Thread: 4age sohc - to match race rules - advice please

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4age sohc - to match race rules - advice please

We are looking for a good (1600 sohc 8V) race motor for a specific oval class. It is a short track 2nd gear circuit. It has to be 1600 8v (class rules). You may modify / mix components. I was wondering about the 4age with a 4ac head. I appreciate the head will have to be worked and we will fit EMS and FI. I would think the 4age engine with oil squirters as we would try and get the CR as high as possible maybe 14 or 16:1 if possible. We will run race fuel. That little 4AGE motor just loves to rev!

We were considering the 2tg or even a 3TGTE head (they do not specify the number of cams - yet!!) but 2tg's and 3TGTE's are like hens teeth here - but plenty 4AGE's and all the trick bits.

Maybe you think we might be better off with an Opel or VW 1600 8V (also lots of "stuff" available) modified motor?
    The advice from you guys who have the experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by sneaky pete; 19-11-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default Re: 4age sohc - to match race rules - advice please

there are probably other 8v sohc engines with more aftermarket support than a 4AC head, which is what might swing things

also a 2tg wont work as it is a twincam, even though it runs an 8v head. you would need a 2T head if you went that path
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

also a 2tg wont work as it is a twincam, even though it runs an 8v head. you would need a 2T head if you went that path[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.
    As the rules are at the moment they specify "1660 (max)cc and only 8 valves". ie They do not exclude "twin cam". So we might be able to race a hard to source 2TG initially, but think they could amend the rules to exclude "twin cam 8V's". With regard to the 4AC it is a non crossflow / U head. Is this going to be of concern / a limiting factor?. We can have the head ported, flowed and polished professionally, but is it worth all the trouble?

Is there any other option anyone can think of on 4AGE or another suggestion?

It is a glassfibre body, space frame, Wilwood brakes, rwd w58 box and locked M75 diff.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

ah ok i thought by your thread title that the engine needed to be sohc.

non crossflow heads are definitely not ideal, and 2TGs can be made to punch out a decent amount of power. I would go for the 2TG if it were me
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

I assume the 1660cc capacity applies to as run, rather than as manufactured condition.
    In this case have you considered putting together something based in the toyota R series family.
    A toyota 9R (1500cc 8v 82kw stnd) would be a perfect base, but good luck finding one!
    A more easily found combo would be a 12R block with an 18RG head.
    The biggest issues I can forsee would be clearance for the inlet valve(89mm bore v 80.5) and sorting out the cam drive(shouldn't be too hard).
    If you wanted to spend money a custom 66mm short stroke crank and 89mm bore piston would give you the revs to make pretty impressive numbers.
    Keep us posted on what you do!
    Last edited by celicapain; 28-11-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Thanks for the info Celicapain. Yes you can put any combination together even if not from the same manufacturer as long as it is 8v and 1660 max. Will definitely have a look at your suggestion. I think it all depends on availability of the components.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

If you want a 4AC head I'd consider just using a whole 4AC motor. I've heard the head design is pretty average, but you could surely improve it somewhat.

The only other thing that springs to mind for me is the Datsun L16. Rally boys love the L series motors and can get some big numbers out of them, so there should be good support.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.