Thread: 4AGZE or 4AGE in my TA22?

1JZ FTW! Domestic Engineer chrisrundell69's Avatar

Default 4AGZE or 4AGE in my TA22?

ok ive been looking round for bitta help on this been talking to few people about it and got basics down. ive been told the 4AGZE can handle more boost as its stronger and etc BUT also been told it is set-up for FWD how hard is it change over to RWD. and now with the 4AGE i know they come in RWD with the sprinters and that but how much less power will these have or will it have same power just not handle as much boost or sumthing? and also another thing sum1 has told me although they were sure they said that the standard celica t50 gearbo would bolt on is this true? im still young so still learning few things so take it easy on me if some of this sounds stupid or already been asked. i tryed to look around as much as i could before i posted this but didnt find wat i needed.
    PS: i plan to turbo it when i put it in.

ditty man Grease Monkey

Default Re: 4AGZE or 4AGE in my TA22?

get a GZE for sure, but be sure you get one from the AE92 Levin as the pistons are thicker than the ones off the AE101 Levin, AE101 use the same size rods as 20v so it would be more suited for a turbo environment. eg.

someone correct me if i am wrong but couldnt you use a RWD 4AGE 16V NA box?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Hi,
    I've put a 4AGZE (AW11) in my TA22, and it is not the most difficult swap. There are some fiddly bits though.

If you want power, skip the 4AGE, and put the 4AGZE in (no flaming please).

The T50 fits straight on the current g'box crossmember, but in a slightly different location. I used a Sprinter T50 for the conversion. I would use a W55-58 for the conversion though. You'll need a different bellhousing than what comes on the 4AG/4ac though.

The strengths of the different 4AGZE models are well documented.

If your serious, send me a PM and I'll give you some more info. I don't have access to my computer at the moment (in Switzerland), so you'd have to wait till the 26th of June.

Look on the old forums for moo4AGZETA22 (me), I posted a bit about this swap on there.

Cheers

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Go the GZE and like AE101lev says be sure to get a AE92 version they have all the goodies !!! oil squirters / beefier ETC

Good get extractors or just a RWD 4age exhaust manifold to convert your exhaust.

cheers guys

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

i'd recommend a w5x box - especially if you're going to go turbo as the poor old T50 will give up after a while of use. remember this is dependent on how you drive - some people do have success with them, however, due to the extra power/torque of the GZE (esp turboed) it will break...

the actual fitment is not hard. when i fitted my 4AGE in my TA22 i used the sprinter passenger side mount cut down and spaced off the block a little and a 2T mount on the drivers side also modified to suit.

i used ford cortina "pads" as the actual vulcanised mounts with mine, and, yes I used a T50 (mine was a 100kw motor) which was a great gearbox - which bolted up to the last 2 rear bolts under the floor on the stock crossmember with no modifications. i then had a custom 3" tailshaft single piece made with holden unis.

i'll phoo my mounts and post em up for you to see as i've promised i would do before for so many other folks.

cheers

here is the passenger side one
    the drivers side one i can't find...(yet)

thanks for that mate much appreciated. so basically all i need is a 4AGZE preferably an AE92 version and get a 4AGE exhaust manifold and then a W55-58 gearbox and it all should work thereotically? my uncles making all the engine mount and stuff as he is a steel engineer and also a half decent mechanic so should be all ok with gettin the engine in and stuff.

good stuff man
    the RWD 4AGE exhaust manifold is what you want ' although with my mounts it fouled on the k frame - i made custom extractors up with my mate - which - given your supercharging would be a better idea yeah.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Yep, extractors...unless you plan to turbo, they'd be a bit of a waste. Maybe turbo it straight off? Not too hard...cheap T25, Ebay manifold, you'd be laughing Saves doing piping and exhaust twice. I think the supercharger would be better anyways, but that's just me. Depends how much power and response you want. To use the W5x series box, you'll need an adaptor bellhousing, there was one for sale on here a while ago.

RM.

i'll probably just leave it supercharged for a year or so and then upgrade to a decent turbo and that afterwards. the t50 would be alright while i am not running major power and not "thrashing" the car wouldnt it. i have 2 of them thats the only reason why id use it over a W5x box. thatnks for all the helps guys appreciate it

Can I Fondle Your Grease Monkey

You might as well go for the W5x box since your t50 will probably need a 4age bellhousing (unless its from the rwd ae86). Could be just me but i like doing things once and doing it properly.