Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharge 18RG

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Supercharge 18RG

So I'm actually thinking about wacking on an SC14 to my RG. I dont wanna stuff around with EFI so what would be needed exactly? Could I get away with using the solex's or should I use a different carby? I'm not looking for mega performance, Just a bit more poke.
    Also with the internals, They are 9.7 comp pistons, Should I get a thicker headgasket or is a stock one on low boost fine? How much boost can it handle?
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharge 18RG

You should see if you can dig up any info on the Bluewire(?) Celica. It was at AJD a few years ago, runs an SC14 and EFI. I reckon it'd be almost 10 years since it was built but there should still be some info around.

Carbs + Forced induction on an 18RG will likely be more of a prick to set up than a basic EFI setup, if you've got an efi manifold sitting in your collection I'd strongly recommend utilizing it along with a fairly basic ecu.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Yeah I'm actually mates with Shaun (Bluewire), We went to ADJ together in 2014.

I've asked him but he doesn't know much about it, He had someone else build it for him...
    I don't have an EFI manifold unfortunately.
    The price of getting it tuned was kinda a turn off too... My thinking was if I have to pay a lot to get EFI tuned to supercharge I may as well go turbo instead. I just thought an SC14 pumping into the carbies or even a single carby would work fine.
    Too many cars

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I have a set of 8.7cr 0.50mm os rg pistons I'm thinking of selling... More suited to forced induction I think, they break piston rings and lands even being n/a.
    Or even try find a set of 8.3's but I doubt you will have much luck finding second hand pistons as last time I tried it was custom job or nothing.

I think I read on the solex info page they are good till around 10psi with the correct jets, also remember something about the ventures coming loose on boost.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Forget the solexes and run a larger webber or a some other carb on the inlet to the blower? No issues with boost pressure on carbs and uses fuel to help cool the blower charge as well?
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

I have a few sets of pistons around, 8.7's and 8.2's, but don't wanna buy different rings, I've already got the rings for the 9.7's here.
    I thought a large Weber or Holley carby. I can weld up a manifold.
    So could I do a suck through setup with the carby before the Supercharger? I wouldn't wanna run much boost, I just want a little more power out of the old RG without spending a fortune, I figure I can tune carbies easy enough. I also have a 1GGTE powered RA40 project so that's the one I'll spend a lot of money on, This I just want a little faster.
    Too many cars

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Solexes take boost with a few simple mods. E85 and it'll go pretty good. BOV needed between SC and and carbs.

It'll scream like a bitch BTW so I hope you are looking to attract attention?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Well I'm hoping to keep the original clutch pulley on it so I can turn the SC off if I get pulled over :/ Dunno how well that would work, Car would run like shit but it's just to keep it quite in some situations. My Celica's get too much attention anyways
    I actually though about using SU's, I have a few lying around and because they work off of vacuum they can take boost without any mods. I didn't think you had to run a BOV with SC?
    Too many cars

You need to bleed off boost with closed throttle as the SC is still spinning. With no throttle pre SC its running at full efficient the whole time. If you are using the clutch you can turn it off for cruise, but rapid throttle transition, eg gear changes, you need to bleed the boost off. It's the same issue centrifugal SC setups face.

I doubt SUs will take boost? I've seen plenty of turbo carby setup and not once seen SUs as a blow thru setup? Plenty as a draw thru.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

honestly drop the carbs, go get manifold with the injectors in it, cut it in half, weld together, job done. 18rg will run off the 4age comp.
    Right now I'm running a VL commodore turbo (Rb) inline pump on my 81 hilux, makes 40psi @ the rail.

(I cant remember what one we used but if you are looking into this idea I can pull up the pics and ask my mate what one it was, I remember it was off a front wheel drive car, 2000 area)
    Ran better then it even did with the solex's but that might have been 40 years of crap in them

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    You need to bleed off boost with closed throttle as the SC is still spinning. With no throttle pre SC its running at full efficient the whole time. If you are using the clutch you can turn it off for cruise, but rapid throttle transition, eg gear changes, you need to bleed the boost off. It's the same issue centrifugal SC setups face.

I doubt SUs will take boost? I've seen plenty of turbo carby setup and not once seen SUs as a blow thru setup? Plenty as a draw thru.
    Yeah SU's take boost fine, I was told by the owner of PT performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbeh View Post
    honestly drop the carbs, go get manifold with the injectors in it, cut it in half, weld together, job done. 18rg will run off the 4age comp.
    Right now I'm running a VL commodore turbo (Rb) inline pump on my 81 hilux, makes 40psi @ the rail.

(I cant remember what one we used but if you are looking into this idea I can pull up the pics and ask my mate what one it was, I remember it was off a front wheel drive car, 2000 area)
    Ran better then it even did with the solex's but that might have been 40 years of crap in them
    I don't want EFI... I've had 18RGEU's before but I don't wanna stuff around with EFI and spend big money on it just yet... this is literally on the cheap for a little bit of fun. I have my 1GGTE's and my NA 18RG to blow the Dollars on...
    Too many cars

SUs will need mods, bet on it. Solexes were used by lotus on a blow thru turbo. It's just a simple kit required.....everything is there for the solexes and a way better carby than a dirty SU
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    SUs will need mods, bet on it. Solexes were used by lotus on a blow thru turbo. It's just a simple kit required.....everything is there for the solexes and a way better carby than a dirty SU
    The first Esprit Turbos used turbo spec DHLA Dellortos.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Any idea what mods are involved for using the solex's? Would make life easier as I wouldn't have to weld up a manifold
    Too many cars

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusEstevez View Post
    Any idea what mods are involved for using the solex's? Would make life easier as I wouldn't have to weld up a manifold
    The shaft seals have to be able to handle the internal pressure rather than just vacuum.
    The float chamber has to be pressurised at the same time the plenum chamber is pressurised.
    The floats have to able to withstand the pressure inside the float chambers.
    You'll need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that increases fuel pressure to the carbies as boost pressure builds. Base fuel pressure will still be the typical carby fuel pressure. And also a fuel pump that can work at the higher pressures the system will experience when under boost.
    Maybe larger needle and seat to so the carbs can get all the fuel they need.
    Then it's jets and emulsion tube tuning.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.