Thread: 73 celica with 3sge rs200 beams a/t engine

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 73 celica with 3sge rs200 beams a/t engine

hey guys,

I have swapped an altezza 3sge beams auto engine in my 73 celica. I know the engine and the auto gear has tiptronic however at the time of the swap i had a normal gear assembly without the tiptronic shifting option. My mechanic and ECU guy hasnt worked on a project with tiptronic before and so they cant figure out how the tiptronic can be setup in my case. I now have a mercedez c180 gear assembly with the option of up and down shifting. Does anyone know how the tiptronic can be activated? Is there any wiring on the ecu related to tiptronic? the engine was tuned and worked fine on the automatic assembly i used before. Please let me know how i can help my team get the tiptronic going.

Thanks

Default Re: 73 celica with 3sge rs200 beams a/t engine

bump...help anyone?

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

At a guess there is a factory computer that controls the triptronic that is separate from the ecu? are you running factory ECU or aftermarket?

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica View Post
    At a guess there is a factory computer that controls the triptronic that is separate from the ecu? are you running factory ECU or aftermarket?

Cheers
    Simon
    Thanks for the reply simon. Im using a factory ECU. Thats the only computer i got with the engine and transmisson. Someone said there is a gear controller for the tiptronic part. Did the rs200 auto altezza have another computer that controls the gear? this is the gear assembly ill be using.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Assuming that the Engine computer is for the A/T version of the 3SGE, the Altezza had buttons on the steering wheel for the "Triptronic" not on the gear selector.

You best bet would be to see if there is a pinout on the "Plug C" middle plug of the 5 on the ECU that is for gear up and gear down. As the steering wheel buttons are simply a button, I would assume that there are wires from the steering column to the Computer that controls the shifting, weather that be the main ECU. If your shifter fits and properly operates the gearbox itself, then the + & - may have buttons in there that just need to be wired in.

See if you can get google to find you a good wiring diagram.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica View Post
    Assuming that the Engine computer is for the A/T version of the 3SGE, the Altezza had buttons on the steering wheel for the "Triptronic" not on the gear selector.

You best bet would be to see if there is a pinout on the "Plug C" middle plug of the 5 on the ECU that is for gear up and gear down. As the steering wheel buttons are simply a button, I would assume that there are wires from the steering column to the Computer that controls the shifting, weather that be the main ECU. If your shifter fits and properly operates the gearbox itself, then the + & - may have buttons in there that just need to be wired in.

See if you can get google to find you a good wiring diagram.

Cheers
    Simon
    sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the reply. for now im sticking to just the automatic till i find some technical assistance which is very rare where im from. auto gear is working great but would have loved to get manual shifting aswell.