Thread: electrical probs... or so i think, tech heads please 3t-gte

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default electrical probs... or so i think, tech heads please 3t-gte

heres the problem its a ta 22. croydon rewired the engine about 3months ago its a 3t-gte and its running a T04/T3 turbo and the computer runing the engine is a ems (i think this is the problem) croydon also tuned that, the alternator has been changed a few times so has the regulator. the problem is that after driving for about 30/60mins the car looses alot of power and idles really bad sounds as if its about to stall, i think its electrical because the problem is worse when the lights a turned on, when the lights turned on, on idle the engines rev's drop noticibly (you can hear the rev drop). can some one please help me, and if the computer is the problem would it be worth getting a microtech or will the problem stay. thanks in advance
    WTB: syd. ae86... pm or call me 0424742563

Default Re: electrical probs... or so i think, tech heads please 3t-gte

anyone help please???

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you need to measure your battery voltage (when not running and when running) and also the alternator voltage (when running at idle and when at a few revs, e.g. 2500).

when off, you should be getting ~12v from the battery and at idle (with charge light out) you should be getting ~13V from the alternator.

If that voltage is not lilfting once the engine has started, you alternator is not charging. If the alternator voltage varies with changes in revs, then the regulator is stuffed.

The charge light is going out once the engine is running? and is coming on when the engine is off?

changing the ECU would do nothing to fix an alternator/charging problem (tho it will cure you of having excess cash).

cheers,
    Charles

but the battery doesnt go flat the alternator is charging. could it be theres not enough volts? btw thanks for the input

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

try touch the coils after 30 min and see if they are too hot too touch.

Could be a wrong setting on the ECU causing the coils to get too hot and start to break down after time.

Check igniter too you will know if this is the prob as tyhey will be FN roaching !!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

older EMS computers have a habit of losing their memory, I would ditch the EMS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

I don't think the ems would lose it's memory then magically get it back next time you start the car. It soounds like your problem is directly related to the car being run for a certain amount of time. What changes after your car is running for a while? Well heat build up is one thing. The guy who made the suggestion about the coils could be right, or another problem related to heat.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RPM016T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rob1
    I don't think the ems would lose it's memory then magically get it back next time you start the car. It soounds like your problem is directly related to the car being run for a certain amount of time. What changes after your car is running for a while? Well heat build up is one thing. The guy who made the suggestion about the coils could be right, or another problem related to heat.
    I agree, I'd be checking things that are mechanical or sensors rather than the computer its self. i.e: After an hour, the coolant might be getting too hot, and making computer run leaner. Or as 30psi said, coils may be heating up to much after too long because charge/dwell time is set too high? maybe coils are just on their way out? maybe fuel pump with fckd bearings that maybe start to friction up after an hour ?? Its a long shot, but you get the idea..

One other thing you could do if absolutely necassary and providing your computer is equiped to do it, is hook up your air-con line to either the headlights or a 12V switch. this way engine will pick up revs when it thinks the aircon is on.

Another thing I just though of, check your thermo fans (if you have them) and that they are working fine. Maybe it switches the fans on when it heats up but the fans might be wedged on something and its stalling up the motor. I reckon that'd have to drop the voltage by a fair bit. I dont reckon the electrical system would like it..

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Some good suggestions so far: so heres another

Where did your alternator come from?? you state that youve changed the alternator and regulator a few times each, do i assume you have an external regulator?? If so, what current rating is your alternator?? Could be that you have a stocko alternator on a efi motor, which wont give enough current, and will be running full charge all the time to keep up... this will make it perform poorly after a while when it heats up, and really get killed by lights etc. Perhaps if this is the case, try the Witzl's 85A EA foulcan alternator upgrade.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

if the revs and power dorp when u turn lights on i would say its yr alternator

even if its charging it might still have a prob
    do u change it with 2nd hand alternators
    is it internal or external regulator

fit an new internal one if so

check main wire from batt to fusebox

i have got the shits with ems ecus
    they take so much longer to get working than yr nice and easy microtech
    and the customer has a shit when u chagre them the extra bucks to sort the ems shit out
    anyway its not bout ems or microtech

something is loading up the electrical system

check the voltage at the battery with everything turned on
    eg lights wipers stereo etc

then check voltage at main power to ems when lights etc are on too

this should be atleast 13.5 and if its more than 0.5 to 1v less than battery u have voltage drops in yr system therefore it has not been wired 100%

if u drive the car to me ill have a quick look at it for u

another thing is battery in the boot and did they use good thick power wire

when lights are on and engine is runnin touch thick wire comin off back of alternator

if this get hot from overload not from enigne temp
    then that wire might be too thin

also if u have thermos turn them on and see what the load is

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by RPM016T
    I agree, I'd be checking things that are mechanical or sensors rather than the computer its self. i.e: After an hour, the coolant might be getting too hot, and making computer run leaner. Or as 30psi said, coils may be heating up to much after too long because charge/dwell time is set too high? maybe coils are just on their way out? maybe fuel pump with fckd bearings that maybe start to friction up after an hour ?? Its a long shot, but you get the idea..

One other thing you could do if absolutely necassary and providing your computer is equiped to do it, is hook up your air-con line to either the headlights or a 12V switch. this way engine will pick up revs when it thinks the aircon is on.

Another thing I just though of, check your thermo fans (if you have them) and that they are working fine. Maybe it switches the fans on when it heats up but the fans might be wedged on something and its stalling up the motor. I reckon that'd have to drop the voltage by a fair bit. I dont reckon the electrical system would like it..
    I wasn't saying that it would magically regain it's tune. I had a EMS Q1-4 and it would completely lose its tune.