Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX32 overhaul

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default MX32 overhaul

Hi guys,

i have an mx32 that has a manual 1jz setup going in, so the poor E series diff is going to break.

i am aware of the tarago diff conversion, but i have a rn90 2wd hilux diff lying around.
    the G code centre will handle all the abuse i'm going to throw at it (which is a lot), so i have a few quesyions before i go ahead:

i know the hilux diff is 1410mm from face to face, i am told the mx32 is 1400? can ayone confirm this? car isnt at my house so i cant measure right now.

i am also going to try s13 coils and spindle with 5 stud hubs which will make the whole car 5 stud. anyone on here done this sort of front end conversion and what did you use? there seems to be a million ways to do it. i am aware there is other ways (by using toyota parts) to do it, but for the price and availability of nissan parts i would be silly to not consider it.

and last but not least, pitman arm steering sucks. any known rack steering crossmembers fit? hours of research has turned up not a lot except a t140 corona one might.

this car is going to be abused constantly so i need it to hold up a bit better

any info would be great

Default Re: MX32 overhaul

nobody i guess.

so looks like the steering box has to go as im 99% sure the 6boost mani will fowl on it.
    anyone have any data to show measurements etc of other cars?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I'm fairly sure the diff is 1410mm wide, I put a Volvo diff in my wagon and it is 20mm narrower, I believe 1390. So the hilux diff will be spot on.

Steering is a bit trickier, I've been looking into r&p conversion lately.
    I've found that the narrowest and most common toyota rack is an ae70, ke70 or ae86 rack ( available both power and manual) which is still wider than the lca mounts, so I'm planning a custom crossmember to move the lca mounts outboard to suit, and also up to adjust roll centre (over what typical roll centre adjusters can provide).
    That's really about as far as I've gone, besides collecting all the parts.

As for the Nissan struts, no idea, but I've heard the geometry is pretty hard to get right.

thanks for the info!

looks like the slop-box can stay for now as the 6boob manifold fit! (just)
    by my measurements a x7 crossmember should fit with fairly minimal mods, and will still use the same engine mounts too (bonus!)
    the x7 rack should be ok too.

the nissan front end has been done to death on x7 so cant be too hard as their front ends are very similar.
    we have an x32 "experimant car" which makes life easy with fabbing stuff up.

will put pics up if i make any good progress, but heres the engine bay so far

20150620_111801s.jpg

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Looking good, GL with diff options, i'm in same boat.

for rack and pinion.. get your self a centre pivot rack. make a bracket that bolt to the rack and then has holes for your tie rods to bolt to in their original poisition.
    centre pivot racks come in tons of german cars and daewoos.
    Moving controls arm mounts out will involve alot of research by you in understanding how it will affects your steering and suspension geometry.

never thought of using a CP steering rack, might have to check them out if the x7 crossmember is not a viable option.

gino_xl - diff swap should be relativley easy just need to get some new 4 link brackets (off the shelf ones should work fine) and get the tail shaft modded (bigger flange)

Oh diff is 1410mm same as the hilux you have if memory serves me, the Volvo diff I run is 1390 and gives me 10mm more room each side.

I did look at cp racks but decided the curve in the crossmember meant the rack has to be mounted too far back from the lcas, risking bind and adversely affecting ackerman, ideally you want the rack a little forward of the steering arm ends so at mid lock the tie rod is straight/halfway through its travel.

The mx73 crossmember is approx 70mm wider at the chassis mount points and the lca mounts around 170mm wider, so you'll need some pretty short lcas. But that might tie in with the nissan bits?

Keep us updated on which way you go.

hmm interesting. if its 170mm wider, thats a LOT, even if i did get shorter LCA's it would screw with the geometry heaps and probly get really bad bump steer.

ill do some measuring this weekend if i get time (moving house at the moment so pretty busy)

the engine x member has nothing to do with the centre pivot. u mount the rack to your chassis rails or a x member u fabricate placing it inline with the original position of the draglink. i Have a mx32 here at my shop and i dont see there being many problems with this setup.

Absolutely do you're own measuring, I usually mess something up along the way.

I understand how the cp racks mount, and with standard steering arms it's a pretty good option, I'm running shorter steering arms and need the rack further forward than the crossmember would alow. Although a fast enough rack would alow longer/standard length steering arms... I might have to look into them again.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Just do AE86/KE70 Hybrid if you want manual steering (because you can get quick racks) or MX73. seems like the easy options just remove mounts from old member and weld to new cross member.

Rear end i would go Hilux, works for many of the drag boys no point going IRS in it if you want power, may as well stick to what works.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

cheers Rob,

yeah hilux rear is the way to go. fuck screwing around doing an irs swap on that!

when i get 2 seconds to scratch my ass ill do some measuring of the front ends.

cheers Rob,

yeah hilux rear is the way to go. fuck screwing around doing an irs swap on that!

when i get 2 seconds to scratch my ass ill do some measuring of the front ends.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

For the CP racks, look at the Camira as well. Should be pretty easy to find a busted Camira at the wreckers, and the rebuild kits are cheap and readily available. Looking at this option for when I put the 1UZ into my Crown.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.