Thread: Crap Fuel anyone?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Crap Fuel anyone?

I can't prove any of the following of course; so I'm just putting this out there. . .

I recently had a member < thank's again Vito > adjust the Fuel Mapping in my AE92 < B/Port+Quads+Adaptronic > via a couple of Bum-Dyno runs and the car has been running the best it ever has. I usually fill it < 98RON only > at a local Caltex. . .

Anyway; I don't run the thing that often < 2-3 times / month > so I decided to dig it out for a run down the South Coast today. I pulled into a 7-11 / Mobil on the Princes Hwy somewhere between Carlton & Blakehurst (I'll let you join the dots) in Sydney's south. Filled it up completely ($60 worth).

To cut a long story short the car felt like it had dropped 10-15kW, wouldn't rev cleanly plus the idle was slightly "Poppy".

I have no intention of challenging the Retailer as I know it's a fool's errand< the only winners are Lawyers >. . . I just want to confirm whether or not the fuel is dodgy so I know not to buy from them again.

Question: Is there a fuel testing Lab in Sydney Metro area able to analyse a sample without breaking the bank?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Crap Fuel anyone?

How old was fuel already in tank? I know this because my Kawasaki sat for four months without use, not even started and the fuel in total was about six months old, and I could not get it to run when starting. I rang Shell and asked if fuel can deteriorate over time, they said it may collect condensation and some chemicals can evaporate, so lose quality. I drained fuel and replaced with fresh fuel and started and ran no problem. There may have been enough old fuel to contaminate new fuel.

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Did you save the old map so ya can load the old one back in ?
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I had similar when the wife put United premium in my 18RG powered RA23. Ran like crap till I filled with Caltex premium.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.