Thread: 7AGE dies when hot

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 7AGE dies when hot

Hi All,

I haven't been on these forums for an eternity but I'm hoping somebody can help me.

I've got a 7AGE with a bigport head, silvertop throttle bodies and mild cams in an AE86.
    It is running an Adaptronic e420c with a Coil on Plug setup from what I recall as being from a Toyota Echo.
    The cam angle sensor is a modified 4AGE distributor in a 24 + 1 setup (the other three teeth were ground off).

Other than occasionally being reluctant to start the engine has been running quite well. There is no idle control so it struggles a bit with multiple electrical loads but is usually okay.

The other day I got caught in traffic and it became quite hot but the thermofans managed the engine temperature. After quite a while of being in the traffic it started to struggle to idle (spluttering) and eventually died. I could start it again but couldn't get it to idle. Once it had cooled down it started and ran fine for a short period of time.
    The next day I started it and it ran fine until it got up to temperature and started spluttering before it died again.

I've plugged a PC into the Adaptronic and logged the moment where it dies but everything appears to be okay as far as I can tell.

Before I start trying to hunt for another distributor and/or coils does anybody have any thoughts on what else could be causing this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Blake

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default Re: 7AGE dies when hot

do you run a walbro 255 fuel pump by any chance?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 7AGE dies when hot

Thanks for your reply.

It has a cube style lift pump filling a small surge tank and an old VL Commodore spec high pressure pump.