Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OBD Serial Data

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default OBD Serial Data

Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down some info that I think is in the Toyota Technical Education Network documents (T-TEN). http://www.toyota.com/about/tten/multimedia/index.html

Anyone here work at Toyota and can give me any info on T-TEN or where to get the training documents that go with it?

Otherwise I will start emailing every institution over in the states that undertakes T-TEN training

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 25-06-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Default Re: Anyone work at Toyota?

rolla boy does i tihnk from memory but not 100% sure

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1200det's Avatar

What are you wanting to Know ?

I have a few of these technical training manuals

Current Toys
    97 Pajero EVOLUTION
    04 Lexus ES300
    92 Hilux 2wd

I'm trying to uncover information on Toyota ODB serial data. There are various references to it in the documents listed on www.autoshop101.com.
    (http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html)

In particular paragraph one of 48 OBDII#3 - Data Interpretation.pdf (h48.pdf @ http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h48.pdf) says
    "...refer to appendices A & B of this handbook. They provide detailed definitions, specifications, and an explanation of each data parameter available on OBD, ..."

Would it be possible to find out what the handbook that this excerpt is taken from, or even better find Appendices A & B?

Any other information that you could offer me in my search would be most appreciated!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I thought ODB was an open standard used by most manufacturers, and thus should be explicitly defined somewhere on the web? Not that I've actually gone looking mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    I thought ODB was an open standard used by most manufacturers, and thus should be explicitly defined somewhere on the web? Not that I've actually gone looking mind you.
    Big difference between ODB and OBDII (96 ->).

OBDII has load of info around on it. ODB on the other hand...

The ODB standard didn't require serial data output (OBDII does), however Toyota did implement serial data output...

A few notes, it is very slow! 100BAUD! (updates ~1.25seconds), between 14-20 status words, does things like temp sensors, speed, injector pulse width, MAP, TPS etc.

Cheers
    Wilbo

User Conversion King

about time you are doing this

how much will the finished program cost? maybe we could trade in MS65 hub currency
    hello

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 82MKII's Avatar

Wilbo,
    I got excited about this a while ago. After a lot of scouring, I found NOTHING of use on OBD. In the end I figured it will probably be easier to directly measure what I wanted (eg temp sensor, injector pulse width, ...).

Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 82MKII
    Wilbo,
    I got excited about this a while ago. After a lot of scouring, I found NOTHING of use on OBD. In the end I figured it will probably be easier to directly measure what I wanted (eg temp sensor, injector pulse width, ...).

Regards

Peter
    Yep, I do recall that. Did you try to chase up T-TEN docs?

I agree that some good old reverse engineering may be in order, but by finding someone that works at Toyota I maybe able to gain access to a scan tool to send "spoof" data into to sort out what is what easier than on car measurements!

Oh and Brett, I'll be trying and make it open source /free if I can!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Toymods member no 341 Domestic Engineer amichie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down some info that I think is in the Toyota Technical Education Network documents (T-TEN). http://www.toyota.com/about/tten/multimedia/index.html

Anyone here work at Toyota and can give me any info on T-TEN or where to get the training documents that go with it?

Otherwise I will start emailing every institution over in the states that undertakes T-TEN training

Cheers
    Wilbo
    I emailed the contact at autoshop101 asking this exact question without any answer.

I would be very interested if you find out how it is encoded and I would be happy to write a simple PC based program to decode it that I would be happy to give away.

I know my mx83 is equipped with this early obd and it is only about 35 bytes long.

8 bit words but you need to know what each one means.

BTW : From the title of your thread you could not tell its such an interesting topic.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

my stale memory just got jogged

prolly a little off topic, but kinda relevant, i helped a guy some years back with his piece of software for commodores.

the early 1227808 delco ecu's used 160 baud OBD and the later (94 - VR) used a myriad of differently coded ECUs which were 8192. these were OBDII

the 8 bit word stuff i remember this had like a header and a checksum so the core of the word was only 6 bits or something. i'll have a look and see if i can find the correspondance (going back a good 5 years it would be now)

but yeah, change the topic name. very interested in this stuff

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

wilbo, check your PM's

Quote Originally Posted by amichie
    I emailed the contact at autoshop101 asking this exact question without any answer.

I would be very interested if you find out how it is encoded and I would be happy to write a simple PC based program to decode it that I would be happy to give away.

I know my mx83 is equipped with this early obd and it is only about 35 bytes long.

BTW : From the title of your thread you could not tell its such an interesting topic.
    It says on the autoshop101 website that they will only reply to students emails....

Indeed, I'm also happy to write the PC software, but like you say finding the data is the first step.

At this rate I am simply going to send in spoof signals and work it out!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Default Re: ODB Serial Data

Bit of an update...

Got the CRO out last night.

To get serial data output short TE2 to E1 (gnd). Note on my 1jzgte (ex JZZ30) the engine bay diag box does not have TE2 ! (or W !) I have to access these near the ECU on the loom plugs. The serial data output comes out of Vf.

Vf output is TTL (0-5V). I'll whip up a TTL -> RS232 convertor today andd see if I can see the data on the PC...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 82MKII's Avatar

Default Re: ODB Serial Data

Wilbo,
    good luck with it, but looking here http://www.elmelectronics.com/connect.html, it looks like a lot of the OBD data streams aren't straight ttl level rs232. Looks like PWM & other coding is common - hence the reason I went off the idea, seeing as I couldn't find any definitive info about the 1JZ ODB data stream.
    Good luck with it anyway.

Regards

Peter