole I drilled in the floor of the boot.
    RA23
    1G-GZE