Thread: Suggestions on conversions for my 1984 Hilux

Forum Member

Question Suggestions on conversions for my 1984 Hilux

Hi All,

I am wanting some information on what would be a good option for a new motor for my 1984 Hilux it currently has a 3y motor manual gear box and is petrol

I am thinking about putting a 6 in it but all thie information i can find on google is people using commodore motors
    and all the running gear I'm not a Holden person so am wanting other options

I have done a bit of research and discovered that the Holden VR motor seems to be the easiest to do the conversion with.
    I have limited mechanical experience is this something I should be taking on

It was suggested to me by a mechanic to use a cerrisder motor but once again they are not that easy to find or parts
    for them
    Also would like to know how big a motor I can go before i have to get an engineers certificate as not really wanting to
    go down that route, I am in Victoria so i realize there may be some differences between NSW and Vic,

Sorry for all the Questions Just not finding Alot of info on the net or anyone willing to guide me here in vic

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Suggestions on conversions for my 1984 Hilux

Vr is a Holden yes? Lol
    I am about to put a vz 5.7 in my 98 hilux. I couldn't imagine it would be too much difference between any engine you choose.
    As far as skills go, the more you do the cheaper it will be. Anyone with enough skills to swing a spanner and the willingness to ponder and work through the challenges should be able to handle the swap themselves, imo.

I toyed with many of engine before settling with the ls1. Original purchase price, replacement parts price, fuel economy, torque and size were the decision makers for me, that said we're all after different things.

As far as engine capacity goes, multiply your tare weight (I believe, it should be around 1650) by 5 and that will give you max cc's for a NA engine.
    You will be pleasantly surprised.

Don't go through the hassle of the swap not putting in what you really want because you may regret you didn't spend just a bit more back when you could have.

Anyway that's my $0.02

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

"don't build what you can buy"

if you dont have much mechanical skill/arent confident in doing the work yourself, there are plenty of hiluxes out there with engine conversions, especially v8 conversions. buy one and sell yours
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I second trdee's thoughts. I've been looking for a ute in Victoria recently and several converted Hiluxes have turned up (Gumtree and Carsales) in general searches. Holden 3.8 V6s seem to be popular, and seem to be roughly the same price as standard Hiluxes. If you go looking I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Buying something already done is much faster and cheaper, but on the other hand if you want a project (which will cost more and take longer than expected) so you can get your hands dirty and learn a bunch then don't let us talk you out of doing it yourself.

Hen

PS, no idea what a Cerrisder is. Could he have meant an Aristo? They're 2JZ turbo, which is the perfect conversion motor for every car, truck or motorbike ever built.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Maybe he means cressida??

Any engine not factory fitted requires a engeneering certificate.

Depends what your after? You could maybe get hold of a 4y motor and give it a quick freshen up, put a weber carb on, mild cam and have it properly tuned.

The commodore v6 has been fairly popular conversion. But personally i would much much rather a 3y with a blown head gasket over one of these. They are pathetic lumps of crap and i wouldnt have one if you paid me to take it.

2jzge is fairly cheap, make good power stock.

Forum Member

I have my rn41 for sale with a 308 and 5 speed if you are interested rebuilt only needs minor finishing like door rubbers and new carpet asking $5000

Forum Member

Yeah i did mean Cressida just a spelling error sorry for the confusion

with a 4 y would i need a engineering certificate ?
    I am really not keen on a Holden V6 Motor so am really liking your suggestion of the 4y motor, Might have a look into that
    thanks for the Idea

and i realize that it would be much cheaper to buy one already done but this is a project for me and my 14 yr old son to do and i figure if I'm going to pour way to much money into something it may as well be something we can do together

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Sounds like will be great to do with your son.
    As far as engineering goes I think it is any engine that came from that family (hilux) and as long as not 10% more increase in displacement or power you don't need to engineer it. Don't quote me but is something along those lines.
    I am about to pull my 3rz and w series gearbox out next week.
    Has 100k since reco, runs great, never had a problem with it and I won't be needing it anymore.
    Something to think about.

I am heading down your way for a bucks in next few weeks of that helps.