Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seats to fit a TA22 Celica

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Seats to fit a TA22 Celica

Hi

Im having a bit of trouble with my Celica seats and have no idea where to start other then asking here to see if anyone can answer my question.

I have been restoring my TA22 for the last 12 months and i just got rego on it. I drove the car for 5 minutes and almost couldn't walk afterwords due to the bad Celica seats and sustaining a serious back injury some years ago. I know i could just replace the seats or get some custom fitted but the catch is that i am very tall and my head scrapes the roof with the stock that seats almost sagging to the floor. This means i need to find some seats that do not raise the seating height will fit in a TA22 Celica and it would also be most perforable if they could roll back a bit more on the rails. But most of all they need to have good back support.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated as its looking like this is a catch 22 and i might need to sell after all the hard work i just put in. If it comes down to it i would consider getting something made up from scratch but dont know if this is even possible.

Cheers

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

Default Re: Seats to fit a TA22 Celica

You must be really tall. I'm 6"1 and I had a lot of room in my 22, the normal choice is always the prelude or gt4 seats, I'm not sure what thy are like for back support though. Have you thought about mounting the seat to the floor instead of on top of the rib that goes across the floor, that should also move you back a few inches.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Quote Originally Posted by lilcrash View Post
    You must be really tall. I'm 6"1 and I had a lot of room in my 22, the normal choice is always the prelude or gt4 seats, I'm not sure what thy are like for back support though. Have you thought about mounting the seat to the floor instead of on top of the rib that goes across the floor, that should also move you back a few inches.
    Thanks mate, yeah 6"3, but i have to sit up straight so my head scrapes the roof. what modle prelude? I will look into mounting on the floor, but that may not pass engineering. Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

Forum Member Grease Monkey

You can also modify 240z or 260z seats also which are very light, compact and easy to adjust

The ones above are rare of course but theres also the rx7 s6 and mx5 seats are very nice and similar to celica and 240z in form factor, ride height and easily accomodate tall peeps

Corona seats can also fit from a 78-80

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yea I had rx7 s3 I think in my ke35, best seats ever,msemi bucket with the slide option for the rear seats

Forum Member

**Thread Hijack** Would Honda Integra seats fit as I have a pair of them sitting in the shed from my missus old car?

Forum Member

I would recommend using SW20 MR2 seats, they have adjustable lumber support and also have "side wings" on the base which are adjustable as well.

The profile of the seat itself is very similar to the original Ta22 seat, if you modify the rails accordingly you could get them to seat a little lower, although as lilcrash mentioned mounting the seats directly to the floor, which could work very well for your situation, but if your trying to avoid passing engineering may not be the easiest option. You could also cut the original mounts from the floor and move them back "x" amount to your desire leg length to pedals.

Forum Member

Hey Guys im also 6"3 and fit fine in my TA22 with the original seats.
    Ive been thinking of putting in a set of drift blade seats from autobahn but am not sure if it will raise the seating level.
    If anyone has experience with these seats please let us know??
    Thanks

Oil Gorilla & Backyard Mechanic jb_22's Avatar

I'm just over 6' and have sat in two different TA22s - one with prelude seats, one with SW20 MR2 seats. Prelude seats my head was pushing against the roof lining and could not see the top half of the tacho/speedo cuz of the steering wheel. SW20 MR2 seats were spot on - no roof touchy, adjustable side and lumber.. I had a quick gander and they were mounted with the SW20 rails, and it looked like two holes were drilled in the floorpan for bolts, but no welding involved.

I've also sat in all the Autobarn/Supercrap variety seats and the MR2 comes out on top still.. Wouldn't have a clue how they are height-wise in a TA22.

I've got some old-school recaro fishnets in mine

Custom mounted on rails that sit lower than snake sh!t
    I've always found these to be a nice balance between support and comfort.. but then i'm 5'10 lol
    and finding a pair in good condition can be difficult to say the least

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Those style of seats are recaro LS, you can get them from yahoo japan relatively cheaply if you look long/hard enough.
    Go for an older set as new seats in classics look terrible imho, especially any autotechnica/cheap copy seats. Those type of seats are simply too big in these cars.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I have issues with the standard seats in my RA23. I can feel a metal bar in my lower back, I do have them reclined a bit just so I fit

Old School Fan

I ended up buying an MR2 SW20 seat for my TA22, i will let you know how they mount and how much work it takes, any mods required ect. Thanks everyone for all your help.
    Cheers