Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAV 4 1994 3SGTE conversion advice

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question RAV 4 1994 3SGTE conversion advice

Hi guys, been a long time member and toyota owner (1985 AE86, 1993 Supra RZ, 1994 RAV4 3 door, 1998 Toyota Townace) but had to take a break from my "toys" coz of having a couple of kids. I still own the van and drive it every day for work. Sadly don't have the ae86 or supra any longer but I kept the RAV 4 :-)

Sob story finished, the reason I'm here is coz I want to dust off the RAV and chuck a 3sgte in it.

Over the next few months I hope to get this project near completion or at least almost there. I have spent many nights trying to find info on the conversion and have found a few good articles or posts however nothing very detailed or step-by-step.

The purpose of this conversion is for fun but it has to be legal (i.e. engineered to get it registered if needed) as it would be driven every other day.
    I wish to do as much as I can myself if I can but I need some advice before I start spending money on parts. I want to know if I can actually get it engineered (or if I need to at all) and if so, will installing an imported engine or local delivered one matter? Does it simply come down to emissions no matter where the engine came from?

Anyway, aside from my legal/engineering issue I would really appreciate it if someone knows of a good guide for this conversion using one of the later st215 series engines from a Caldina etc. Even if you can recommend places to buy the parts I need in or around Melbourne (but anywhere in Australia should work too).

I apologise for any noob questions and if this post is in the wrong place then please move it to the right section.

Here's a pic of the poor thing just sitting collection dust. Don't let the dirt fool you, its in great condition lol. And no, its not staying that colour :-P
    Last edited by partaaa; 14-03-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Default Re: RAV 4 1994 3SGTE conversion advice

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

what motor and trans is in there now? (im not familiar with Rav's).
    are you planning a stock swap or are you looking at upgrades aswell? if so what upgrades?
    ST215's are a good base, apart from the rods they are the best 3sgte. a stock one with down pipe and a squeak more boost should make 220awhp safely.

if you want more you maybe best buying a 5sfe block and 3sge head and going down MWP's path with a 5sgte. depends on goals.

as always set a budget and then base your goals of your budget. (trust me a running 230awhp car is better than a broken 300awhp car....)
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

Quote Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
    what motor and trans is in there now? (im not familiar with Rav's).
    are you planning a stock swap or are you looking at upgrades aswell? if so what upgrades?
    ST215's are a good base, apart from the rods they are the best 3sgte. a stock one with down pipe and a squeak more boost should make 220awhp safely.

if you want more you maybe best buying a 5sfe block and 3sge head and going down MWP's path with a 5sgte. depends on goals.

as always set a budget and then base your goals of your budget. (trust me a running 230awhp car is better than a broken 300awhp car....)
    There is a factory fitted 3sfe in there at the moment. The goal is actually a really fun street car and may see the track a little. I'm quit happy with around 220 - 230whp to be honest. Might (probably will) build it for more later but for now I'm happy to get that.
    I've never seen this 5sfe block and 3sge head build but it sounds like too much of a headache for me. I'm sure it's fun when finished but when pulling apart a motor and putting back together, in my experience it's never 100%. I'm keen to see this done though so if you have a link that'd be great
    EDIT: it's a manual and it's staying manual :-D
    Last edited by partaaa; 14-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Easy st215! Exhaust boost controller done!!
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

Quote Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
    Easy st215! Exhaust boost controller done!!
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too lol
    Hey I just realized there is a newer st246 or 4th Gen 3sgte. Should be same thing as far as swapping is concerned?
    Oh boy do I need help :-P

I havnt heard much about the 246 other than its rare if not impossible to get a manual, so you will likely need to trick the ecu some how.
    apart from the rods and lack of VVT I still think the 215 is the best motor especially for what you want.

Yep forgot about the fact I need to find a manual if anything for the ecu. Having trouble sourcing an engine at all tbh. Where the hell do I find one? Lol

search around importers there are a few in Brisbane that I know off but I dare say there would be a few in Melbourne. could likely ask them to bring one in for you

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have a beams 3sge red top out of a celica to put in my 2 door rav in the same colour as yours. I want to replace a few things like gaskets and water pump etc beforehand. I also want to go through the gearbox and transfer case. It has an auto ecu and will run fine. I hope to find a manual ecu later. The auto is slightly detuned.

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

With late engines just make sure they dont have immobilizer built in with the engine ecu. Can cause extra headaches setting up a key reader and retro fitting a key fob etc.

Disregard this post ��

Quote Originally Posted by Shakotan_Aaron View Post
    With late engines just make sure they dont have immobilizer built in with the engine ecu. Can cause extra headaches setting up a key reader and retro fitting a key fob etc.
    That is a great point you make. What a headache that would be... But how on earth do you find that out? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
    I have a beams 3sge red top out of a celica to put in my 2 door rav in the same colour as yours. I want to replace a few things like gaskets and water pump etc beforehand. I also want to go through the gearbox and transfer case. It has an auto ecu and will run fine. I hope to find a manual ecu later. The auto is slightly detuned.
    Oh that's sick!
    Are you saying I can use the auto 3sgte ECU for my conversion without any problems? I havnt done a conversion before but I assumed the ecu controls some aspects of the transmission duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
    Oh that's sick!
    Are you saying I can use the auto 3sgte ECU for my conversion without any problems? I havnt done a conversion before but I assumed the ecu controls some aspects of the transmission duties