Thread: LS400 “Boss” kit

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default LS400 “Boss” kit

Just after some info on what steering wheel boss kit I need to order for my LS400. A few places have said Soarer, but weren’t 100% sure.

My car had cruise control, but it has been disconnected, and won’t be re connected so it’s not a concern about needing a boss to suit the cruise switch.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Josh
    Past: 490rwhp super happy fun R32.
    Now: super happy slow LS400.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default Re: LS400 “Boss” kit

Wouldn't it have SRS Bags as well? If so then removing them would be vey illegal.

It’s got an airbag in the wheel, yes. I know it’s illegal…

So no one knows?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Can't say definitely but the Celsior wheel on a cut I had looked pretty well identical to a Soarer wheel except for the airbag/horn pad so I'd say that would be your best bet.
    Even though they list boss kits for some models they often aren't compatible with the slip rings used for the horn and cruise wiring so you may have to modify those parts a bit.
    If one of your bags is disabled it means that any others in the system will not operate too. Removing airbags is akin to having no seatbelts, it's also very obvious to police/transport department. Up to you of course.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

the steering column is 3 pieces... the steering mechanism itself is designed and engineered like that for a reason.. nobody i know dares to touch them unless the airbags have popped and need to be replaced... even then it's not an easy job and in some cases the top shaft has to be replaced, albeit the whole thing.

dude it's a lexus.. if something is triggered u'll lose both airbags (and the side ones if ithas curtains) and the engine will be immobilised (from memory about the LS400 wiring).

then again if you're doing a conversion or something and it's not going to be street driven u might have to go custom.. but again, IMO, the streering wheel is not conventional so a boss-kit might be impossible.. i.e has a very weird way of connecting the steering wheel to the column to prvevent young schmucks from playing with it.. i'd like to be proven wrong though

(LS400 without cruise control!!!??? what have you done!!!!)
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Thanks for the help guys, interesting comments about the steering column; I’ve seen two Celsior’s with aftermarket steering wheels, and were hoping the Australian delivered one wasn’t too much different.

I’ll be running a manual gearbox behind the 1uzfe and an aftermarket ECU if that’s any benefit to working out the stock ECU problem - With setting things off?

On a side note, Vios-GT_07 you’re not the only one who thinks I’m mad bastardizing a LS400 like this, I think possibly I’m the only one excentric enough too do it. It's only 1680kg, once the trim and sound deadening are gone, just think of it as a Mark 2/Chaser...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Thanks for the help guys, interesting comments about the steering column; I’ve seen two <b>Celsior’s</b> with aftermarket steering wheels, and were hoping the Australian delivered one wasn’t too much different.

I’ll be running a manual gearbox behind the 1uzfe and an <b>aftermarket ECU</b> if that’s any benefit to working out the stock ECU problem - With setting things off?

On a side note, Vios-GT_07 you’re not the only one who thinks I’m mad bastardizing a LS400 like this, I think possibly I’m the only one excentric enough too do it. It's only 1680kg, once the trim and sound deadening are gone, just think of it as a Mark 2/Chaser...
    dude if you get away with an aftermarket steering wheel please post up how it was done! i thought Celsiors and Lexus were way different, one coming from U.S. and the other from Japan... hence the difference in price as well..

if u dun mind me asking, but what exactly are you planning to do? touring car or something?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Just after some info on what steering wheel boss kit I need to order for my LS400. A few places have said Soarer, but weren’t 100% sure.

My car had cruise control, but it has been disconnected, and won’t be re connected so it’s not a concern about needing a boss to suit the cruise switch.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Josh
    ah okay.. i've got confirmation that the SC wheel and the LS400 wheen isn't the same.. so no... the boss kit wouldn't fit.. got this info off a Lexus soarer forums..

p.s. sorry if i was rude.. didn't mean to bag u or anything ... it'd be interesting to know what ur plans are though~ and see what them Lexus LS and Celsiors are capable of besides dish and airbags.. (was deducted 10 points of rep from the admin for unsuitable material..heheh)
    Last edited by Vios-GT_07; 20-06-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    dude if you get away with an aftermarket steering wheel please post up how it was done! i thought Celsiors and Lexus were way different, one coming from U.S. and the other from Japan... hence the difference in price as well..
    Where does this stuff come from?

Lexus, with the exception of some RX 330/350, are built in Japan.
    Lexus are not built in the states.

As for Celsior/Lexus,

Celsior is a Toyota model,
    Lexus is a brand.

The Celsior is quite similar to the LS400, needless to say, trim and equipment options will differ between the two.

dude i didnt' say they were built there...

they "come" from U.S.
    Luxury EXports U.S. = Lexus..

Without going into too much detail or sounding like on jumping on the drift bandwagon.. The car will used to slide.

It will never be a competitive championship car, just a fun drift car, and the odd small event. I’ll use it in some track days as well to see what sort of lap times I can pull around QR. I’m apart of the Porsche car club, so I wouldn’t mind giving the N/A Porkas` a run for there money

Ideally I was going to just bite the bullet and go 1jz or in a perfect world just go 2jz. But what’s the fun in that, just utilize the motor I have got and eventually single turbo it… Plus a lot… Lot more

erm... good for you!!! and that's not an eccentricity..it's chasing a dream to me!! wish you all the best and good luck!!

the car is fairly heavy eh but the 1UZ is a "preferred' NA motor.. and good for trumpets, S/C or twins .. single is good too if you can get it plumbed right.. the main concern is the weight and all the goodies of the Lexus u'll be hauling around.. does yours have a mini-fridge somewhere, or airbag suspension? well it's the luxury things like that.. leather seats and all that weight a ton.. plan to strip it down ? stick with the 1UZ.. V8 !!! i reckon if u get it light enough the engine is plenty powerful.. and a good suspension will see some good action !! IMO the lexus package is fairly well balanced as it is...

sorry i can't help u further with the boss kit, but maybe u should get a metal fabricater to customize the closest thing u can find...
    cheers mate!

I have/had normal struts. I’m now running a set of Racing Logics (installing them tonight) that are height and damper adjustable with a pretty crazy spring rate. So handling wise it will be awesome.

My LS weights in at around 1680kg, then plus some for sound gear. So stock vs. stock it’s only about 20kg heaver or so then a Soarer. My last “fun car” – See signature, was almost completely striped out, everything down to the sound deadening, only had a dash, two door cards seats and a roll cage.

The Lexus will get much the same sort of job. It will never be a light car, but will come in at around R32 GTR weight.. Well should do anyway.

- Josh